CKU87

Optima Mid - Lets talk option parts

Hi everyone,

just received my new Optima Mid Kit and already looking for some tuning parts which I want to accomodate right from the beginning. I havent opened the kit yet (its sitting at home and I am on a business trip at the moment) and I have some hard time to follow the instructions about some option parts.

The carbon and aluminium parts are clear.

1-S34010HT: These are five M4 Titanium screws that go into the front gear housing, holding the top plate, right (manual step 33)? Why was that an option part at all? I would unterstand a Titanium screw kit for the entire kit, but changing only two screws? Or do I miss something?

BRG007F: Am I right in the assumption that these go into the steering link (manual step 23)? So purchasing OTW143 should already have both included?

BRG002: Also manual step 23. I assume they replace part OT267/5. But why would I need four of these bearings? Or is it just the fact that they are only sold as a kit consisting of four?

UTW008: These are only two more options between medium and hard for the back dampers, right?

OTW125B: They are out of stock everywhere I looked. Does anyone know if they were discontinued?

OTW135: Does the Optima Mid have front stablizers? Or does this set only mount to the back of the car? EDIT: Okay my mistake, this set is for both front and rear.

UM516: What is the advantage these slipper pads give compared to the standard kit ones?

W0201HAgain, whats the advantage of these? Lighter? More durable?

LA43H/R: Is this a stronger plastic component compared to the kit one? Would you use them only in combination with with W0201H balls?

I must say, I find that despite the Optima Mid was such an asked model from the RC community, there is barely and information on the 2022 re-release...

• Like 1

I'll try and answer a few.

OWT125B are not discontinued. Kyosho recently ran a batch off, but they sold out in like a day. You've got to be quick to get them!

I replaced UT019 with BRG007F.

OTW143 does include the flanged bearings.

AFAIK BRG002 are sold in a pack of four, but you only need two.

UM516 slipper pads are better for higher powered motors. They should last longer and stand up to more abuse.

LA43H/R are stronger than the stock ones. You can use them with the W0201H balls. Personally I find the stock ones strong enough.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Kai City RC By the way, I love your YouTube channel! It was my go to place when looking to buy my first Kyosho set.

About the LA43H/R: Could this be a printing error in the manual. It seems that I either find the LA43H (Hard) ball ends, or the LA43R (Red) ball ends. I haven't seen or found any "hard" and "red" combo. Neither as a set nor on any Optima Mid build. Or is the manual to read in the way that you can either choose between the hard and red variant?

As one can see, the collection is growing. Still have a big order in the mail...including the Le Mans 240S combo (ESC and the 15.5T motor). Also, according to the Kyosho website, the Le Mans 240S ESC is discontinued: https://rc.kyosho.com/en/37051.html

I was a bit surprised to see that. Considering the re-release strategy from Kyosho, this will likely not be the last Kyosho Legendary car we see. So I wonder which Sensored Brushless ESC combo they will advertise in their future releases.

IMG_1721.jpg

Edited by CKU87
Correct mistakes.
  • Like 1

Thanks! 😊

Kyosho's manuals can at times be a little cryptic and their translations sometimes not quite right! 😁

With the LA43H/R, you are correct. You can either have red, or hard. But not both. I had no idea the 240S was discontinued! 😩 I was thinking to use one in an up-coming Dirt Master build. I hope they replace it with something similar. (I like the fact it doesn't need a cooling fan)

You've assembled quite a selection of option parts! 👍 I was tempted by a lot of those myself, especially the carbon. But ended up putting the funds towards other kits. It does look great when complete though - by chance someone brought in a freshly build Mid with full carbon options to the circuit my local circuit the other day. It looked 😎

And fingers crossed Kyosho release another buggy in the Legendary Series line up!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kai City RC said:

Thanks! 😊

Kyosho's manuals can at times be a little cryptic and their translations sometimes not quite right! 😁

With the LA43H/R, you are correct. You can either have red, or hard. But not both. I had no idea the 240S was discontinued! 😩 I was thinking to use one in an up-coming Dirt Master build. I hope they replace it with something similar. (I like the fact it doesn't need a cooling fan)

You've assembled quite a selection of option parts! 👍 I was tempted by a lot of those myself, especially the carbon. But ended up putting the funds towards other kits. It does look great when complete though - by chance someone brought in a freshly build Mid with full carbon options to the circuit my local circuit the other day. It looked 😎

And fingers crossed Kyosho release another buggy in the Legendary Series line up!

It's probably because Performa Racing stopped to produce their ESC Blinky 2S-3S (I just checked and it is discontinued). The performa racing ESC was red. The Kyosho 240S was just a rebranded one in silver. It was a very small, fanless and very practical... That means as well I'll have to find some alternative ESC for my Tomahawk...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silvertriple said:

It's probably because Performa Racing stopped to produce their ESC Blinky 2S-3S (I just checked and it is discontinued). The performa racing ESC was red. The Kyosho 240S was just a rebranded one in silver. It was a very small, fanless and very practical... That means as well I'll have to find some alternative ESC for my Tomahawk...

