Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

33 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I find Ali Express better though personally

I used to use AE a lot until they started collecting VAT last year. Then it went down significantly. At least I still can collect BAEC points when buying from them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

The problem is Chinese can refer to race or nationality. As a British Chinese, I have nothing to do with China, nor my father. Any links are long gone now. Personally, I prefer things to be called China-whatever to make it clear it comes from China.

The trouble is China/china can refer to a place or a ceramic material, as in china crockery. To me, if someone says "China shocks", my first thought is "Why would someone make shocks out of china? I'd prefer aluminium ones thanks." 😀

Edited by TurnipJF
Edited for correct capitalisation as per post below
  • Haha 6

52 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The trouble is China can refer to a place or a ceramic material, as in China crockery. To me, if someone says "China shocks", my first thought is "Why would someone make shocks out of China? I'd prefer aluminium ones thanks." 😀

"China" with a "C" refers to the country. "china" with a "c" refers to the material. At least according to the Cambridge dictionary.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/china

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

"China" with a "C" refers to the country. "china" with a "c" refers to the material. At least according to the Cambridge dictionary.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/china

True, but hard to tell how someone is capitalising the word when they are speaking...

I have however edited my earlier post to have the correct capitalisation, as it does make a difference in written form as you correctly point out. 👍

I thought of another one…. This is gonna really ruffle feathers. I dont like when people put a driver in their car. This is mainly aimed at the people putting ‘action man’ in a TRX4 etc, but it resonates here, as a fair few Tamiya’s come with a figure/head. It just looks extremely toy like to me. Just makes a £500 RC look like a cheap Argos toy. ‘They’re’ not driving  anything, I am.

And as for the ‘scale’ argument, leave your Ken Doll at home and black the windows if it you..

I anticipate disgust in my replies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

I thought of another one…. This is gonna really ruffle feathers. I dont like when people put a driver in their car. This is mainly aimed at the people putting ‘action man’ in a TRX4 etc, but it resonates here, as a fair few Tamiya’s come with a figure/head. It just looks extremely toy like to me. Just makes a £500 RC look like a cheap Argos toy. ‘They’re’ not driving  anything, I am.

And as for the ‘scale’ argument, leave your Ken Doll at home and black the windows if it bothers yiu.

you just reminded me about my Genius plan to place He-Man & Evilyn in my Agrios. Evilyn is driving ofc

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, simalarion said:

you just reminded me about my Genius plan to place He-Man & Evilyn in my Agrios. Evilyn is driving ofc

Glad to be of assistance 😁

• Thanks 1

Just now, simalarion said:

How about He Man and Barbie in a King Blackfoot?

image.png.44b73182e5381c2b135c563e6c699360.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Saint Dragon is an unsung beauty.   

The Striker is also a very good looking car if the driver figure is nicely painted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pizza Frog said:

The Striker is also a very good looking car if the driver figure is nicely painted. 

I'm with you on the Striker, always liked it when it came out even though I heard it was less than stellar but the Saint Dragon...comon'man! 

6 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

And as for the ‘scale’ argument, leave your Ken Doll at home and black the windows if it you..

I would like to kindly express my disgust ☝️🤨

Kidding... 😁 to each their own opinion, of course. But of all the 8 pages of the thread so far, this is the one thing that got me to say something (I usually steer clear from this type of discussions).

I personally think the exact opposite! RC cars look much more toy-like without a driver, whereas the addition of one -especially if well painted- enhances their look by a lot. And if one likes a miniature car, what's wrong with a miniature pilot? That being said, for the sake of running it's certainly easier and more functional to just paint the windows black.

But just like somebody here said a while ago: "Every buggy needs a driver!"

And at this point, might as well drop the bomb... I don't think it's been brought up amongst the unpopular opinions yet, so here goes:

Uncut body posts, left as kit stock instead of cut to the right size, make me cringe. :ph34r:

*Window crashing, door slamming and tires screeching*

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pizza Frog said:

I like the SD, but unfortunately when they rere it, I already got myself a TD. Don't need 2 dragons at the same time at the moment.

