Killajb

Has Tamiya finally gone to Hobbywing ESCs?

Hobbywing are great the only issue I have is that they are either brushed or brushless. For basic use the Tble2/4 could at least do both. Add a lipo alarm and your good to go!!

They're a pain on vintage kits as the switch doesn't match the holes in the chassis and I like being able to turn the car on and off without removing the body.  Otherwise they're great and you can run Super Stock motors on them!

I'm curious to see what turns up with my Hot Shot II Blockhead this week....

Step 1: buy all WP880 ESCs on AliExpress.

Step 2: add Tamiya sticker

Step 3: Profit!

:lol:

• Haha 2

They should have used the 1080 instead. It's probably one of the best brushed ESCs available in the market today.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Killajb said:

https://www.tamiya.com/japan/products/45073/index.html            It took awhile, but hopefully this is a good thing.

試作品 means prototype, but if it appears to be one of the HW ESC's chances are they did; I mean my M06 came with a 1060 which I was happy about.. well, I did have to solder longer motor leads though so Tamiya needs to do a bit more research.

• Like 2

Is there any recent dual motor kit ? Just know about the clod. Had a Carson Esc in the box of a TT01 I bought recently. Anything that is able to handle Lipo batteries is highly welcome. 

I got a Blitzer Beetle last week and it came with a 1060. Sticker on the side has THW-1060-RTR on it. Had the same issue as Willy with the cables being too short. They need to include longer ones on the motor. I used my own 1060 I had here because I already had an XT60 on it and I had to mount it on the rear gear housing so the cables would meet.

• Like 1

Any idea why 4h3 Carson 1060 has a different turn limit to the HW1060 even though it should have a higher amp limit (70A vs 60A)?

13 hours ago, Twinfan said:

They're a pain on vintage kits as the switch doesn't match the holes in the chassis and I like being able to turn the car on and off without removing the body.  Otherwise they're great and you can run Super Stock motors on them!

Could not agree more.  Great performance but drives me crazy that the switch is undersized.  The 1060 wires are also fairly short so mounting can be tough.

14 hours ago, Twinfan said:

I'm curious to see what turns up with my Hot Shot II Blockhead this week....

100%… especially when it comes with switch dust cover, useless for 1060esc

The HW1060 is my go to basic ESC whenever I need one, but I do agree that the motor wires can be short (MF01X, CW01, M06). The switch doesn't line up even on modern kits, but you can clip it to the side of the ESC which works out on some chassis.

6 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

The switch doesn't line up even on modern kits, but you can clip it to the side of the ESC which works out on some chassis.

Yep, that is quite a handy feature I must admit.  Worked great on my GF-01 :)

• Like 1

I've just got the blockhead hotshot yesterday and it's the first time I've got the esc in it which has no mention anywhere on the instructions or the esc itself or on the actual kit box who the manufacturer of the esc is other than a small sticker that says THW rtr all the others are packaged with Carson or hobbywing logos on them?

20230221_110019.jpg

That looks like the new Tamiya-specified Hobbywing, the THW-1060-RTR.  THW=Tamiya Hobbywing.

What's the specified turn limit?  >=8T or <45,000rpm at 7.2v?

2 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

That's not the same ESC.

Modelsport are saying 12T but I've seen 8T elsewhere with the paperwork the ESC comes with:  https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-hobbywing-1060-rtr-60a-brushed-esc-wp-1348298

That is odd as they are what I got with Tamiya kits recently.

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/carson-500906264-speed-controller-dragster-brushed-cars-boats-switchable-suits-nimh-lipo-made-hobbywing-waterproof-p-68923.html

"These are branded Tamiya-Carson as they are ESCs that are currently arriving in some Tamiya kits (due to Tamiya not being able to source their own ESC due to chip shortages). 

Odd fact: These ESCs are coded 500906264 on the ESC themselves but 500906268 on the bag they are supplied in."

I think checking the code is the way to confirm either way.

You're not reading the posts properly.  The newest kits are supplied with the new THW-1060-RTR ESC, NOT the Carson Dragster one we've had previously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

That looks like the new Tamiya-specified Hobbywing, the THW-1060-RTR.  THW=Tamiya Hobbywing.

What's the specified turn limit?  >=8T or <45,000rpm at 7.2v?

In my experience a HW-1060 will run anything as low as a 15T 540 or a 12T 550. My Lunchbox had a 12T Titan/HW1060 combo with no problems.

• Like 1

The stock HW1060 spec is "2S Lipo or 6 NiMH - 540 or 550 Size Motor: 12T or RPM 30000 - 7.2V".

Tamiya's specs for their ESC may be different, hence me quoting the ">=8T or <45,000rpm at 7.2v" which I've seen in a couple of places...

spacer.png

i have used a lot of different esc's across my cars, and I have to say the hobbywing is really my favorite. it is reasonably priced and gives good quality. i have yet to have one fail on me