F-150

How limited is limited Avante Black

Honestly I'm going to forget about getting another grasshopper I already have one. Other than getting that porche, I'm done for a long while I even decided not getting a BBX. I have about 17 cars, 14 in the boxes I have to quit.  I'm satisfied with my collection and getting more is just greed. 

I think I'm going to invest in some real nice RC specific tools I already got a DeWalt cordless clutched screwdriver. I'm looking at investing in MIP or something close the quality, MIP are expensive but worth it if this is your hobby and plan to keep doing it.

So yes man, No more cars for me for a long time.... Not until I get what I have built, displayed and/or run... And only after I sell a couple will I look at nto getting others.

So that's the plan!

• Like 1

Nice plan.  I too am into tools and love collecting and using them.  I also recommend a ratchet driver handle.. (I use Wera).

Especially if you plan to expand to Kyosho and other higher end cars, they use hex machine screws (as you probably already know) where you need to wind up pretty long threads, but you may not want to use high speed electric drivers as it will heat up the screw too much while it threads.. It can not only damage the screw hole, it can damage the screw and even snap the hex bit itself.  I've had a MIP driver hex bit snap from repeated higher speed driving of screws.  MIP told me I abused the bit so it was my fault.. did not warrant my broken bit.  Let me just say that I am a 1:1 car guy and have a lot of tools from several high end brands and none have snapped like theirs did.  :lol:

Anyway, since then I stopped using electric drivers and only use hand tools especially while using their bits.  Their bits are precise which I like, and for the most part work great.   And this electric driver I'm talking about is a super compact Panasonic brushed motor mini driver too.. not my 450lb-ft & high speed brushless 18V drivers I use in my garage. 

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Nice plan.  I too am into tools and love collecting and using them.  I also recommend a ratchet driver handle.. (I use Wera).

Especially if you plan to expand to Kyosho and other higher end cars, they use hex machine screws (as you probably already know) where you need to wind up pretty long threads, but you may not want to use high speed electric drivers as it will heat up the screw too much while it threads.. It can not only damage the screw hole, it can damage the screw and even snap the hex bit itself.  I've had a MIP driver hex bit snap from repeated higher speed driving of screws.  MIP told me I abused the bit so it was my fault.. did not warrant my broken bit.  Let me just say that I am a 1:1 car guy and have a lot of tools from several high end brands and none have snapped like theirs did.  :lol:

Anyway, since then I stopped using electric drivers and only use hand tools especially while using their bits.  Their bits are precise which I like, and for the most part work great.   And this electric driver I'm talking about is a super compact Panasonic brushed motor mini driver too.. not my 450lb-ft & high speed brushless 18V drivers I use in my garage. 

I probably won't use electric driver's much. I don't know why anyone would on an rc car anyways. Why not relax and hand tighten the screws. I usually hit bottom turn just a tiny tiny bit more. I don't tighten them down like badword. I don't see me doing this with an electric driver.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:06 PM, F-150 said:

I think I'm going to invest in some real nice RC specific tools I already got a DeWalt cordless clutched screwdriver. I'm looking at investing in MIP or something close the quality, MIP are expensive but worth it if this is your hobby and plan to keep doing it.

So yes man, No more cars for me for a long time.... Not until I get what I have built, displayed and/or run... And only after I sell a couple will I look at nto getting others.

So that's the plan!

Tools are always a good investment (if you use them), and are typically a good place for the old adage "Buy once, Cry once".  Cheap tools can lead to expensive mistakes (rounded out screw heads, for example), so a few extra $$$ up front can easily pay itself off over a few build.

Good luck with the "no more cars for a long time" thing (that sounds really sarcastic, and it's not meant to... just FYI)!  I keep telling myself the same thing, but it never seems to stick...LOL.

19 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Wera stuff is nice.  I have some of their bike tools, and I use some of their bit sets and smaller rachets on my 1/5 RC stuff.

My guess with the broken MIP bit would be that they are hardening the steel a bit much, and that the stress from an electric driver just fatigued it.  Kinda crappy that they wouldn't cover it...

17 hours ago, F-150 said:

I probably won't use electric driver's much. I don't know why anyone would on an rc car anyways. Why not relax and hand tighten the screws. I usually hit bottom turn just a tiny tiny bit more. I don't tighten them down like badword. I don't see me doing this with an electric driver.

I think the shift to electric drivers goes along with the "instant gratification" generation, and the fact that many "big name" youtubers use power tools on everything.  I think they have some use for disassembly, but unless you're working on a large-scale car (maybe?), you're just asking for stripped parts and damage to use them in assembly, IMO.  

On 3/16/2023 at 1:08 PM, bRIBEGuy said:

I think the shift to electric drivers goes along with the "instant gratification" generation, and the fact that many "big name" youtubers use power tools on everything.  I think they have some use for disassembly, but unless you're working on a large-scale car (maybe?), you're just asking for stripped parts and damage to use them in assembly, IMO. 