Although I do have all of them in the Jr version.

24 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Uncut body posts, left as kit stock instead of cut to the right size

I usually do not cut body posts unless they get in the way or something. Reason? They act as a crashbar when the car rollover and protects the body. I have a few "postless" body fitting systems and those cars look completely trashed.

27 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

..... RC cars look much more toy-like without a drive

Uncut body posts, left as kit stock instead of cut to the right size, make me cringe. :ph34r:

I agree on both points.   As mentioned in another post, I'm a big fan of the scale aspect of RC (be it cars, trucks, boats or planes) so for me,  I like the scale looking driver figures.   I only wish the industry would recognize this and make more choices in driver figures.  Admittedly, I do not currently have a scale driver in all my RC cars but I think they look much more scale with one.  

The scale appearance carries over to the body posts.   Personally I wish they weren't there in the first place but since they are,....cut them down.   I do however, respect using the longer posts for protection on a runner.   Definitely an appearance trade off but one designed to....well, keep the appearance better for a longer period of time.  

That said,  I'd like to point out that Ferruz was the first to make these statements so please direct your first quiver of arrows toward him.   I'll be hiding in the closet.....   :D

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

I personally think the exact opposite! RC cars look much more toy-like without a driver, whereas the addition of one -especially if well painted- enhances their look by a lot. And if one likes a miniature car, what's wrong with a miniature pilot? That being said, for the sake of running it's certainly easier and more functional to just paint the windows black.

To me "scale" driverless crawlers (or just slower RCs) look possessed, only works if you're building a Herbie the Lovebug replica.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Rinskie said:

I'm with you on the Striker, always liked it when it came out even though I heard it was less than stellar but the Saint Dragon...comon'man! 

The Saint grows on you, it's graceful appearance looks even better in person. 

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I like the SD, but unfortunately when they rere it, I already got myself a TD. Don't need 2 dragons at the same time at the moment.

Although I do have all of them in the Jr version.

I would love to get a TD if I found it on sale, I don't have that chassis with a front monoshock. 

7 hours ago, Pizza Frog said:

I'm not sure about unsung, but yes, a beauty. I finally have one, albeit 4wd

This is my first post on this thread and clearly since the Boomerang is the pinnacle of RC my opinion isn't going to be unpopular, since, you know, the Boomerang is as good as it gets

• Like 2

I am in two minds about driver figures. On one hand, I completely agree that, unless you are purposefully modelling a driverless car or some sort of possessed vehicle like Christine, they look weird driving around with a visible cockpit and nobody inside.

However at the same time, I think they look a bit odd sitting on display with a driver at the wheel, staring ahead, looking for oncoming traffic that will never come.

Many of my models have deeply tinted or blacked out windows for this reason, however I can't help wondering whether there would be the market for some sort of quick-release driver figure that could be installed and removed depending on whether the car is being used or displayed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pizza Frog said:

I would love to get a TD if I found it on sale, I don't have that chassis with a front monoshock. 

I got it for the mono shock but not the body...🤷😁

• Like 1

Ok mittens off (For the record I really enjoy the whole RC scene and love this forum)

@markbt73
"(I've taken heat for this one before) If you didn't build it, or rebuild it, yourself, it doesn't count."
Each to there own but personally the building of a kit is so much of the enjoyment for me that I have no interest in buying/owning an RC I didnt build.
I once went on holiday with my brother and one of his friends who both drove 1:1 kit cars. My brother and I built his and then I found out the other guy just bought his prebuilt. Without thinking I asked what the point of that was and said I couldnt see any point in having a kit car if you didnt build it yourself...he had a bit of a sulk :)

@Twinfan
"LiPos are a waste of time, effort and money unless you're a top class racer"
I would go further and say in most other industries a product that was this prone to spontaneous combustion would be illegal to sell. I understand the majority of people never have a problem when treating the LiPo "carefully" but in any other form of product if there was any chance at all of bursting into flames the product would be withdrawn from stores. Yet for some reason its accepted in the RC hobby. Yes there are many dangerous things in the world but if I am not racing and dont need every second of performance and I can get just as much enjoyment from my RC car by going the safer, cheaper and more convenient NiMH route I'll do that every time.

