Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

Many LiPO fires are likely caused by low quality batteries, and there are a lot of low quality accessories out there in the RC world.

It doesn't help that the majority of RC "social media influencers" are shill outs to whatever low quality stuff gets put out (no matter if its a big company or Bangood specials), and that I have no respect for.

1 minute ago, Kowalski86 said:

Many LiPO fires are likely caused by low quality batteries, and there are a lot of low quality accessories out there in the RC world.

Someone pointed out that it is impossible to know who made the cells for RC batteries as no manufactories will put their name to it. So even a branded battery could still be using defective from the factory cell. Now, in the 787 fire cases, GS Yuasa can hardly be considered a low quality manufacture I think.

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

Ok, move on then. UPS6 (2010) to 787 fires (2013) to Samsung Galaxy Note 7 (2016). Becoming safer as time moves on don't they? Oh and in recent years, EV fires.

"Hundreds of millions of Lithium batteries or equipment with Lithium batteries are carried on aircraft annually

https://safetyfirst.airbus.com/lithium-batteries-safe-to-fly/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

"Hundreds of millions of Lithium batteries or equipment with Lithium batteries are carried on aircraft annually

https://safetyfirst.airbus.com/lithium-batteries-safe-to-fly/

And yet lithium batteries are banned from being posted.

https://channelx.world/2012/11/royal-mail-bans-postage-of-lithium-batteries/

For a decade now, I cannot order lithium batteries of any kind from Amazon or otherwise.

As with a lot of things in life I think LiPo batteries are a risk/reward judgement call for each person so everyone will feel differently. There is no right or wrong call.

For me I see my RC hobby as purely for fun and I want the least hassle possible for whatever fun I can. I'm not racing and dont need the extra performance of a LiPo setup so I stick with NiMH batteries for the slightly reduced risk and easier maintenance as I still get a huge amount of fun out of the car.

• Like 7

I don't mean to down play nor to degrade anyone's work here. The reason I said of Alvin's mediocre work is first, to remind him that he should stop feeling too proud of himself and needs to put his feet down on the ground. Second, people have different opinions and it's none of his business whether people would like to call sticker a decal and vice versa and have no right to call them out.

Maybe he should go back and redo his models to improve his work instead of calling out other people's opinions and move on from the UPS6 and his claims of how low quality lithium (Lipo & Life included) batteries are made of, which he insists to be unsafe. He needs to check and realize how much lithium/Lipo/Life is used now compared to NiMh & NiCd 20/30 years ago. If it was so unsafe, then the rest of the world would have stopped using it years ago. Why wait 2 decades?

10 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

I don't mean to down play nor to degrade anyone's work here. The reason I said of Alvin's mediocre work is first, to remind him that he should stop feeling too proud of himself and needs to put his feet down on the ground. Second, people have different opinions and it's none of his business whether people would like to call sticker a decal and vice versa and have no right to call them out.

Maybe he should go back and redo his models to improve his work instead of calling out other people's opinions and move on from the UPS6 and his claims of how low quality lithium (Lipo & Life included) batteries are made of, which he insists to be unsafe. He needs to check and realize how much lithium/Lipo/Life is used now compared to NiMh & NiCd 20/30 years ago. If it was so unsafe, then the rest of the world would have stopped using it years ago. Why wait 2 decades?

Cool.

Can we just leave it there then and get back to the topic. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Right. Its been said that a lot of this is all miss communication as “tone” is hard to perceive without the context of audio or non verbal cues, however your tone and choice of words has been dismissive and aggressive from the start in your interactions with the other protagonist. Semantics matter.

I would ask who else here on this thread or indeed site asked or wants you to act as some sort of arbiter of truth and validity towards the other party or indeed anyone on this site.

I would petition for the mods to lock this thread as it has obviously gone beyond its original remit. 

• Like 4

I cannot agree with several of your points @Nicadraus but thats ok as we can all have different opinions and still get along.