There are still plenty of the Le Mans 240s ESC  units available in the UK, if anyone is really desperate !!....

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:46 AM, CKU87 said:

IMG_1721.jpg

Just a quick "thank you" from me for posting this pic - it made me realise I hadn't ordered enough 92413 for my Legendary Series Ultima - I'd only got one, not realising I needed two packs for the four arms.  Doh!  So I ordered them late last night aolong with some diff oil that I'd also missed  :D

Are the W0141V washers just a colour change?  They look to be the exact same parts as standard but anodised blue?

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, quattrokid said:

There are still plenty of the Le Mans 240s ESC  units available in the UK, if anyone is really desperate !!....

Crazy cash at £100+ though!

2 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Are the W0141V washers just a colour change?  They look to be the exact same parts as standard but anodised blue?

Yes, as far as I can tell.

4 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Crazy cash at £100+ though!

Yes crazy but in the UK we have had to get used to crazy prices which after some time become almost normal 😂

Edit, i see you are in the UK ....

32 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Yep, I am. When a 10BL120 is £45, £110 is crazy!

Although that 10BL120   Looks as clumsy as an Elephant compared to the 240S ESC.....:D

Cheers Sandy

• Haha 1

Wow, haven't been online for some time and a lot of responses! Thanks everyone this was helpful. Some more parts arrived in the meantime, including a spare body. More than happy to post some pictures once the car is done. Still lacking the OTW125B, however, they are really hard to find at the moment.

Yes, too bad they discontinued the ESC, I am not really a fan of fan-cooled ESCs. And in the Mid, the Le Mans ESC makes a lot of sense, since the bottom plate has two holes for the perfect mounting of the ESC. But I agree, its not the price I would normally pay for an ESC. But special cars need special treatment ;)

I am really hoping that we see a LWB Mid re-release!

On 2/25/2023 at 1:05 PM, Twinfan said:

Just a quick "thank you" from me for posting this pic - it made me realise I hadn't ordered enough 92413 for my Legendary Series Ultima - I'd only got one, not realising I needed two packs for the four arms.  Doh!  So I ordered them late last night aolong with some diff oil that I'd also missed  :D

I would agree with @Mrowka they are the same parts only an optical upgrade. 

IMG_1734.jpg

• Like 2

Any idea whether there is an aftermarket alloy part for the steering assembly ?

@joeling Sorry for the late reply, I was abroad for a couple weeks and didn't check here on the forum.

This is an excellent question, but I haven't seen any aftermarket alloy part for the steering so far and since I stay "purely" with Kyosho for this build, I was only interested in their hopups. So maybe there are some third party manufacturers, like Xtra Speed and Yeah Racing (https://tamico.de/Kyosho-Optima-Javelin-Spare-parts-and-Hop-Up-parts).

As for Kyosho original hopup parts, they list OTW143 (HD ST Link Set) in the manual. Also, I was always in the opinion that the servo saver OTW114 is an original hopup part, but unfortunately the manual does not list this part, so I skipped it. To risky to spend the money on it to find out it won't fit. @Kai City RC Maybe the Japanese manual does list it?

What is interesting is that the official Kyosho Optima Mid video, uploaded from Kyosho Corporation on Youtube, does show an alloy servo saver. You can clearly see it at minute 09:07. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMnSbi7hSQ

Never found or seen this part anywhere!

Oddly enough, there is also the opposite case. I recently found a part (OTW 145), which I have never seen in the manual or any other documentation. Here is the link: https://tamico.de/Kyosho-Optima-Mid-CNC-Rear-Suspension-Holder

To be honest, it is really frustrating with the lack in documentation. I can only assume that they (Kyosho) are tight on budget and lack people to review and crosscheck their documentation. Too bad if you ask me. It is the same with the Kyosho Ultima. Go check their official video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHmrKIU5LAQ) and compare it with the option parts list in the manual. It is a nightmare.

Anyways, meanwhile the LeMans Motor (15.5T) as well as the CVDs have arrived. So hopefully I have some time in the near future to start the build.

IMG_0359.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder..not Kyosho since they are out of stock, but ordered 3rd party universals for my MID #4.

• Like 1

Bought a Mid kit last summer.. after seeing this thread I went and bought some hopups.

Total cost of hopups seem to be more than the cost of the car. :(

32 minutes ago, clobbo said:

Bought a Mid kit last summer.. after seeing this thread I went and bought some hopups.

Total cost of hopups seem to be more than the cost of the car. :(

Aye. A bit of that here too. I suspect I'd be just as happy with it stock TBH. undertray is a win though. 

Yes, dont ask. The hop up parts have cost me more than twice the price of the car.