@Alvinlwh
"I can't stand calling those stickers decals"
I'm with Alvinlwh on this one. Conversation is a lot clearer when people use a different term for water-slide and sticky-backed transfers and "generally" water-slide are referred to as decals and sticky-backed are referred to as stickers. For example on wikipedia (which we know is never wrong :/ ) "Two variations include the traditional water-slide or water-dip, with the artwork screen-printed on water-resistant paper coated with a layer of water-soluble adhesive, and a dry peel-and-stick format using a standard adhesive - which technically is not a decal, as there is no "art transfer", rather an adhesive-backed label known as a sticker."

@moffman
"this is a light hearted hobby and likewise forum"
Completely agree. There are so many places on the internet with people complaining/raging about all kinds of everything but I come to Tamiyaclub as my little island of tranquility. Tamiya kits (RC or static) let me revert to a child, I can shut out the world and focus solely on getting a kit together, thats all I want from Tamiya and this forum and they do it perfectly. :)

And lastly, there is no punishment too severe for scammers. It seems to have become acceptable by some people but it is exactly the same as breaking into someone's house and stealing their TV or pickpocketing a wallet. People worked hard for that cash and then a total-<beep> thinks they can just take it. If found scamming they should get criminal record, lifetime block from the internet and preferably something lopped off their anatomy.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

spacer.png

I kid, I kid. :D 

My dad loved his railroad models and setups, building the structures and sometimes the rail cars, and using molds of rocks to build terrain, etc.  I can see the desire for scale realism, but also how this easily escalates into 'playing with dolls'.  I'm somewhere in the middle; I have a couple transformers on my desk that change pose every once in a while, and If I can get clear windows on an RC car I'll put in a driver, even if I don't paint them well.

PS on a different note, after pasting the gif on here, I noticed that Ned 'blinks' his eyes once; the black dot 'blinks', but no eye lid action.  Skinner, however has his eyelids halfway down the whole time, so they exist in animation...  does this mean Ned Flanders is an alien?!?

19 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I dont like when people put a driver in their car

I think for me to some extent it depends on my feelings about the car but also it depends on the particular car. What would a Wild Willy be without Wild Willy or Wendy driving it?!

[Edit] I just thought of another one. Vehicles like Matteo's tractor videos definitely need a farmer driving the tractors.

34 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

spacer.png

I kid, I kid. :D 

My dad loved his railroad models and setups, building the structures and sometimes the rail cars, and using molds of rocks to build terrain, etc.  I can see the desire for scale realism, but also how this easily escalates into 'playing with dolls'.  I'm somewhere in the middle; I have a couple transformers on my desk that change pose every once in a while, and If I can get clear windows on an RC car I'll put in a driver, even if I don't paint them well.

PS on a different note, after pasting the gif on here, I noticed that Ned 'blinks' his eyes once; the black dot 'blinks', but no eye lid action.  Skinner, however has his eyelids halfway down the whole time, so they exist in animation...  does this mean Ned Flanders is an alien?!?

No, but he does have glasses while Skinner does not. The glasses frames are fixed, so the animators had to figure out a way to indicate a blink without moving the outer part of the eye. Thus the blinking pupils.

• Like 2

Probably the most unpopular opinion yet.  Amain canceled my backorder of my trf211xm.  It was going to be 670.00 shipped.  I was so annoyed I bought a Losi 22 5.0 dc roller. I really wanted the kit but we are talking 419.00 vs 259.00 on sale. I also picked up a Team associated Rc8b3.2 brand new for under 300.00 (they are sold out on the AE website now).  I saved 200.00 and got two amazing buggies.

• Like 1