Wayne Campbell

I am looking for owners of the Super Avante

That car looks awesome as well as fast, and I’d love to hear some first hand experience before potentially buying. What motors and batteries are speed-addicted owners running with it? And what is your experience with the battery compartment sitting underneath the front shocks? How fiddly is it to change batteries, how long does it take, and doesn’t this approach affect the stability of the suspension over time?

You'll find plenty of speculation, information and towards the end, some experience of the TD4 Super Avante in this thread.

• Like 1

I own one... but it hasn't been built yet embarrassingly enough.  I have a Tamiya 10.5t brushless motor I'll be running though...

• Like 1

I've put a lot of time into my TD4 - unless your racing at a club with very little time between rounds the battery mounting is not a problem, and I haven't found that you end up with excessive wear on the mounting or anything.

You can also mount the battery like you would in the TD2 across the chassis, but you have to change the body to the TD2 shell if you want to run a full size lipo that way - you can stick with the super Avante shell if you run a shorty lipo.

I've run the car with a 5.5T brushless motor and a SkyRC TS160 ESC - car handled it fine, but I think that CVD driveshafts, the metal bevel gears for the prop, and the slipper clutch hopup are kind of essential for this. I also use TA06 gear diffs - but the ball diff should be able to take it with the metal diff nut, but you'd probably also want harder diff balls if you wanted the diff to have a long life with a lot of power going through it.

For prolonged running with a hot motor and gearing it's worth fitting a fan for the motor IMO - it doesn't get a lot of airflow and without a fan my motor was excessively hot after a 5 minute final on carpet at the local club.

Last but not least - swap the kit rear wing for a proper racing wing. The stock wing is too floppy. You get better wing mounts (from DB01) if you get the carbon rear shock tower hopup as well

• Like 5

15 hours ago, BuggyGuy said:

I've put a lot of time into my TD4 - unless your racing at a club with very little time between rounds the battery mounting is not a problem, and I haven't found that you end up with excessive wear on the mounting or anything.

You can also mount the battery like you would in the TD2 across the chassis, but you have to change the body to the TD2 shell if you want to run a full size lipo that way - you can stick with the super Avante shell if you run a shorty lipo.

I've run the car with a 5.5T brushless motor and a SkyRC TS160 ESC - car handled it fine, but I think that CVD driveshafts, the metal bevel gears for the prop, and the slipper clutch hopup are kind of essential for this. I also use TA06 gear diffs - but the ball diff should be able to take it with the metal diff nut, but you'd probably also want harder diff balls if you wanted the diff to have a long life with a lot of power going through it.

For prolonged running with a hot motor and gearing it's worth fitting a fan for the motor IMO - it doesn't get a lot of airflow and without a fan my motor was excessively hot after a 5 minute final on carpet at the local club.

Last but not least - swap the kit rear wing for a proper racing wing. The stock wing is too floppy. You get better wing mounts (from DB01) if you get the carbon rear shock tower hopup as well

that sounds like a lot of extra steps necessary. thank you! appreciate your inputs.

2 hours ago, Wayne Campbell said:

that sounds like a lot of extra steps necessary. thank you! appreciate your inputs.

You probably only need that lot of you want to use a 4.5T to 6.5T motor in a race setting.

If your just going to use a 10T for example then you'd probably be ok with just doing the diff nut upgrade.

• Like 1