Wayne Campbell

Egress with TBLM-02S and a T22

I am building an Egress black edition. Both gear boxes run smoothly, diffs work smoothly, the TBLM-02S turns nicely too. But as soon as I put them together, it all rattles and shakes, and clacks loudly. I can barely turn the wheel hubs, and I don’t want to connect it to a battery like this. I am using a T22 that came with the car. The motor is fully tilted to the right, but it seems pretty tight in the gearbox.

Did anyone experience something like this before? My best guess is, I need a smaller pinion, but not sure…

Changing pinion size shouldn't make the car run any smoother by hand. It sounds like you may have set it too tight. There should be a slight gap between the teeth of the pinion and the spur(?) gear. Can you back it off a touch and see if that helps?

Is the pinion also fully tightened against the flat part of the motor shaft, and set to the correct distance?

I'm no expert in this stuff though, hopefully someone else will chime in to help further :D

5 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Changing pinion size shouldn't make the car run any smoother by hand. It sounds like you may have set it too tight. There should be a slight gap between the teeth of the pinion and the spur(?) gear. Can you back it off a touch and see if that helps?

Is the pinion also fully tightened against the flat part of the motor shaft, and set to the correct distance?

I'm no expert in this stuff though, hopefully someone else will chime in to help further :D

the motor sits on a plate that attaches to the gear box. One can tilt it, so the pinion moves closer or further away from the big gear. With this particular motor and the standard 22T pinion, I tilted it as far away as possible, but the gears still seem to touch closely. there seems to be no gap at the bottom of the teeth. It looks too tight to me, but it’s the standard pinion, so I am a bit confused.

Thanks for your help.

Not quite sure I understand, but you NEED the gears to touch and mesh - that's how the power from the motor gets to the wheels.  It sounds like you have the pinion way too far away then and it's making very rough contact with the drive gear?

The pinion gear, on the motor, should mesh with the large drive gear with only a slight gap between them.  If you add a piece of paper between the gears and remove once you've tightened the motor mount, that's how it's described on other models.  You want a slight gap for the gears to breathe a little.

See the pic on Step 12 of the build guide.

16 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Not quite sure I understand, but you NEED the gears to touch and mesh - that's how the power from the motor gets to the wheels.  It sounds like you have the pinion way too far away then and it's making very rough contact with the drive gear?

The pinion gear, on the motor, should mesh with the large drive gear with only a slight gap between them.  If you add a piece of paper between the gears and remove once you've tightened the motor mount, that's how it's described on other models.  You want a slight gap for the gears to breathe a little.

See the pic on page 12 of the build guide.

Sure, the gears do touch and mesh, but as far as I can tell, they seem to be too close. Make fists and press your knuckles against each other. That’s how it looks. there is no wiggle room, and I wonder why, given I use the standard T22.

That’s why I was wondering is someone has experience with using a smaller pinion with the TBLM-02S in the Egress.   

I usually grab a parts bag from the kit, cut out a small section of the plastic bag and put it in between the pinion gear and the spur gear, hold it tight, tighten the motor bolts and remove the slither of plastic bag , never fails, never destroys spur gears etc etc.

Edited by Snappy1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Snappy1 said:

I usually grab a parts bag from the kit, cut out a small section of the plastic bag and put it in between the pinion gear and the spur gear, hold it tight, tighten the motor bolts and remove the slither of plastic bag , never fails, never destroys spur gears etc etc.

thank you for the tip!