Jorgen

Confused over motor choices for the Blitzer Beetle?

I recently wantd to upgrade my Blitzer Beetle by getting a Sport Tuned motor

Then realized that the manual says that "do not use motor other than supplied in kit"

No info about pinions, what holes to fasten the motor etc

The original pinion is 13T  that comes with the kit

I have a 18T that I got when I put a Sport Tunes in my Holiday Buggy

Are any of these usable

Never got my head around the whole pinion thing:rolleyes:

But bigger pinion better speed?

Any help apreciated

I've ignored the manual, as I think most people would do, and I've fitted an Absima 18T motor with a steel 13 tooth pinion using the holes highlighted in the manual.  The other holes are for a 15 tooth pinion, which gives a higher gearing ratio and is the wrong way for a Sport Tuned as it will likely run too hot.

I'd use the original 13 tooth pinion, or a steel equivalent, as per the manual instructions with a Sport Tuned.

• Like 1

Tamiya pinions can be a hassle since they like to use weird sizes and very limited choices, you're going to want to stick with the 13T if you're doing any real off-road. Smaller pinion means more torque, cooler motor, longer run time, bigger pinion means higher top speed but slower acceleration, less run time, and more heat.

If I'm not mistaken any 540-sized motor electric under the sun should work in a Blitzer Beetle, unless if short shafts can't reach far enough.

• Like 1

Interesting considering the original Tamiya Stadium Thunder, which has is basically the same model with a different body, came with the Sport Tuned motor as stock in the the kit.

• Like 1

Both mine run on Goolrc 4500kv motors and either 7.2v NiMH’s or 2s lipos. Tough as old boots, at least the gearbox is!!

they need better tyres though. The stock ones seriously lack grip.

I've never actually noticed that on the instructions? If there's any gearbox that can take a good hot motor it's the blitzer beetle chassis range of buggies my first blitzer beetle has all different motors in it including brushless and lipo and everything on it eventually give up over a long period of time but the gearbox was as tough as anything and I never did a thing to it other than bearings!

That’s really weird, I just looked at the original Blitzer Beetle manual and nowhere does it say to only use the supplied motor. It also shows you how to mount the motor when using the 15T pinion gear (even states the part number for the pinion). The 2010 Stadium Blitzer manual however does say to not use any other motor. The manual of my original Stadium Thunder which came with a Sport Tuned doesn’t state any restrictions on the motor either

The only thing I can guess, and this is purely conjecture on my part, is the increased weight of the Beetle hardbody and the re-release versions now using an ESC led Tamiya to err on the side of caution to advise only a stock motor with the lowest ratio possible. 

It's certainly an odd thing to put in the manual.  The Torque Tuned motor, for example, is a direct drop in for a silver can using the same gearing on all models albeit bearings need to be added:

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54358/index.htm

The box packaging states "May be used in place of kit-standard motor for enhanced acceleration" and "Use in conjunction with kit-standard pinion gears".  The re-re came out just before Torque Tuned motor was introduced but there were other motors around that could have been used e.g. Dirt Tuned or Lightly Tuned.

Gearbox is bulletproof, it's the pinion that is made of cheese that does the damage.

Steel pinion. DONE.

Rolling wheelies at half throttle.

• Like 1

I have a 15T Holmes Retro sport motor in my Blitzer. It ran fine all day on track last week.

Blitzer

• Like 6

On 3/4/2023 at 4:15 AM, Jorgen said:

I recently wantd to upgrade my Blitzer Beetle by getting a Sport Tuned motor

Then realized that the manual says that "do not use motor other than supplied in kit"

No info about pinions, what holes to fasten the motor etc

The original pinion is 13T  that comes with the kit

I have a 18T that I got when I put a Sport Tunes in my Holiday Buggy

Are any of these usable

Never got my head around the whole pinion thing:rolleyes:

But bigger pinion better speed?

Any help apreciated

If your kit came with the hobbywing 1060 ESC you can get one of these motors for cheap! and they are FAST!  Look at the reedy radon motors on this page and their KV ratings for brushless.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/reedy/parts/motors/brushed/

Are they not the same as all the other black can, gold end 15T/17T/19T motors?  E.g.

https://landlmodels.co.uk/collections/motors/products/smd-power-tuned-brushed-modified-motor-17-turn-jbr54017

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/absima-electric-motor-thrust-b-spec-19t-380789

There seem to be a lot of similar looking re-badged motors, so apologies if the Reedys are unique.

27 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Are they not the same as all the other black can, gold end 15T/17T/19T motors?  E.g.

https://landlmodels.co.uk/collections/motors/products/smd-power-tuned-brushed-modified-motor-17-turn-jbr54017

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/absima-electric-motor-thrust-b-spec-19t-380789

There seem to be a lot of similar looking re-badged motors, so apologies if the Reedys are unique.

I have no clue. You can definitely research it though.

I've run mine with a brushless system for years and it has been fine. I also chucked Tamiya Aeration shocks on it.
It goes well.