Sign in to follow this  
Fabia130vRS

Crawler esc brushless, what motor? Speed Passion Reventon R _ Crawler

Hi,

I recently bought a good deal RC touring car, it came with a 'Speed Passion Reventon R' 70A ESC and 6.5T brushless motor.

I have seen in the manual it does have some kind of crawler mode/firmware...

Did somebody try it, maybe? What motor should I get with this? I would guess something like a 1800kV or similar... My smallest kV count I have is a 13,5T 2450kV would that make sense?

In general, how is the Reventon R in crawler mode performing? My guess would be good but would like to hear first-hand thoughts if there are some

SP000064_ESC-600x450.jpg

SP000064_Program%20card-600x450.jpg

19 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

That program box is really hard to find, I have to source mine from half way across the world. I have 2 if you need one, but the thing is SP is now long out of production and website dead. So it is rather difficult to find the firmware as well. I more or less gave up on mine.

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

That program box is really hard to find, I have to source mine from half way across the world. I have 2 if you need one, but the thing is SP is now long out of production and website dead. So it is rather difficult to find the firmware as well. I more or less gave up on mine.

Oh that is a petty.

I bought a Yokomo BD7 2014 with the speed passion reventon R and the speed passion 6.5T motor, with program card as on picture. They come with open box everything.

Picture of what's comming

3886f3d5-ebba-45d1-aa00-6e87f740d1d4?rul

My plan is either to get the ESC to work for my crawler or switch this setup to my Yokomo BD7 2015. Sell the BD7 2014 and buy a motor for the crawler if it works out, if not I got the speed passion very cheap.

I haven't researched anything yet as I do not have it in front yet. I guess the firmware could be sourced, I saw the whole company seems dead. I am sure back in 2018 I was reading a lot of recommendations on here to get these Reventon's, they are supposed to be good. I found out just later they were 40A and 70A ESC models. Mine is the R and 70A, would be a nice upgrade for my new bought crawler. :lol:

Mine is the S and it does not come with reverse.not sure about the rest. I tried to look for a firmware update that will give it reverse but failed to find any so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

"This manipulation is only suitable for Speed Passion Reventon Pro ESC, don't try it with your SP Reventon R or S;",

Not for you or me.

• Like 1

I see, well it is what it is then. You are sure the crawler mode is firmware not one of the few drive modes?

Did you manage to connect it to the PC? does the software include firmware or is it in an additional folder?

I saw these came with PC CD with the program on it and cable etc... Mine has the box and the cable but there is no CD visible. Would be nice if it was inside the box :D

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I see, well it is what it is then. You are sure the crawler mode is firmware not one of the few drive modes?

Did you manage to connect it to the PC? does the software include firmware or is it in an additional folder?

I saw these came with PC CD with the program on it and cable etc... Mine has the box and the cable but there is no CD visible. Would be nice if it was inside the box :D

Mine is a NIB one from 3R.

https://3racing.shop/collections/esc-x-motor-combo-set/products/speed-passion-13-5r-combo-esc-1

No CD or cable. I got the program box separately and had not attempted to connect to a PC yet since there is no drivers so will not be detected correctly. Cannot answer about the crawler mode as mine is fixed to race mode only, cannot be changed. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I had a similar issue about 5 or so years ago when I bought the Reventon Pro 1.1 140a and needed to set it to blinky mode for stock class racing.  Its probably the same process.  I wasn't able to set it to blinky with the program card, I had to use the PC software to change the profile to stock.  I assume you'll have the same thing

This thread was what helped me

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162231

I was able to download the software.  The link below looks like it might be the right one?  No idea though

https://reventon.software.informer.com/download/

I probably have the zip file somewhere but have changed computers since then, the old computer still works so I could check for it if you can't find the software

The program card I have looks just like your one too.  I think I might have another one somewhere but not entirely sure.  I was using the Reventon Pro ESC's until last month when they were ruined in the flood so if I have one then I don't need it anymore.

Just found an old thread from Nov 2017 so they've lasted me that long.  They were great ESC's and still performed really well against much more modern ones.  Hopefully you can get it working.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 2:46 PM, Fabia130vRS said:

Hi,

I recently bought a good deal RC touring car, it came with a 'Speed Passion Reventon R' 70A ESC and 6.5T brushless motor.

I have seen in the manual it does have some kind of crawler mode/firmware...

Did somebody try it, maybe? What motor should I get with this? I would guess something like a 1800kV or similar... My smallest kV count I have is a 13,5T 2450kV would that make sense?

In general, how is the Reventon R in crawler mode performing? My guess would be good but would like to hear first-hand thoughts if there are some

SP000064_ESC-600x450.jpg

If you can’t get that to work look up Hobbywing 1080 it’s for crawlers. I had one in an axial but rock crawlers weren’t for me they just too slow. Or if you want brushless then go for castle mamba micro x2. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:34 AM, alvinlwh said:

Mine is the S and it does not come with reverse.not sure about the rest. I tried to look for a firmware update that will give it reverse but failed to find any so far.

So... I came to a conclusion... 

I tried to connect the program card to my daily laptop I use, it is running Windows 10 pro. I couldn't get the UART USB driver to install on win10.

I figured it is because in the Reventon R manual it clearly says Windows 7, XP / Vista :rolleyes:

So I digged out my old Acer Aspire One ZG8 that I upgraded to max spec and had a Linux distro on it. But managed to find a clean Windows 7 Enterprise licensed copy and installed that instead of the Linux.

And voilà! 

Who would know it bloddy works.

The program itself has all the firmware's with it.

First picture when I first connected it (it had a DRIFT firmware)

Top right corner you can see the temperature of the ESC

uXgb5AF.jpg

Crawler Firmware uploading (selected from a menu with lots of firmware's)

L3PVslz.jpg

URZCDvk.jpg

• Like 2

p9hsM67.jpg

Combined with a 10'' notebook to take with me to the trails to play with settings, as with the crawler firmware you can't use the program card anymore. :D

LDosIEh.jpg

I love it !

• Like 1

After waiting for a long time to gather all the bits I need (I cannot believe I cannot find a mini USB cable at home anymore) and dragging out as many old tech gear as I can, it worked! On a Windows 7 laptop. Turns out I need to install the software and drivers separately. Just as I was about to shut down, I decided to look in Device Manager to see that it is an unrecognised device, I looked again in the zip for the driver folder. Now I have reverse after messing around with the firmware. Drift and Modify0 has reverse, while Modify1 was installed OOB.

xG7nE5R.jpg

Now to plug into a RX and motor to test it out.

OjpHA6h.jpg

Yes! Reverse now works!

I am going back to my Windows 10 computer, try installing the drivers to see if it will work. Should have picked up more of them when they are still in stock and cheap.

EDIT: It can work on a Windows 10 no problem! Installing the driver can be a pain though as Windows has a hard lock on it, requiring a deep dive into the registry to unlock it. Simple running as admin will not work.

2xkQ1DD.jpg

Here is it on a Windows 10 unit, wasted half a day dragging out old Windows 7 and 8 machines out.

🙄

FUTHER EDIT: Final check without computer.

BXF791m.jpg

F/B/R mode is now selectable.

rVcScx5.jpg

Firmware changed.