Sign in to follow this  
Wayne Campbell

Chrome spray paint a Blackfoot frame

Has anyone experience with spray painting a blackfoot frame? I have this idea of building a blackfoot 60ies style. I got chrome rims, will probably paint it with 2 different shades of blue, and then spray paint the frame in chrome. Has anyone here done this before? Inputs very much appreciated!

Never tried it. The early Brat re-releases came with a chrome plated frame (same parts), but they're probably impossible to find now.

I did use Krylon (I think) chrome paint on my Blackfoot's wheels, but it looks more like shiny aluminum than chrome. It's still holding up after 10 years, though.

img21836_292021121515_1.jpg

• Like 5

You may struggle to get a true chrome spray paint. If you do use spray paint I'd paint with black gloss paint first, then a chrome over the top. You may get a more aluminium/silver finish than real chrome however. I am doing a Nikko truck and I found that my chrome spray paint over black paint got me close to aluminium. 

If you use expensive spray paints (not cans) you may have better luck, although I've heard they are not super tough wearing. Alclad seems to get good reviews. Not cheap and will probably chip.

If you do go down this route you may find that you want to use the same paint on the wheels as the frame (rather than true chrome wheels) as having chrome and then almost chrome might look odd.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=128144

Personally I think this looks great, but I think it in an brushed aluminium would also look cool! 

• Like 1

Alclad is the best chrome paint out there but it is very difficult to do correctly and it needs perfect surface preparation, as already mention, gloss black as the primer is require. Perfect gloss BTW. Oh, it needs to be applied with an airbrush and it is quite deadly compared to most other model paint. The results can be as good as chrome plated if done correctly.

Your alternative is to get chrome spray cans from hardware shops.

• Like 1

This topic comes up a lot.  I agree that true chrome is expensive and difficult and the best you can hope for is an aluminum looking finish with a rattle can "chrome".  WIth that said, the best spray that I have used are the Krylon Metallics.  I've attached a pic of a body I did.  I used the spray on the bumper, painted on the outside.  Also just added a drag wheel i painted using the same paint.

https://www.krylon.com/en/products/craft/premium-metallic#accordion-8fed2f2552-item-5fed8d0ddc

DeathProof5.jpg

Drag Wheel.jpeg

• Like 2

@Wayne Campbell, you could try molotow liquid chrome which comes in an application pen and can be applied as it is, or in an air brush. It'd need to be clear coated. I read a review with pictures  online that coating it with E7 paints clear coat sealer makes it durable (it's not very durable without it), and doesn't make it dull like many clear coats do with chrome.

I've just started using the stuff on my Kenworth log truck project and I have to say I'm really impressed. Gotta try it in an airbrush yet....

Good luck! 

Kurt

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:03 PM, Beetlemankurt said:

@Wayne Campbell, you could try molotow liquid chrome which comes in an application pen and can be applied as it is, or in an air brush. It'd need to be clear coated. I read a review with pictures  online that coating it with E7 paints clear coat sealer makes it durable (it's not very durable without it), and doesn't make it dull like many clear coats do with chrome.

I've just started using the stuff on my Kenworth log truck project and I have to say I'm really impressed. Gotta try it in an airbrush yet....

Good luck! 

Kurt

I ordered some. let’s see how it goes. Thank you very much!

Good stuff mate! I'm finding it great. It does take weeks to dry properly (its an ink/pigment  rather than paint)....goes on thick as and looks like it will run...but it doesn't. In fact, applying it really thickly is the way to go as it lays down better and dries to a better finish.

I've yet to use tye E7 clear but apparently it's the way to go to prevent the chrome surface getting rubbed off etc. 

Be interested to see how you go.

Cheers Kurt