Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

Waterslide decals or Sticky decals✌️☮️🕊️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nikko85 said:

Lets play nice guys, honestly it's not worth getting upset about if we call something a sticker or decal to put on a toy car / absolutely not a toy car.

A huge percentage of communication is tone and body language so too many nuances get missed to really convey much complexity on an online forum, and for many of us Tamiyaclub is a rare refuge of positivity from the modern world. Be nice to keep it that way

Good point. I had many argues on cycling Forum, just because fact you described.

It is hobby. Some people want just to bash around for fun ( me), other compete, spend a lot of money and do not like calling that "toys". It is the same in every hobby. If you spent a lot of money and time and then someone tells you about "toys" you can get upset.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skom25 said:

I believe rule is simple:

Model: has spare parts, upgrades, modifications etc

Toy: 100% RTR thing. If it breaks, it goes to trash

My rule is different.

Model - all visible parts are a scaled down version of the real thing. Dimensionally correct.

Toy - not all visible parts like the real thing. Dimensionally incorrect.

But then I am just a mediocre model maker, so what do I know?

I believe your rules match more to static models. In that case, not even one RC should be called model. 

5 minutes ago, skom25 said:

I believe your rules match more to static models. In that case, not even one RC should be called model. 

Yeap, that is why I call them toys to differentiate them from my static models.

• Like 2

My go to source for all things to do with words the OED says the following—“noun. /ˈdikæl/ a picture or design that can be removed from a piece of paper and stuck onto a surface, for example by being pressed or heated.” It also gives both forms of pronunciation ie  deeeecal or deckal ( both phonetic) but that’s another topic altogether 😉 Happy Days keep smiling ☺️ 

• Like 1

Please let’s not get into the meaning of models/modelling. If I copy and pasted the OED definition into this site it would 💥!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

My go to source for all things to do with words the OED says the following—“noun. /ˈdikæl/ a picture or design that can be removed from a piece of paper and stuck onto a surface, for example by being pressed or heated.” It also gives both forms of pronunciation ie  deeeecal or deckal ( both phonetic) but that’s another topic altogether 😉 Happy Days keep smiling ☺️ 

Oh, I'm all up for transparency, openness and decent debate, but anyone calling them deckals should be shot as traitors. End of. 

:D:lol:

In all seriousness, words change, and unless you are talking about a scientific term with rigid meaning then the word people use is the word or ends up that way. Personally I look at my little boy playing with toy trucks, and frankly either a complex model or an RC car is just to me an evolution of that. I'm still just a kid playing vroom vroom with toys, it's just my ones have motors and such because at my age I'm to lazy to push. I'd say a 1:1 race car someone mainly has to look at and drive for fun is a toy too, just a very expensive one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

No, there was a new member whom (might even be yourself?) that asked that question, and the answer is, no decal set will not work on stickers

Yeah, this was me. I learnt parts of my hobby (static modelling) from people who would always refer to the sticky backed things as stickers and the things that you put into water for a few seconds and then slid onto your model and could slide around as decals. So when I came to this forum and people were talking about decals I just assumed they were water-slide. I was grateful to be corrected when I was or I could have made a mess of my kit :) As the topic heading says it may be an unpopular opinion but I do think it would help clarity if water-slide thingies had a different name to sticky backed thingies which is why I tend to use "decal" and "sticker" respectively. I have no opinion at all on the worth of a "sticker" or "decal" or what it implies about the person using them. They are just 2 different technologies that can attach a printed thingy to another surface. Words are great tools and can be used in many ways and sometimes this can mean a single word can be used in different ways by different people, sometimes at the cost of clarity.

As @alvinlwh said, no-one accused another person of being in kindergarten. The only reference to kindergarten was when someone said they dont like using the term "sticker" because it makes them feel like a little girl in kindergarten.

And since I'm on the subject of terminology, personally I dont see "toy" and "model" as mutually exclusive. For me a model is a creation to represent something else whether that is a static kit, lego, a sculpted figure etc. Completely separately for me "toy" is a completely subjective term for an individual. If I enjoy "playing" with a thing (doing something purely for fun) then for me it is a "toy". If I buy a new DIY tool and I get excited to use it for the first time it is a "toy". I know because the missus tells me so..."have you bought yourself a new toy?" So when it comes to things like my GF-01, I see it as a "model" kit which, because I get a huge amount of enjoyment out of it and play with it, for me, is also a toy :) The flip side of this is people I have met who sometimes build models as a job for customers like museum displays. For them it is still a "model" but they are doing it purely as a job and as soon as built the item will be put in a diorama or display case. For me that is not a toy, it will never be played with.

