Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

5 hours ago, skom25 said:

It is similar situation to car collectors: some of them buy cars and even do not touch them. Another take care but drive them. It is car, should be used. The same with RC models.

This above mentality has been caused so much harm to 1:1 car culture.  Especially with the American muscle car segment of car enthusiasts.

So many great examples are held and buffed and coddled like they are actual holy grail, never having their cheap, thin bias ply rear tires melted in anger.

The trickle down effect is thousands of less pristine examples of the same models rot in a barn because “I know what I’ve got and it’s gonna sell for 6 figures at Meachum if I get around to cleaning it up “  Artificially lowering supply and raising demand for the common enthusiast who just desires a 6 or 7 out 10 daily driver as a project car.

The sad thing is seeing this same thing creep into RC and toy collection 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

This above mentality has been caused so much harm to 1:1 car culture.  Especially with the American muscle car segment of car enthusiasts.

Tbh the whole full size car "future investment" nonsense disgusts me. What good is a car when you get to be too old/sick/injured to take it out for a spin?

I apply that same logic to my RCs, they're toys for having fun with. Not ancient idol statues that will cause bad things to happen if I use one as a back scratcher.

Toys on the other hand...the fact that Funko Pops are a thing sums up that segment well. I have a hard time even calling them "toys".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dakratfink said:

Especially with the American muscle car segment of car enthusiasts.

Especially that if I remember correctly, American Muscle cars as new were... cheap. Gold era of big engines and burning tires for everyone.

Ok, I have feeling that we went with Offtopic way too far 😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Finally, the stickers. Some RC builders will call them decals just to sound more grown up but they clearly had not seen what decals works in the modelling world. Decals can be made to "disappear" to the point that they appear to be painted on while stickers will look like stickers no matter how well they are cut. Stickers on a shell just look like a model of a badge on a real car.

IMHO, a static kit of 1:20/24 at 1/4 or smaller the size of a RC car and costs far less makes a better model than a RC car. Some of the better static kits even build up almost like a real car with chassis, frame, etc and measurements down to mm correct.

I often build the same static and RC side by side (when possible and available) and can clearly see the difference between the two. In fact I recently bought a Tyrrell P34 RC and will be picking up the 1:20 one as well and build (and paint) them side by side in an upcoming build thread.

Decals are not just for models which is the water-slide that you refer to. The word decal is also referred to outdoor stickers/decals used in almost everything from automotive, civil industry/buildings, marine and aviation. Also using the name "decal" doesn't make anyone here feel like a grown up unless it's only you. Now wanna get to modeling discussion? I don't really wanna go off-topic and derail this thread but trust me, you don't want to talk about that and feel like a kindergarten. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

So many great examples are held and buffed and coddled like they are actual holy grail, never having their cheap, thin bias ply rear tires melted in anger.

The trickle down effect is thousands of less pristine examples of the same models rot in a barn because “I know what I’ve got and it’s gonna sell for 6 figures at Meachum if I get around to cleaning it up “  Artificially lowering supply and raising demand for the common enthusiast who just desires a 6 or 7 out 10 daily driver as a project car.

Hoarding is everywhere, not just RC and it actually is less of a problem in RC except for vintage models which understandably are sought after, therefore commanding higher prices. In RC, every time a new kit is released, most likely you will be able to get one if you preorder or just buy when it goes on sale. Compare that to each time a new game console is released, or when a new car like a C8 Vette (3-4 years waiting list) or even just a Toyota Sequoia (1 year waiting list). Or try going to a Rolex boutique and ask about availability of any of the steel sports models which you will probably be laughed at by the sales associate. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, one_hit said:

Hoarding is everywhere, not just RC and it actually is less of a problem in RC except for vintage models which understandably are sought after, therefore commanding higher prices. In RC, every time a new kit is released, most likely you will be able to get one if you preorder or just buy when it goes on sale. Compare that to each time a new game console is released, or when a new car like a C8 Vette (3-4 years waiting list) or even just a Toyota Sequoia (1 year waiting list). Or try going to a Rolex boutique and ask about availability of any of the steel sports models which you will probably be laughed at by the sales associate. 

Im pretty convinced the Rolex issue is purposely created 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Decals are not just for models which is the water-slide that you refer to. The word decal is also referred to outdoor stickers/decals used in almost everything from automotive, civil industry/buildings, marine and aviation. Also using the name "decal" doesn't make anyone here feel like a grown up unless it's only you. Now wanna get to modeling discussion? I don't really wanna go off-topic and derail this thread but trust me, you don't want to talk about that and feel like a kindergarten. 

Thought I already replied to you on this? 

Actually, since my last reply to you, there had been a new member, a long term static modeller that just started on RC, and he thought he can use decal set solution on the RC stickers. Perhaps you don't see a problem with the confusion, I do. Sure my view on this maybe unpopular in your eyes, but that is completely in line with this thread.

Finally, about kindergarden... I am just quoting another member that did not want to be a 7 yo girl...

• Like 2

To me "sticker" is a technical term, it gets my point across with just how tedious they can be.

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Im pretty convinced the Rolex issue is purposely created 

A lot of the "shortages" among collector items are purposely created their creators, it keeps people obsessed with whatever macguffins they crave.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

“I know what I’ve got and it’s gonna sell for 6 figures at Meachum if I get around to cleaning it up “

On a total side tangent, I got to work on one of Dana Mecum's personal Packards once at my previous job, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Actually, since my last reply to you, there had been a new member, a long term static modeller that just started on RC, and he thought he can use decal set solution on the RC stickers.

