F-150

How limited is limited Avante Black

Hey, haven't been here for a long minute, have been active in RC and Tamiya nonetheless. I am buying an Avante Black Special tomorrow from a collector that is downsizing, completely new and sealed for 500 USA . I think that is a good deal over ordering from Tower, because I save 64 off retail plus 44 dollars tax.

I have seen the Avante Black came out in 2012, then again in 2018? Again in 2022? And now again in 2023. I thought this is a "limited edition" bit seems the original blue 2011 version is now the limited edition. Why so many re-issues of the black? It's not really limited edition IMO, bit man I can't wait to get it ... It's going to be 100% built and possibly run just once very lightly, cleaned and on display. I'm still stoked that I will have an Avante....such an epic car.

Thanks, and it's nice to post here again 

• Like 2

You have to be very sceptical about tamiya and its limited editions what I've noticed is if its popular and disappears from the shop shelves as the avante black has done tamiya will keep on periodically releasing it that's why the sand scorcher has constantly being produced because people still buy it and the avante black has been popular but I think that's going to change downturn in countries economies and the fact its quite an expensive kit will probably put pay to re-re-re releasing of these expensive kit just take a look at the egress black edition still plenty of stocks everywhere and if not in the shops it can be easily obtained from the importers!

But putting that to one side it's a fantastic buggy and if anyone is lucky enough have the funds to afford one it is a brilliant bit of model engineering and tamiya at its absolute best! So I'd say just enjoy it no matter what price you paid for it:wub: if you got a bargain brilliant! If you didn't so what? Its like I've said before tamiya's don't get old they just become classics:D

20221227_124032.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So I got an Avante Black Special today like I said I was. I'm so stoked about it and can't believe it, lol. It's completely new, sealed and great. The collector I got it from is getting out of the hobby in favor of another passion. 

On top of this I obtained a blockhead, Wild One, sealed and new, it's awesome.

To top the cake I also got from the same collector ... A Losi, Baja Rey, but not an ordinary one. It's the Mint 400 version, in which Dirtco sold and made only 250 of them. I'm still doing research on it, but that is what they say...only 250 made and I have one. I'm beside myself today, lol....big big smiles. I'll write more later and here is a couple of pictures of probably the coolest additions to my collection.

IMG_2023-02-24-15-31-13-336.jpg

IMG_2023-02-24-15-26-20-614~2.jpg

• Like 8

Avante Black Edition is great, but not too rare yet.  Still available on the shelves at a few shops here in Canada.

Looks like a pretty awesome score you got!

3 hours ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Avante Black Edition is great, but not too rare yet.  Still available on the shelves at a few shops here in Canada.

Looks like a pretty awesome score you got!

I know it. 

It seems the blue version is the more rare one, but the black is called limited edition...and the wheels are pink.....on a black edition, hmmmm Tamiya is not afraid to test the waters 

I'm still overwhelmed that I have an Avante here. All those years ago looking at an Avante in tower magazine.....now I have one in front of me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, moffman said:

You have to be very sceptical about tamiya and its limited editions what I've noticed is if its popular and disappears from the shop shelves as the avante black has done tamiya will keep on periodically releasing it that's why the sand scorcher has constantly being produced because people still buy it and the avante black has been popular but I think that's going to change downturn in countries economies and the fact its quite an expensive kit will probably put pay to re-re-re releasing of these expensive kit just take a look at the egress black edition still plenty of stocks everywhere and if not in the shops it can be easily obtained from the importers!

But putting that to one side it's a fantastic buggy and if anyone is lucky enough have the funds to afford one it is a brilliant bit of model engineering and tamiya at its absolute best! So I'd say just enjoy it no matter what price you paid for it:wub: if you got a bargain brilliant! If you didn't so what? Its like I've said before tamiya's don't get old they just become classics:D

20221227_124032.jpg

Nice.....  I don't think I will complete the Avante collection, but I am sure happy to have one of these classic machines. 

• Like 1

I have a chance to get a Tamiya Porche 934 45th edition from the same collector I got my avante from. 

I'm kinda sceptical about these limited editions since I got my, assumed, 2022 losi mint 400 edition, Baja Rey(the white Dirtco version) that they say only 250 were ever made, lol. I have yet to check the number of mine, it's still sealed in box, but I can go on Dirtco right now and get this same truck. At 250 made, I would think they would of been long gone. 

Same deal with this porche.... Some say they made one batch and never ever again.... I don't believe it, and I am hesitant on spending 500 USA dollars for it. It has an awesome box and the car is gorgeous, but I'd be more I to it for the exclusiveness and rarity of it.

