RC_Maniac

Tamiya Fighting Buggy/Super Champ help

Hello all, 

I’m after some advice with regards to the rear shock. 
followed the instructions however I still have loads of air in the shock line? Is there a knack to removing all this? 
also the front shocks seem a bit clunky everything assembled correctly and they function as intended they just feel like they are catching. 
Any advice at all? 

Hi,

First you'll need two oil bottles with at least some oil in them.

Fill the shock and cap as best you can in the fully compressed position. Then connect the tube to the bottle and squeeze the bottle until oil comes out the far end of the tube. Keeping the pressure on the bottle, fit the tube to the shock cap.

Then squeeze the bottle more until the oil forces the shock into the fully extended position. Then remove the bottle from the tube. The only air remaining in the shock and tube will be the small amount from initially filling the shock cap.

Fill the bottle you are going to fit to the car to about 3/4 full. The air gap combined with the flexible bottle will act a bit like a primitive diaphragm.

Then hold the shock with the connected tube that is now full of oil in the vertical position and compress the shock until you see no more bubbles in the tube. Invert the oil bottle and squeeze verry gently until a bead of oil forms, then fit to the tube.

Extend the shock again, drawing oil from the bottle. Then remove the bottle from the tube again to release the vacuum in the bottle. Compress the shock just enough to form a bead of oil at the top of the tube. Invert the bottle and squeeze just enough to form a bead of oil,

then finally fit the bottle to the tube.

It should now be completely free of bubbles. And any bubbles that form from by inverting the assembly, either on or off the car, will be cleared by compressing the shock a few times when everything is as it would be on an upright car.

Phew!!!

The front shocks need to be a mixture of air and oil or they will not function properly. If there is too much oil in them there is nowhere for the piston shaft to go, so they will lock up. If you fill them with the shock fully compressed, it will create a vacuum and not want to extend fully.

This is okay. Just unscrew the cap enough to release the vacuum by drawing in some air as you extend them. Then tighten the cap.

I replaced the kit o-rings in mine with TRF items. It made all the above easier, and stopped the 'grabbing' the kit items felt like they were doing when the shocks hadn't been compressed for a while.

• Like 1