Saito2

Reminds me of Tamiya...

I hate the business policies of the all-devouring, all-trademarking Traxxas Corporation, but watching these in action reminds me of Tamiya...

Traxxas TRX-4 Chevrolet K10 Cheyenne High Trail Edition [VIDEO] - RC Car  Action

Traxxas TRX-4 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT High Trail Edition [VIDEO] - RC Car  Action

Its a bummer licensing cost so much money. Looking at these two, if Traxxas ever does a solid axle monster truck, I think they'd knock it out of the park (you'll still find me wheelin' a Clod Buster though ;)).

• Like 3

Tamiya should just respell (mis-spell) the names and we will fix it later.. like TOYATO.  

jk ;)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I hate the business policies of the all-devouring, all-trademarking Traxxas Corporation, but watching these in action reminds me of Tamiya...

Traxxas TRX-4 Chevrolet K10 Cheyenne High Trail Edition [VIDEO] - RC Car  Action

Traxxas TRX-4 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT High Trail Edition [VIDEO] - RC Car  Action

Its a bummer licensing cost so much money. Looking at these two, if Traxxas ever does a monster truck, I think they'd knock it out of the park (you'll still find me wheelin' a Clod Buster though ;)).

I have to say that if I hadn’t recently built a TRX4 builders kit with a sport body one of these would be on my hit list. Sadly they don’t make them as kits otherwise…………..

The Chevy looks pretty good, but the proportions on the Ford seem off. Wheel arches are too big. I know it's so those giant meats have clearance, but I'd rather have realistic proportions and smaller tires.

3 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Tamiya should just respell (mis-spell) the names and we will fix it later.. like TOYATO.  

jk ;)

I'd love a Toyato. No way I'd be fixing it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

I have to say that if I hadn’t recently built a TRX4 builders kit with a sport body one of these would be on my hit list. Sadly they don’t make them as kits otherwise…………..

You might be able to buy the body seperate, unfortunately TRX4 bodies aren't cheap.

Im surprised that Tamiya doesn't yank parts from their model line-up and sell them as "scale accessories". But I guess hop-ups for on-road cars sell more in Japan.

Might be blasphemy, but the Traxxas TRX4 is what Tamiya should have built.  The Hi-lift chassis had some great bodies, a steel C chassis, solid axles, a multiple speed transmission, and lockable/open diffs (manually, but they were there)  and far more scale than the Bruiser. Traxxas simply took it to the next level. And while it may not look super scale, it certainly drives that way. 

• Like 4

On 2/18/2023 at 8:35 AM, Saito2 said:

Ya, the "business policy" of Traxxas does really suck.  They make some cool stuff, but I do find it hard to justify handing them my cash most days.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:35 AM, Saito2 said:

Its a bummer licensing cost so much money. Looking at these two, if Traxxas ever does a monster truck, I think they'd knock it out of the park (you'll still find me wheelin' a Clod Buster though ;)).

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/36034-61bigfoot-classic

and no, i don't think they knocked it out of the park...  it is a two wheel drive blashpemy based on what i think is a stampede chassis.  BLECH

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, tim.senecal said:

and no, i don't think they knocked it out of the park...  it is a two wheel drive blashpemy based on what i think is a stampede chassis.  BLECH

I'm sorry. I'm making mistakes a lot lately. I must proof-read my post more carefully to avoid any mistakes like that. I get caught up in the world of monster truck racing that I automatically think "Solid Axle Monster Truck" like the Losi LMT, Axial SMT10, Tamiya Clod Buster, TXT-2 etc. which is what I meant by that statement (which I will now correct) 

No, I don't consider anything Traxxas currently offers, Bigfoot Stampede included, to be true representations of a real monster truck. I meant if they built anything like the LMT, they would probably "knock it out of the park". Again I apologize for any oversight on my part that may have led to confusion.

They do look fantastic.  Have been eyeing TRX4s for a long time, I just refuse to buy an RTR crawler, takes all the fun out of it.  And yes, Traxxas would most likely build an awesome solid axle monster.  I'd have to buy that...