My clod buster grey edition, either they made 100,000 of them or no one wants them, cause I can still get this advertised kit(will sell out fast) a year later from anyplace. I did get one, but wondering ng if it was even worth it.

So what about that porche? Do you all truly think it will never be made again and only had one batch?.

1 hour ago, F-150 said:

I have a chance to get a Tamiya Porche 934 45th edition from the same collector I got my avante from. 

I'm kinda sceptical about these limited editions since I got my, assumed, 2022 losi mint 400 edition, Baja Rey(the white Dirtco version) that they say only 250 were ever made, lol. I have yet to check the number of mine, it's still sealed in box, but I can go on Dirtco right now and get this same truck. At 250 made, I would think they would of been long gone. 

Same deal with this porche.... Some say they made one batch and never ever again.... I don't believe it, and I am hesitant on spending 500 USA dollars for it. It has an awesome box and the car is gorgeous, but I'd be more I to it for the exclusiveness and rarity of it.

My clod buster grey edition, either they made 100,000 of them or no one wants them, cause I can still get this advertised kit(will sell out fast) a year later from anyplace. I did get one, but wondering ng if it was even worth it.

So what about that porche? Do you all truly think it will never be made again and only had one batch?.

The easy answer is to not buy it if you don't want to own it, or are not sure if it's as "exclusive" as you want it to be.

The Mint 400 Baja Rey to me was great idea (I love limited runs), but also very demonstrative of the fact that just because something is limited, doesn't mean people want to buy or collect it. 

The sad reality of most collectables, is that you don't know what the demand will be until LONG after they are unavailable.  So if you want to speculate and hope to profit later (or if you only take enjoyment out of owning things that others want), then roll the dice and open your wallet and wait and see.

If you don't believe the 934 45Ed was limited, and you otherwise don't want it... then don't buy it.  They did sell relatively well, and weren't in stock for too long... but they also aren't really anything technically special.  I had the opportunity to buy one (a few times actually), but since I'm not a huge Porsche guy (nor a huge TA02 guy), the premium price wasn't worth it for me.

When I started collecting Tamiya 20+ years ago, I ended up investing large amounts of money and time on cars that I really had no personal interest in.  Sure, having a F150 Ranger, MK1 Rough Rider, DynaStorm, etc was kinda cool (I guess?)... but if I was honest, they did nothing for me as individual cars.  The only reason I owned them was because they were part of a "series", and when I realized that I was collecting stuff I didn't really like.... well, I sold it all cheap and moved on.  I've gone thru cycles like this a few times, and have now landed on collecting what I like, regardless of value or future prospects.  Some may be worth big $$$, and some may be worth nothing... but my collection makes me happy, and that's what this is about to me.

When the "Grey Edition" ClodBuster was released, I bought one as fast as I could.  Not because it's exclusive (it isn't), but because I love the ClodBuster, like the colorway, and missed out on the Black Edition (which I would still love to get).  Tamiya never said (to the best of my knowledge) that the Grey Edition was a super limited version... only that it was a regional color variant only available in North America.

Will Tamiya do another "run" of the 45th Anniversary Porsche?  Almost certainly not as the 45th Anniversary has come and gone.  Will Tamiya release another variant of a Porsche 934 on a TA02 or other chassis that looks the same?  Almost certainly yes... it is really the core of what Tamiya does!

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 4

I thought about this a lot, and it makes me feel tickled to have a few cars that are special editions in my collection of stuff. Not because of future profit or value, I'm not about that I like the special editions for the mere coolness of it and yes,not everyone can get one. I never really was focused on collecting special editions. It started with my grey edition clod buster and how it is exclusive to north America, plus I didn't want to miss out on it. Not ever having a clod buster I jumped on it and it kinda sparked my current special edition journey. 

I ended up with my current Avante black special "limited edition" after I bought a normal super clod buster locally from an ad on Facebook. He was selling it NIB with plastic wrap still on for 100 dollars cheaper that on tower, so I grabbed it(I plan to build this one) So he tells me he has an Avante Black for sale, block head motors wild one, the Baja Rey, and also the porche 934 45th. I find out he is a collector that is moving on, so all these kits are in perfect order and sealed. I bought all of these except the 934, because I said why not and he was selling them for a lot less than on Tower, because of no tax to pay and shipping. 

Would I have tried to buy these special editions if he didn't have them at all? Probably not. It was pretty much candy being waved in front of a kids face and neck couldn't resist it. However when I see them on my shelf I get a tickled feeling that I have something cooler than an average Tamiya kit. So I guess it was worth it, but I would of never tried to find any of these if he hadn't had them for sale.

I guess the 934 he has appeals to me because I know it's a one time run, people want these, it has a cool box and I know where I can get it right now and it would be foolish to throw it away....I'll never get a chance like this again. I guess that drives my emotion to buy this thing.