I know what you mean.  It's like they think they are cool and high tech whipping screws in and out with a power driver.  I can see the use of one if you need to switch wheels in the middle of a race and do some emergency work during the race when time is a factor.  I don't want to chance cross threading and melting plastic. Same goes with tapping out for machine screws in a Tamiya. IMO the Tamiya hardware is good enough and I never had them back out.  Just seems machine screws aren't meant to grip into soft plastic on an RC car.  I guess it comes down to having hex heads and youre not cool if you don't have hex heads.

I usually just bottom out with the self tapper and give it just a tiny tiny bit more. Don't need to crank the screws down on these. Ive never had any trouble. I always add a baby dot of thread lock(blue) to any metal to metal fasteners. Thats it. I was going to be all high tech and tap for machine screws on my next project(Fighting Racer(DT-03) but I decided ill just stick with the good ole Tamiya tappers.

With that said, I have an order coming full of tools.  I got the sets of MIP tools, hex drivers, nut drivers and turnbuckle wrenches. I also got the protech shock plyers, maxline car/shock stand and protech pit mat. When I got my shumacher procat and cougar, and now my Custom works sprint car, I realized I didnt have the tools for those cars, so I decided to up my tool game. The MIP is expensive but not as bad as I thought it would be. I plan to play with rc all my life, so...it is a good investment IMO

@F-150 Yeah, I too usually buy the best tools that makes sense for my application and use it till the day I die.  

Been cleaning up my attachment files and found this old picture of my RC tool box..easily over a grand in tools.  Other tools that do not fit in this box is in my drawer.. like crimping tools, damper related tools, other types of scissors, and the mighty Knipex wrench, etc, etc..

These cantilever boxes are great for its portability and robustness.  

IMG_Nov192021at101539AM.jpg.f1b45830ffeb5ddd64eb734a04114294.jpgIMG_Nov192021at101554AM.jpg.e5c75ff5658b8f81b969f1940b75c811.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

@F-150 Yeah, I too usually buy the best tools that makes sense for my application and use it till the day I die.  

Been cleaning up my attachment files and found this old picture of my RC tool box..easily over a grand in tools.  Other tools that do not fit in this box is in my drawer.. like crimping tools, damper related tools, other types of scissors, and the mighty Knipex wrench, etc, etc..

These cantilever boxes are great for its portability and robustness.  

IMG_Nov192021at101539AM.jpg.f1b45830ffeb5ddd64eb734a04114294.jpgIMG_Nov192021at101554AM.jpg.e5c75ff5658b8f81b969f1940b75c811.jpg

I could probably start a separate thread with this? Do you ever stop and think the value of all your tools you’ve required over your lifetime? All the one off precision tools and different types and sizes of screwdrivers and cutting equipment different dremmel attachments etc etc probably more valuable than the RC vehicles your using them on:o

2 hours ago, moffman said:

I could probably start a separate thread with this? Do you ever stop and think the value of all your tools you’ve required over your lifetime? All the one off precision tools and different types and sizes of screwdrivers and cutting equipment different dremmel attachments etc etc probably more valuable than the RC vehicles your using them on:o

My tools are basic stuff, I just try to get the quality ones so I do not need to keep re-buying them.  

My pretend RC shop is considered one unit so the cost ratio is not bad at all.. I think .. (?)

My garage tools for my 1:1 car hobby is the same.. good tools, but the usual stuff.. it’s well equipped for a weekend maintenance/bolt on stuff, but no super exclusive jigs or equipment you might have in your arsenal..! B)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

My tools are basic stuff, I just try to get the quality ones so I do not need to keep re-buying them.  

My pretend RC shop is considered one unit so the cost ratio is not bad at all.. I think .. (?)

My garage tools for my 1:1 car hobby is the same.. good tools, but the usual stuff.. it’s well equipped for a weekend maintenance/bolt on stuff, but no super exclusive jigs or equipment you might have in your arsenal..! B)

I’ve got nothing super hi-tech but over the decades I’ve just required some funky stuff for like you say my 1:1 car (not that you can do much with modern cars these days) I got a brilliant result a few years ago i bought a Schumacher cat k1 second hand off eBay and by sheer luck it was about 5 miles away so I picked it up and the guy was giving up RC racing and he said “you might as well have my tools” and give me absolutely loads of brilliant tools which I now can’t live without!

• Like 1

So my first taste of real RC tools have come in!

I have never had any tools or accessories made just for RC, just got along with using foam blocks and a set of Tamiya driver's on a kitchen table.

I have built a small, 24"x48 inch work bench and while I wish it was just a bit bigger, it works real good. It seems to have enough room to really get a project going. Not as big as most, but it will do just fine for what I'm doing. Also it fits my new protech pit mat perfectly, makes me look professional, lol.

My first of MIP tools are here and they look to be really nice quality, pretty impressed. Also got some shock pliers and a real cool, aluminum, rotating stand. I have my BFX sitting on it.

Couple pictures so far, but I'm still working to set up my work space....just had to lay all this out and get smiling though. "Big kid"

IMG_2023-03-20-13-03-23-914.jpg

• Like 3