RallyX

XV-02: Unpopular or just too new?

I just finished my XV-02 build last week, and ran my first race with it on Thursday. I hadn't really looked online for replacement or hop-up parts until after I built it, but I noticed that there's really not much available for the chassis compared to my TT-02 and that makes me a little bit scared to race it in case I break something. Tamiya doesn't even offer an aluminum steering upgrade, which seems weird since the steering parts seem like the weakest link. Why is that? Is it just because it's a relatively new chassis? Or have sales been lower than expected? Should I be worried? Makes me wonder if I should have gone with the XV-01 instead.

The XV-01 still has a strong following, and the TT-02 has a truly massive following compared to either of the XV models, as well as far more room for improvement via hop-ups than either of them, so both Tamiya and aftermarket manufacturers will have a greater variety available for the TT-02 compared to the XV-02.

I wouldn't worry though - as with other higher spec models, you are unlikely to need as many hop-ups as you would for a TT-02, and where weaknesses become apparent as more people build and use the XV-02, I am confident that hop-ups will become available to address them, be it from Tamiya or others such as Yeah Racing for example.

• Like 5

Probably just too new.. and also same for me, locals are not big on Tamiya's to start (USA).  One thing about steering.. if you strengthen just one part the next weakest link will break. It's almost best to keep it on the soft side as an entire system.  I don't plan to drive mine hard so I think I can get away with not getting another NIB for spares.  

I've not built my XV yet.. I have the XV01 and XV02-Pro.   Not sure whether to build during warmer months or just wait until Fall.  I recently kicked off my 1:1 car season so RC building takes the back seat.

• Like 2

I think the XV02 has a few things going for it, and a few things going against it.

On the "FOR" side, is that it seems to be a great rally kit, and reviews have been genuinely positive.  It's a "Pro" spec kit, so it's well appointed out of the box.

I think the biggest road bumps it has to deal with are:

1. Price: It's an expensive kit, and haters be hatin' as a result.  Gotta keep in mind though, this is a Pro kit being released in modern times... so I think the price is fine.
  2. Release Date: XV02 hit in what, mid-late 2022?  So not a lot of time for hop ups, feedback, and long-term (or real world) reviews yet.
  3. XV01: The biggest issue with the XV02, is that the XV01 was so good, and grew such a cult following.  BUT... that car was also released in 2012, so an XV02 is long overdue. 

In typical Tamiya fashion, I think people haven't given the XV02 a fair shot yet... they are comparing it's price to a lower spec car that was released 11 years ago, and despite spending 11 years asking for an updated version... they will just pine over what once was.

XV01 is great.  And has a decade of variants, upgrades, setup tips and hacks to make it work better.

XV02 is also great.  But newer, and maybe a bit of a wild card.

@RallyX Tamiya lists the TB-05 Aluminum steering bridge as a compatible upgrade for the XV02.  There is a build thread HERE that show's it being used.

• Like 7

I wouldn't worry too much about parts, as long as you treat your XV-02 like a rally/touring car (so no giant jumps or what not) you'll probably wear out the motor or your tires before breaking anything.

• Like 2

It's too new - it hasn't been even available yet here in czechia, which is weird considering how popular XV01 was on rally courses.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about parts, as long as you treat your XV-02 like a rally/touring car (so no giant jumps or what not) you'll probably wear out the motor or your tires before breaking anything.

The only reason I’m worried is because I was breaking a steering knuckle on my TT-02 almost every week. The equivalent parts on the XV-02 are fiberglass reinforced, so maybe I should be less concerned. We run rally on the same track as the buggies, so there are jumps, but they’re relatively small. 

35 minutes ago, RallyX said:

The only reason I’m worried is because I was breaking a steering knuckle on my TT-02 almost every week. The equivalent parts on the XV-02 are fiberglass reinforced, so maybe I should be less concerned. We run rally on the same track as the buggies, so there are jumps, but they’re relatively small. 

The TT-02 front knuckle breaking was due the bottom of the knuckle protruding, especially in 'high' ride height mode and becoming very exposed when driving off road. That was basically a design compromise Tamiya made to be able to do it all with the same kit, low or high. On mine I have shortened the bottom of the knuckle to make it flush with the bottom of the lower arm. I have never broken one this way.

I doubt the XV-02 would have similar needs for either modifying parts or constantly breaking and replacing them. As others have said, it is a high-end kit and you are more likely to wear-out tires more than anything else.

• Like 2

I run both the XV01 and XV02, they are both quite sturdy and have never had problems with any of them, the reinforced plastic in the XV02 is just so much better than the plastic in the tt02... the way its built.. its just something else.

I also feel like the XV02 is a little easier for maintenance than the XV01, easier to disassemble and has a friendlier transmision.

About the steering upgrade I dropped a TB05 alu steering with ackerman adjustment without mods and next thing Im trying is the Embie mod to place the servo upside down and with direct steering which I did also in my XV01 and love.

• Like 2

Fyi yeah racing make complete alloy steering assembly. I ended up using there arms with the tb05 link. 

Well, I've raced my XV02 once so far at the very small indoor off-road track (won the B Main) and I've run it on both the dirt track near me on Tuesday and the very large indoor off-road track today. Finally broke something after getting smacked by a SCT and of course it was the steering bellcrank that snapped off where it connects to the rod from the servo. Naturally I can't find anywhere in the US that stocks the T parts (or even the Yeah Racing parts), so I guess I'll be running my TT02 at the race on Saturday. 

Just now, Sogogi said:

Would love to try out xv02 in the near future! 

I'm super happy with it! Handles worlds better than my rally-spec TT02, and especially on dirt it looks very scale going around the track and kicking the rear end out in the turns.

• Like 1

Funnily enough I still have not run mine, think I’ll take it to the track next meet. See what happens. 

I’m running the yeah racing bell cranks with the tb05 steering link, various shims to tidy up the slop. 

I think the xv02 pro is quite highly aimed at rally racers and enthusiasts. I am wondering if they will release a cheaper version with a body like the xv01 has but this time they’ve done it all in reverse. 

I will be building my XV02 Pro pretty soon.  I made an extension cable for the 1251MG I will be running this morning.  Will also run XR10JustStock, 17.5 ThunderPower BL, and a Futaba receiver to run off my 7PXR.   Will do the Delta body,, but will start with the dark blue version first with minimal decals.  I have another Delta body (actually a XV01 kit) which I shall do box art later in the Fall.  B)

Just need to decide whether I want to build the Tomahawk first or not..

What battery are people using? I'm still deciding whether to go XV01 or XV02. I have a few shorty lipos from my B6 race buggy and it seems to make sense to run a short pack pushed to the front with the XV02.

Just now, Butler said:

What battery are people using? I'm still deciding whether to go XV01 or XV02. I have a few shorty lipos from my B6 race buggy and it seems to make sense to run a short pack pushed to the front with the XV02.

I’m using a shorty lipo in mine, pushed forward with a block of foam. 

By the way, I ended up getting a set of Eagle Racing bell cranks off of eBay, and they're fantastic! About the same price as the Yeah Racing, but they seem to be higher quality. Less slop than the original parts, too.