[A caveat to this is that for some people, like me, 90% of the "playing" is building the model in the first place so even a shelf queen could be a toy :) Language is so maleable :)]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

You seem really hung about about the kindergarten part, which I have to point out, again, was not something I said but rather the reason of someone else on this forum for preferring one word over another.

You just don't get it. I'm not hung about the kindergarten part. It's not about the other people I'm referring to as kindergarten. Its' you, when compared your mediocre modeling builds and skills to the pros. Because you sound like so great about the hobby but frankly, it's not even half to a pro's standards.

You mentioned not being able to stand to people who call stickers as "decal" and that they're pretending to be "grown ups". Your opinion clearly states that you're an expert/pro in the decal department, modeling as well as the unsafety of Lipo that you expressed in others threads which in fact you obviously lack experience with. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Please let’s not get into the meaning of models/modelling. If I copy and pasted the OED definition into this site it would 💥!!!

It’s only serious modelling if you keep your top on and the pictures are in black and white. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Nick-W said:

It’s only serious modelling if you keep your top on and the pictures are in black and white. 

Yep that’s in there somewhere!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

You just don't get it. I'm not hung about the kindergarten part. It's not about the other people I'm referring to as kindergarten. Its' you, when compared your mediocre modeling builds and skills to the pros. Because you sound like so great about the hobby but frankly, it's not even half to a pro's standards.

You mentioned not being able to stand to people who call stickers as "decal" and that they're pretending to be "grown ups". Your opinion clearly states that you're an expert/pro in the decal department, modeling as well as the unsafety of Lipo that you expressed in others threads which in fact you obviously lack experience with. 

Really? I don't recall ever comparing my builds to the pros, ever. I know they are mediocre and will never do it. If you judged them to be of kindergarten stands, well, the good thing is I do not enter them into competitions to be judged. I know they are only good enough to be selected for exhibition at the local museum that's all.

Since you are such a lipo expert, then you will know the lithium fire cases I often quoted are all due to manufacturing defects. Now, care to share how you identify a lipo bought from a shop is defective from the factory or not? I am not an expert so will really like to know how to identify these invisible inbuilt risks.

15 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Completely separately for me "toy" is a completely subjective term for an individual. If I enjoy "playing" with a thing (doing something purely for fun) then for me it is a "toy".

Good point. I do not play with my models, I build them and be done with them. Some of them are so fragile that they may fall apart of you look at them wrong, never mind play with them.🤣

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2023 at 11:16 PM, moffman said:

My unpopular rc opinion is I've always said that this is a light hearted hobby and likewise forum and people do tend to take it to seriously nothing is that important and certain contributors need to lighten up! 

……………..nothing is that important

if you race, bash, build, whatever your thing is in this hobby it’s a pastime! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Really? I don't recall ever comparing my builds to the pros, ever. I know they are mediocre and will never do it. If you judged them to be of kindergarten stands, well, the good thing is I do not enter them into competitions to be judged. I know they are only good enough to be selected for exhibition at the local museum that's all.

Since you are such a lipo expert, then you will know the lithium fire cases I often quoted are all due to manufacturing defects. Now, care to share how you identify a lipo bought from a shop is defective from the factory or not? I am not an expert so will really like to know how to identify these invisible inbuilt risks.

Local kinder museums maybe? :lol:

Lipo expert? Who said it? I never claimed nor did I lecture people about it like you always did. But I've learned a lot about batteries and not just Litium/Lipo but NiCd, NiMh, and LiFe as well because I've used them all and was never afraid to try it and fuzz about it's unsafety issues. I just used them accordingly to do's and don'ts logically. NiCd and NiMh aren't safe too if misused you know (or don't know?). :rolleyes:

Ooh, I've got an unpopular opinion.

An awful lot of people on here seem to down play their builds and everyone professes to be mediocre. However, I dont think I have seen a single thing on this forum that I havent been blown away by. As an official card carrying "newbie" to Tamiya and someone who is only just getting back into static kits after a few years every thing I see on this forum is extremely impressive. I have no experience of what is "expert" or "professional" or any sort of formal "grading" of quality but purely from my perspective there seems to be huge numbers of extremely talented people on this forum.

