Sign in to follow this  
Simon998

Tool for threading holes before building

I vaguely remember reading about an M3 threading tool much akin to a screwdriver but for creating threads in the plastic before you put the screws in. Does such thing exist or am I mad?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-re-threading-tool-m3-5-x-0-6mm/59312 - Like this only M3 x 0.5mm

I'm in the midst of changing all my standard tamiya screws to hex heads and was going to start with a new lower deck and pre-thread all the holes.

I've got both the Tamiya thread forming tap and a basic M3 tap. My basic one is more of a tapered tap and as such I quite like it - it cuts more gradually so removes less material and the screw will gradually grip more as it gets deeper into the hole. I think I actually prefer it to the proper Tamiya tool. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bavee said:

Tamiya Gewindeschneider/ Gewindebohrer für M3-Gewinde #54232

See that's the kinda thread I seen but with a screwdriver handle, that thread looks completely different to the regular cutting taps I have

Just now, BuggyDad said:

I've got both the Tamiya thread forming tap and a basic M3 tap. My basic one is more of a tapered tap and as such I quite like it - it cuts more gradually so removes less material and the screw will gradually grip more as it gets deeper into the hole. I think I actually prefer it to the proper Tamiya tool. 

That's the reply I was after! Great news, means I don't have to buy more tools.

Cheers guys.

The important thing is that you want a thread ROLLING tap, not a thread cutting tap :)

I searched  for a cheap one off eBay and ended up buying the Tamiya one. Quality is outstanding and it works well for bottoming thread (non through holes) like we have all over our RC cars.

To hold it you do not need to spend $$$ on the Tamiya handle though, a regular T handle (Irwin or Stanley or etc etc) is fine, just get the smallest size.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I only cut the first few threads with a taper to get things started, generally. So the end result may be that the screw itself rolls rather than cuts most of the thread. 

The blunt head of the Tamiya one is called a bottoming tap. It allows you to thread all the way to the bottom of a blind hole. This is actually a desired feature in some cases.

Also the shank on the chinese ones is very slim and it could be difficult to find a tap holder of the right size. Just a heads up.