On the other hand, I never cared to own one if he had not had it for sale, I'm not a huge porche fan, not really into the touring car chassis stuff. 

I guess my answer is....I want to buy it, because it's there, selling for cheaper than any on ebay, it's a one time run, cool box, and honestly, yes...because it would be neat to have something so limited that not everyone can get it.... It's that real opportunity to own this right now that drives me to buy it, not really the car itself....  I guess it's just the pizzazz and meaning behind it.  Also I'm not for profit or to make money on it. I feel tamiyas are good investments and generally do not lose value, so I'm not worried about how much I spend on them. I know they will be worth more than what I pay, later, but I'm not set on making profit or to charge a fellow hobbyist stupid money, just because I have one and he doesn't. 

I hope I make sense here .... I probably wrote the same thing three times in different ways, but I try to express how these limited edition kits are driving me to buy them right now.

• Like 2

I am also curious about how “limited” limited edition ones are. FOMO (fear of missing out) is real, but as I realize i often try to buy things to impress others and starts buying things that i like and enjoy. I actually bought golf mk2 m05 because it is kind of limited (tamiya 4xxxx model number), but not super fan of how body is constructed(separate front plate). Most of tamiya cars that I enjoy a lot are something that I bought just because I wanted it for myself, not the ones other say I should get or great. 

Ps. I really like grasshopper series too much, i plan to get at least 2 green grasshoppers lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sogogi said:

I am also curious about how “limited” limited edition ones are. FOMO (fear of missing out) is real, but as I realize i often try to buy things to impress others and starts buying things that i like and enjoy. I actually bought golf mk2 m05 because it is kind of limited (tamiya 4xxxx model number), but not super fan of how body is constructed(separate front plate). Most of tamiya cars that I enjoy a lot are something that I bought just because I wanted it for myself, not the ones other say I should get or great. 

Ps. I really like grasshopper series too much, i plan to get at least 2 green grasshoppers lol

I think everyone at one time has been through the FOMO period with tamiya I think I did with the blockhead hotshot I was never a fan of it simply because of the goofy cadge and I found myself pre-ordering it just incase I missed it then thinking WHY should I be bothered tamiya will mass produce it so I bought it with the intention of building it the way I personally think it should look and definitely not box art! Although when I did pick it up I was bowled over with how good the actual box art is:wub: so I'm kinda looking forward to building it whenever that maybe?? So busy at the moment don't have time for any building at the moment:rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 9:58 PM, Sogogi said:

I have a white grasshopper and a hornet, want the green one too, lol. It's cheaper than the white one, which is odd. Possibly it doesn't have an esc with it. I'm going to pass on it tho... 

I'm going to go ahead and get that porche 934, not to show off, but just to have a few unique models in my collection, plus the price is very reasonable...500 straight up USA dollars, not 600 or 1,000 like they are on ebay.

Other than a BBX, this is it ... I have to draw the line and grow up a little bit lol. 

Currently I'm building a nice work bench and planning a nice display area for my cars. I'm 48 years old, but I love these cars so much....so many nice memories, the build is fun and getting that smile when I'm looking at them. That's what it's about.

Couple pics of my new work bench.

IMG_2023-03-05-16-23-00-912.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, F-150 said:

I have a white grasshopper and a hornet, want the green one too, lol. It's cheaper than the white one, which is odd. Possibly it doesn't have an esc with it. I'm going to pass on it tho... 

I have a green GH on order, shipping is scheduled for May. Only difference I could see was it's green instead of white, comes with motor and ESC.

On 3/9/2023 at 6:46 PM, David B said:

I have a green GH on order, shipping is scheduled for May. Only difference I could see was it's green instead of white, comes with motor and ESC.

It's cheaper than the white version and minus the green, it's the same exact car. Even the box is the same, no green GH on the box. I wish they would of at least included some unique wheels or the hornet shocks....anything. it's not exactly limited either. 

With that said I'm probably going to get one to be a fun runner.🤣

10 hours ago, F-150 said:

It's cheaper than the white version and minus the green, it's the same exact car. Even the box is the same, no green GH on the box. I wish they would of at least included some unique wheels or the hornet shocks....anything. it's not exactly limited either. 

With that said I'm probably going to get one to be a fun runner.🤣

I'm a tad confused. YT vids show the box has a "Candy green edition" sticker on it and the shell is in fact pre-painted green?

On 3/9/2023 at 5:37 PM, F-150 said:

I'm going to go ahead and get that porche 934, not to show off, but just to have a few unique models in my collection, plus the price is very reasonable...500 straight up USA dollars, not 600 or 1,000 like they are on ebay.