• Like 1

Really doing my best to resist ordering the Ford High Trail.  Just a beautiful truck and I really enjoy the TRX-4 platform.  

Now, I will agree with @Saito2 that the Stampede is no true Monster Truck, but I still say drive one if you get the chance.  Great runners, super tough chassis!

• Like 1

This is my homage! A Radio Shack body on an MF01x chassis.

52668101761_6e7121321d_b.jpg

But I think I need to build another with slightly beefier Monster Truck proportions...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GeeWings said:

This is my homage! A Radio Shack body on an MF01x chassis.

52668101761_6e7121321d_b.jpg

But I think I need to build another with slightly beefier Monster Truck proportions...

Love this. I put sand paddle tires on those same size wheels to give a more monster truck size and scale on mine.

On low gear it was a beast off road. The right and left side differential is genius as it allows the difference in speeds around a corner to some extent whilst being much better than full diffs off road. And  370 motor works well!

Still might not beat a TRX4 😁

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

Still might not beat a TRX4 😁

You might be right there! 😂

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 4:23 PM, Saito2 said:

I'm sorry. I'm making mistakes a lot lately. I must proof-read my post more carefully to avoid any mistakes like that. I get caught up in the world of monster truck racing that I automatically think "Solid Axle Monster Truck" like the Losi LMT, Axial SMT10, Tamiya Clod Buster, TXT-2 etc. which is what I meant by that statement (which I will now correct) 

No, I don't consider anything Traxxas currently offers, Bigfoot Stampede included, to be true representations of a real monster truck. I meant if they built anything like the LMT, they would probably "knock it out of the park". Again I apologize for any oversight on my part that may have led to confusion.

Saito,  i did not take it that way at all...  i simply wanted to let the viewers of this thread know that Traxxas had already tried to make a "Monster Truck", and it was a bad try.   I do agree that the TRX-4 is a much better looking vehicle, but like most people here, i buy the Tamiya products primarily because i like building kits.  on a side note, i would not be the least bit surprised if the TRX-4 f150 body is the same as the one used for the Bigfoot.

based on the statements that both Saito2 and bRIBEGuy said regarding Traxxas' policies, I had to research what all that meant...  Having read up on it, i don't think i will ever buy any Traxxas merchandise.

5 minutes ago, tim.senecal said:

Saito,  i did not take it that way at all...  i simply wanted to let the viewers of this thread know that Traxxas had already tried to make a "Monster Truck", and it was a bad try.   I do agree that the TRX-4 is a much better looking vehicle, but like most people here, i buy the Tamiya products primarily because i like building kits.  on a side note, i would not be the least bit surprised if the TRX-4 f150 body is the same as the one used for the Bigfoot.

I dont think the Stampede Bigfoot was an actual shot at making amonster truck, it was just a license to print money (literally).  If they made an actual truck I'd buy it, but I also don't go out of my way to give them any money.  The only Traxxas vehicles I own are a Stampede that I got for free and a couple of used Summits I bought to cut up and make a crawler.  Now that I think about it, I've never bought a new Traxxas product other than a few small parts.  Now I feel better. 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:07 PM, tim.senecal said:

....on a side note, i would not be the least bit surprised if the TRX-4 f150 body is the same as the one used for the Bigfoot.

Not at all, the Stampede bodies are much smaller...1/12 ish or about HPI wheely king size. The F150 is a new mold. Uses a lot of the same parts as the Bronco it looks like. 

I'm up to 4 TRX4's now, and seriously considering adding the Ford. It's a beauty. Wish it came with a clear body, but it is what it is I guess, and I'd most likely paint it blue anyway. :)Fall season here is leaf season, 2.2 trucks are perfect for that time of the year since they ride higher and can dig down though the leaves.  

Of course, that's the season where I run my CR01's so I'm pretty much covered... but it's still tempting! 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:15 PM, 87lc2 said:

and a couple of used Summits I bought to cut up and make a crawler.  

Almost missed that... I've got a modified T-maxx crawler and 2 Telluride/Stampede based 4x4 crawlers. I get some seriously strange looks when I show up at the trail with them, but they crawl fantastic, especially the 'pede. It's as capable as anything I own.  

• Like 1