So I would ask that, whatever you feel your ability level is, please join in any discussions and contribute with any ideas whatever value you personally think they might have. That way we all (and particularly me) can continue to learn from the collective wisdom of TamiyaClub.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

So I would ask that, whatever you feel your ability level is, please join in any discussions and contribute with any ideas whatever value you personally think they might have. That way we all (and particularly me) can continue to learn from the collective wisdom of TamiyaClub.

Well said. 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Local kinder museums maybe? :lol:

Lipo expert? Who said it? I never claimed nor did I lecture people about it like you always did. But I've learned a lot about batteries and not just Litium/Lipo but NiCd, NiMh, and LiFe as well because I've used them all and was never afraid to try it and fuzz about it's unsafety issues. I just used them accordingly to do's and don'ts logically. NiCd and NiMh aren't safe too if misused you know (or don't know?). :rolleyes:

Well, it is local and schools do have trips there so if you want to call it that, so be it 

I tell people about the risks and so that they can to do their own risk assessment. I had a lipo blowing up in a completely sealed, unabusable, unmodifiable device.

You had use them all? Great. So they must be safe then! You experts kept going on about 'misuse' yet in none of the cases I quoted were they misused. Particularly the batteries on UPS6, they were not even in use when they self combusted. So why did those batteries catch fire on their own? Not a single expert can tell me how to identify defects in a new battery and yet most of the serious incidents were due to a factory defect that end users cannot detect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

A huge percentage of communication is tone and body language so too many nuances get missed to really convey much complexity on an online forum.

Back on the topic I have never really liked buggies. I get the early 80s cars where modelled on an at-the-time popular motorsport, but I don't think the buggies they make now really exist in the real world. 

The vintage buggies therefore make sense, but modern ones with the cab forward or shapeless blobs.... not for me.

I wish Tamiya would throw more truck bodies on buggies chassis again, a TD4 dressed up like a short course or Baja truck would be ace.

I also wish Tamiya would do more of the Wild Willy 2 treatment and give us updated versions of classic trucks which work and handle better. I love my Pumpkin a Pumpkin 2 would be much nicer!

Thank you, and that's an excellent point to bring up about how only so much communication can be translated through text.

I often call modern buggies "door wedges", good chassis, but very much dedicated to the track more than anything else.

I wouldn't mind Tamiya reviving their SCT (from before the Slash defined that class) bodies and throwing them onto the XV-01T.

They wouldn't be true SCTs, but they'd be much more scale and not just bloated buggies. Also easier to fit onto my work bench!

• Like 2

Let's see what Tamiya say about this themselves.

Opel Calibra

JGTomCU.jpg

Opel Astra

b0FQTyn.jpg

I will leave it to you to guess which one is the RC and which one is the static.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Particularly the batteries on UPS6, they were not even in use when they self combusted. So why did those batteries catch fire on their own? Not a single expert can tell me how to identify defects in a new battery and yet most of the serious incidents were due to a factory defect that end users cannot detect.

Ah... the legendary UPS6. The one that you've been crying about for the last couple of months (or years). :lol:

I don't even remember anyone here claiming to be an expert. You're the one who seem to be the expert on all things. :unsure:

8 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Ah... the legendary UPS6. The one that you've been crying about for the last couple of months (or years). :lol:

I don't even remember anyone here claiming to be an expert. You're the one who seem to be the expert on all things. :unsure:

Good to see you are laughing about the death of real people in that incident.

Not me but the expert investigators concluded that the batteries self combusted. You have information contradictory to that? I never claimed to be an expert on all things, if I am, I wil know how to identify defective batteries instead of waiting for an answer from those who kept insisting they are safe.

3 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Good to see you are laughing about the death of real people in that incident.

Not me but the expert investigators concluded that the batteries self combusted. You have information contradictory to that? I never claimed to be an expert on all things, if I am, I wil know how to identify defective batteries instead of waiting for an answer from those who kept insisting they are safe.

It's you that I'm laughing at. You're funny because You never moved on from the UPS6. Anyone who read that would know. Not sure why you didn't...  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

It's you that I'm laughing at. You're funny because You never moved on from the UPS6. Anyone who read that would know. Not sure why you didn't...  :rolleyes:

Ok, move on then. UPS6 (2010) to 787 fires (2013) to Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (2016). Becoming safer as time moves on don't they? Oh and in recent years, EV fires.