Nice choice.  I too certainly don't buy RC cars just to show them off.  I enjoy my cars and adore them.  I like to show photos of my cars to share ideas as others have shared them with me and hope that we can keep the interest going.   

That said, I am interested in seeing your RC workshop and display space once completed.   B)

6 hours ago, David B said:

I'm a tad confused. YT vids show the box has a "Candy green edition" sticker on it and the shell is in fact pre-painted green?

It has the sticker, but having an all green box or having the GH green in the picture would be neat. The body is pre painted, yes. It's just that I could buy another GH body, paint it green and I'd have a candy green GH. There is nothing else different about it and it's released as much as the white version. They should just sell it as the grasshopper and you can get it green or white, no special edition or limited...cause that seems to be a lie.

All Tamiya does is change colors and call it a special edition....aka, clod buster. But hey, Tamiya knows how to do it, they are a marketing master, and I still want a green grasshopper baaaddddd🤣

51 minutes ago, F-150 said:

It has the sticker, but having an all green box or having the GH green in the picture would be neat. The body is pre painted, yes. It's just that I could buy another GH body, paint it green and I'd have a candy green GH. There is nothing else different about it and it's released as much as the white version. They should just sell it as the grasshopper and you can get it green or white, no special edition or limited...cause that seems to be a lie.

All Tamiya does is change colors and call it a special edition....aka, clod buster. But hey, Tamiya knows how to do it, they are a marketing master, and I still want a green grasshopper baaaddddd🤣

Which leads us back to the question, why is the green so much cheaper than the white. I'd have rather had the white one but couldn't justify the extra $35, I could buy a can of white spray paint and still come out ahead! Heck, I could buy a new white shell off of eBay and still be ahead.

Edited by David B
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, David B said:

Which leads us back to the question, why is the green so much cheaper than the white. I'd have rather had the white one but couldn't justify the extra $35, I could buy a can of white spray paint and still come out ahead! Heck, I could buy a new white shell off of eBay and still be ahead.

They probably realized they charged way too much for the white grasshopper and they are selling the green one for the price it should of been. 

I have no idea, man.

I just really feel like putting in a reedy 17 turn in that green grasshopper and having a blast.

I don't care what they say, the grasshopper/hornet cars are way too much fun. Just drive them hard and not think about shock rates and crap I still can't believe I'm actually thinking of getting a green grasshopper. Someone slap me, but it's so cheap!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Nice choice.  I too certainly don't buy RC cars just to show them off.  I enjoy my cars and adore them.  I like to show photos of my cars to share ideas as others have shared them with me and hope that we can keep the interest going.   

That said, I am interested in seeing your RC workshop and display space once completed.   B)

So far I built a work bench(converted garage bench) and have all my stuff neatly organized on shelves.. I have a long way to go and the room is small, plus I have to fit a 4x8 work bench in there for my RC aviation models. I'm building a 1/5th scale cub as well. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, F-150 said:

They probably realized they charged way too much for the white grasshopper and they are selling the green one for the price it should of been. 

I have no idea, man.

I just really feel like putting in a reedy 17 turn in that green grasshopper and having a blast.

I don't care what they say, the grasshopper/hornet cars are way too much fun. Just drive them hard and not think about shock rates and crap I still can't believe I'm actually thinking of getting a green grasshopper. Someone slap me, but it's so cheap!

I'll slap you if you DON'T get one!

3 hours ago, David B said:

I'll slap you if you DON'T get one!

I'm going to slap myself, cause I already have a grasshopper and Tamiya has to throw a green one in my face that I want real bad. I feel like a kid that wants a toy and mom won't buy it......oh wait.... I am an "adult" that's right....I can buy it if I want🤣..... No guilt here, **** you Tamiya🤣

IMG_2023-03-12-22-18-37-758.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'll see what ampro has for some grasshopper stuff. I remember a while back he did some better geo for the suspension.... I'm not sure if I want to put a ton I to a hopper yet other than a sport tuned and some of those cheap Chinese shocks.... Anything better than the frictions. The rear end totally sucks on these too, but that is why they are so fun...cause they handle like crap and too fast, lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, F-150 said:

I think I'll see what ampro has for some grasshopper stuff. I remember a while back he did some better geo for the suspension.... I'm not sure if I want to put a ton I to a hopper yet other than a sport tuned and some of those cheap Chinese shocks.... Anything better than the frictions. The rear end totally sucks on these too, but that is why they are so fun...cause they handle like crap and too fast, lol.

I got a couple Grasshopper II parts trees off of the bay for $7 Supposedly it's easy to adapt the GH II front arms to the OG to have some better shock options, we shall see.