Wayne Campbell

Sport tuned motor on Monster Beetle

I just bought a 2015 Monster Beetle, and I ordered a MIP Super Ball Differential, so I can run it with a stonger motor. Does Tamiya’s Sport tuned motor fit, and in case yes, what pinion could I use to squeeze some more speed out of it? Alternatively, I already have a lightly tuned motor. What pinion could I use on that one?

Apologies, if this is a stupid question. I have been away from RC since the late 80ies and back then we used Technigold motors. 

The Monster Beetle uses a long brass 10T pinion.  You can change it for others, there's some info here:

A Sport Tuned will slot straight it using the standard pinion and gearing.  The standard gear ratio is around 14:1 which sounds low, but like a Lunch Box there are huge tyres to contend with causing a large amount of rollout.  You don't want the motor to get too hot, and the Sport Tuned can get a bit toasty if geared too low in my experience.

I would use the standard kit pinion and a Sport Tuned and see how it goes, I reckon that'll be fast enough given the Monster Beetle is quite tall and therefore easy to flip over!

(For info, I have a Monster Beetle in my build queue and I'm going to run the standard diff with the kit pinion and a Torque Tuned motor)

• Thanks 2

On 2/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, Twinfan said:

The Monster Beetle uses a long brass 10T pinion.  You can change it for others, there's some info here:

A Sport Tuned will slot straight it using the standard pinion and gearing.  The standard gear ratio is around 14:1 which sounds low, but like a Lunch Box there are huge tyres to contend with causing a large amount of rollout.  You don't want the motor to get too hot, and the Sport Tuned can get a bit toasty if geared too low in my experience.

I would use the standard kit pinion and a Sport Tuned and see how it goes, I reckon that'll be fast enough given the Monster Beetle is quite tall and therefore easy to flip over!

(For info, I have a Monster Beetle in my build queue and I'm going to run the standard diff with the kit pinion and a Torque Tuned motor)

Tamiya sport tuned motors getting this hot is because they are no where near the claimed 350 g-cm of torque, atleast the black cans arent.  The torque tuned motor is more powerful and could be a better choice for the MB especially when using it with the stock gearing

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 12:39 AM, Wayne Campbell said:

Does Tamiya’s Sport tuned motor fit, and in case yes, what pinion could I use to squeeze some more speed out of it? Alternatively, I already have a lightly tuned motor. What pinion could I use on that one?

I'd save the money and use your Lighlty Tuned motor, they put out good torque which helps when you're off-roading a monster truck.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 4:34 AM, Kowalski86 said:

I'd save the money and use your Lighlty Tuned motor, they put out good torque which helps when you're off-roading a monster truck.

I have both and want to experiment a bit. Thank you!

On 2/10/2023 at 6:39 AM, Wayne Campbell said:

I just bought a 2015 Monster Beetle, and I ordered a MIP Super Ball Differential, so I can run it with a stonger motor. Does Tamiya’s Sport tuned motor fit, and in case yes, what pinion could I use to squeeze some more speed out of it? Alternatively, I already have a lightly tuned motor. What pinion could I use on that one?

Apologies, if this is a stupid question. I have been away from RC since the late 80ies and back then we used Technigold motors. 

Don't know if it's a bit late for a bit of mip advice mate? But When you put your mip diff in it make it on the loose side rather than what they recommend maybe an extra 1/4 turn loose? I think it's set for the frog on instructions settings? I did to instructions and my MB just pirouetted on its roof bouncing off all the kerbs as it skied down the road:(

20210807_134114.jpg

• Haha 1

I have the MIP ball diff fitted to my MB, adjusted to the stock spec and running with a Torque Tuned motor and stock 10T brass pinion. It runs really well and is great fun for light bashing. I'm tempted to put a slightly more powerful motor in it, but I think the balance is just right as it is tbh. Plus any more speed will run a high risk of more damage, given the old design and not having the strongest of plastics - and also mine is an original '86er with a fair few bits of original plastic still on her😉

Right I'm off to read that thread linked above, I'm happy with the stock gearing, but would prefer a steel pinion if that's an option, plus I'm interested to see how a different sized pinion can be used, given the fact there is no adjustability for this in the standard gearbox setup.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 9:33 PM, moffman said:

Don't know if it's a bit late for a bit of mip advice mate? But When you put your mip diff in it make it on the loose side rather than what they recommend maybe an extra 1/4 turn loose? I think it's set for the frog on instructions settings? I did to instructions and my MB just pirouetted on its roof bouncing off all the kerbs as it skied down the road:(

20210807_134114.jpg

thank you! it’s not too late. still waiting for the diff to arrive. 

• Thanks 1