Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

FF01 3D Print Gearcase - Gauging Interest

I have been playing around with FF01 gearcase replacement for a fair while, but never quite got it finished, and prices always seemed high. There still seems to be a lot of love for this chassis on here (myself very much included), so I got to finishing the design I have been working on:

826125173_FF01UpgradeGearcaseAssemblyV5.thumb.JPG.6c1d0a50d0397d0340f879640fb38821.JPG

It's not a complete replica. It fits all the same drive gears and motor position, but the motor attachment is more conventional and has space for pinions up to 33t, which means it can be geared a little more aggressively for stock motor racing (a limitation of the original gearcase). It's also got more clearance around the steering so you could run a bearing steering set on a tub chassis.

Below is a side view with the pinion cover made transparent.

2099191883_FF01UpgradeGearcaseAssemblyV5SideView.thumb.JPG.77da4e3fcfda70de1fe2d1cd66aada3f.JPG

I have found a place in the UK that can MJF print it for about £40 for the main case and pinion cover (pink part). The purple item is my repro spur cover, but that's same geometry as the original and wouldn't be included for that price. Postage would be on top.

I need to do a test print to check how it fits with everything and run it a bit, but before I do, I wanted to gauge interest. If I could do a new FF01 gearcase for £40 could you post below and let me know? If we can get a few of us clubbed together I can get it over the minium order value of the printing place for a small production run. 

• Like 5

Got the first test print through today. It's not quite right, but it's really close. Very pleased the taper on the closure plates fitted perfectly.

20230317_174632

You can see my mistake though. I didn't carry the kick up angle far enough back and assumed the face of the gearcase under the diff was flat. It's super obvious with my Eagle Racing bits on it that the angle needs to start from behind the diff closure plate. On the plus side, once I realised the shape and angle of the Eagle Racing part I was able to accurately measure the kick up. It's 3 degrees. I had it at 4 deg before. You can see the angle of the top vs the bottom here:

20230317_174648

So, not quite right, but very promising. Need to test fit the gears and a motor and see how the internals go, but hopefully should have this buttoned up and ready for sale soon.

• Like 4

Looking great so far :)  If you can get this approved for use in the Iconic Cup, you can probably get a few more orders from people struggling to run their cup cars.

• Like 1