Sign in to follow this  
Kowalski86

Hand painting body sections

Some Tamiya bodys call for quite a bit of masking tape and some paint for smaller parts, like the front air dam on the NSU TT.

Is there any type of paint that I could apply with a brush instead? Of course I'd still mask the area off, I'd just have more control with a brush.

All paint for lexan/polycarbonate RC bodies that is sold in bottles to be used in airbrush can be applied with a brush. BITD Tamiya PS paints were sold in glass jars also but they don't do that anymore. You can "decant" some spray paint in a small container and use that when it is just for some small details.

I used regular "real" acrylic like Vallejo or MIG and then lightly spray over in multiple coats with PS or whatever. Lacquer can attack acrylic so light coats and allowed to dry is the key. Oh, I do decant PS paint from the can and airbrush them so it does help with the lightly spray part.

Forgot, you can use PS paint too if you wish. See this note on the page for PC (the old Tamiya brush on paint for PC) on a seller's page.

Pysbc9S.jpg

See my post on how to get a larger amount out.

lN8rlsG.jpeg

Thank you for the tips everyone

Considering that I'm new to painting bodies, I've decided to bite the bullet and do everything by the book (or at least close), just with newspaper or a plastic bag to cover a portion of the body.

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

Thank you for the tips everyone

Considering that I'm new to painting bodies, I've decided to bite the bullet and do everything by the book (or at least close), just with newspaper or a plastic bag to cover a portion of the body.

Don't do that, use cheap painter masking tape for the most part but Tamiya masking tape for the edge where it matters. There is a reason why almost all model makers use only Tamiya tape, but it is expensive if used to mask the whole body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Don't do that, use cheap painter masking tape for the most part but Tamiya masking tape for the edge where it matters. There is a reason why almost all model makers use only Tamiya tape, but it is expensive if used to mask the whole body.

Thank you for the heads up, that sounds like a better idea than what I had in mind.