Is there a thread for this? I have been wondering if decal set solution might help the STICKERS conform a bit better around sharper angle. 

8 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Is there a thread for this? I have been wondering if decal set solution might help the STICKERS conform a bit better around sharper angle. 

No, there was a new member whom (might even be yourself?) that asked that question, and the answer is, no decal set will not work on stickers. You may already had experience that such solutions will not even work on thicker decals, nevermind the super thick stickers of RC.

Actually being giving this some thought, I think RC is the only sector of modelling hobby where stickers are called decals. There is one particular sector (that I am aware of) where it matters a lot, the Gundam/Bandai section of this hobby. Some lower grades in that sector comes with stickers but decals are available as an upgrade. Now imagine the confusion there if these two words are freely interchanged.

EDIT: It was not you.

The secret is Hot Air Gun or Wify’s hair blower makes the stickers melt perfectly i to the lexan body. You can even fix bubles if you prick a hole with needle first, hot air and then use finger to even out air buble. You do not want to use to much heat so sticker melt and criple ofc, so you must wach out and not heat it up to much

• Like 3

Chipping in as someone new to the hobby.

When you're shopping for them, actual stores use the terms decals and stickers interchangeably, so it's easy to be confused. 

It's easy to get confused when different names are used for the same thing e.g. shocks, dampers, shock towers, damper stays, universals, CVD, dogbones, drive shafts...the list goes on.

I don't think anyone is pretending to be anything based on the term they use, it's just the one they know.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

When you're shopping for them, actual stores use the terms decals and stickers interchangeably, so it's easy to be confused. 

It's easy to get confused when different names are used for the same thing e.g. shocks, dampers, shock towers, damper stays, universals, CVD, dogbones, drive shafts...the list goes on.

I don't think anyone is pretending to be anything based on the term they use, it's just the one they know.

Don't get me started on Lipo...

Do I need massage therapy after my liposuction? - Cosmeticsurg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Don't get me started on Lipo...

Spits battery out of mouth… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

Apparently, you'll be accused of not being a grown up and called out if you use the word decal "wrongfully" as Mr. Professional Modeler :rolleyes: does excellent and flawless job in all his modeling work. Probably because he's THE authority and Guru when it comes to decal and sticker (and Lipo safety) standard classification and certification equivalent to ISO. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

I know that when I shop for decals that most online rc stores call them decals. I worked in a hobby store in the late 80s and back then we called them decals. I don’t recall once being corrected by modelers, rc’ers or train customers. But then again, I’m just some dumb dip**** in flyover country. 

• Like 1

I never expected my "sticker" remark to be as controversial as it was. Next thing you know we'll be debating if we should call RCs "toys"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

Next thing you know we'll be debating if we should call RCs "toys"!

That is exactly what I consider them to be. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skom25 said:

Ok, I have feeling that we went with Offtopic way too far 😁

1 . 
You can never go too far off topic 

2 . say hello to my friend Jack

”Hi Jack! “ 

lol ok I’ll stop now 

52 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I also consider full size 1:1 car toys, Motorbike are definitely toys . I tools for a living, and , for the most part I consider most tools toys , too 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Finally, about kindergarden... I am just quoting another member that did not want to be a 7 yo girl...

Not sure how much of a "pro" modeler you are but trust me, you don't want to talk about that with the big boys because you'll end up like a kindergarten comparing your work to what the real pros does. Sorry, but frankly, I find your model works (which I've seen in the static model thread) very mediocre and less to most "pro" modelers' standards when it comes to building, painting, custom, modifications, decal application, and the list goes on. So again, let's not go there.

6 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I believe rule is simple:

Model: has spare parts, upgrades, modifications etc

Toy: 100% RTR thing. If it breaks, it goes to trash

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Not sure how much of a "pro" modeler you are but trust me, you don't want to talk about that with the big boys because you'll end up like a kindergarten comparing your work which is not even half the standards of the real pros. Sorry, but I find your model works (which I've seen in the static model thread) very mediocre and less to most "pro" modelers' standards when it comes to building, painting, custom, modifications, decal application, and the list goes on. So again, let's not go there.

Oh wow. I don't think I had ever claimed to be a pro. Someone did call me an "expert" here once and I corrected him as I am just a hobbyist.

You seem really hung about about the kindergarten part, which I have to point out, again, was not something I said but rather the reason of someone else on this forum for preferring one word over another.

• Like 1

Lets play nice guys, honestly it's not worth getting upset about if we call something a sticker or decal to put on a toy car / absolutely not a toy car.

A huge percentage of communication is tone and body language so too many nuances get missed to really convey much complexity on an online forum, and for many of us Tamiyaclub is a rare refuge of positivity from the modern world. Be nice to keep it that way. 

Back on the topic I have never really liked buggies. I get the early 80s cars where modelled on an at-the-time popular motorsport, but I don't think the buggies they make now really exist in the real world. 

The vintage buggies therefore make sense, but modern ones with the cab forward or shapeless blobs.... not for me.

I wish Tamiya would throw more truck bodies on buggies chassis again, a TD4 dressed up like a short course or Baja truck would be ace.

I also wish Tamiya would do more of the Wild Willy 2 treatment and give us updated versions of classic trucks which work and handle better. I love my Pumpkin a Pumpkin 2 would be much nicer!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1