29 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

remind him that he should stop feeling too proud of himself

First I would say that anyone that joins in any aspect of this hobby should feel proud of their learning, creativity and achievements. For Alvin's creations I have to say I'm always very impressed, maybe thats just me, but the creations of the people in this forum such as Alvin and many others really inspire me to try new things.

people have different opinions and it's none of his business whether people would like to call sticker a decal

I kind of agree with you here that people have different opinions. But in the same way that people can call those "printed transfer thingies" whatever they want. Everyone, including Alvin, can have their own opinions on those sticker/decal thingies. And since this thread was entitled "Your Unpopular Opinions" I cant see any harm in someone expressing their personal "opinion" on something that others will find "unpopular" it fits the thread perfectly. It only becomes harmful when someone tries to force their opinions on others but from what I have seen so far Alvin has only expressed his opinion on the subject and it is perfectly ok for you and Alvin to have different opinions and still enjoy the same hobby.

he should go back and redo his models to improve his work instead of calling out other people's opinions

Casting insults such as casting aspersions on someones craftsmanship isnt really in the spirit of civil discussions about what are just peoples opinions. Alvin has repeatedly just expressed his "opinion". Which we should all feel free to do in a grown up conversation.

If it was so unsafe

Again the whole notion of whether LiPo batteries are safe is a judgement call and everyone is different. For me personally, being told a battery is safe as long as it is stored in a fire-proof metal ammunition box, does not equate to safe "enough" for my personal risk level.

[Edit] Sorry @Elbowloh I was already replying and hadnt seen your latest response. Your quite right, lets move on and return TC to being my own personal island of tranquility to hide away from the rest of the angry internet. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, matisse said:

I would petition for the mods to lock this thread as it has obviously gone beyond its original remit. 

As the creator of this thread, I second this. The other two are free to resume their battle in private if they must.

• Like 3

You know when someone makes a negative comment....THE BEST WAY to get under their skin is to completely ignore them. Don't even acknowledge their existence and act as if their comment was never posted.

It is SUPER effective.  Try it on an a-hole family member. Next time they act dumb just drop off the face of the earth.  Nothing else can even come close to decimating their ego.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Again the whole notion of whether LiPo batteries are safe is a judgement call and everyone is different. For me personally, being told a battery is safe as long as it is stored in a fire-proof metal ammunition box, does not equate to safe "enough" for my personal risk level.

Storing lipo batteries in lipo bags and ammo boxes is just insurance in the unlikely event that a lipo catches fire while sitting. Do you see lipo manufacturers, distributors and hobby stores storing batteries in metal cases? No, they are on the shelves or in glass display cases. If they were really unsafe, then they wouldn’t treat them just like any other battery. And like I said to Alvin in the other thread, people die from motor vehicle accidents every single day. Does that mean we shouldn’t ride cars anymore? Or maybe we shouldn't cook at home anymore since the #1 cause of house fires is cooking? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gebbly said:

Ooh, I've got an unpopular opinion.

An awful lot of people on here seem to down play their builds and everyone professes to be mediocre. However, I dont think I have seen a single thing on this forum that I havent been blown away by. As an official card carrying "newbie" to Tamiya and someone who is only just getting back into static kits after a few years every thing I see on this forum is extremely impressive. I have no experience of what is "expert" or "professional" or any sort of formal "grading" of quality but purely from my perspective there seems to be huge numbers of extremely talented people on this forum.

So I would ask that, whatever you feel your ability level is, please join in any discussions and contribute with any ideas whatever value you personally think they might have. That way we all (and particularly me) can continue to learn from the collective wisdom of TamiyaClub.

I'm the most expert of all professionals on this site, and I'll throw a tantrum if anyone says otherwise.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, one_hit said:

Does that mean we shouldn’t ride cars anymore? Or maybe we shouldn't cook at home anymore since the #1 cause of house fires is cooking?

Again it isnt a case of "we" should do anything, it comes down to an individuals own risk/reward threshold. I "need" to cook food so I risk having a cooker in the house and I "need" a car for some transport so I sometimes risk driving. However, for me personally, when it comes to building RC kits which I dont "need", its something I do for fun, then the fire risk and the need for greater maintenance care crosses my own personal risk/reward threshold. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

As the creator of this thread, I second this. The other two are free to resume their battle in private if they must.

Well, the sticker/decal crap was brought up in one of my threads about a month ago. If I have upset the delicate balance of having an unpopular opinion, in the unpopular opinion thread, I won't apologize. 

I will say loud and proudly:

STICK YOUR DECALS! (or decal your stickers?!!)

I will continue to call them DECALS even if it becomes politically incorrect or it becomes some sort of offensive term for some woke joker!  WOOHOO! I WIN. 

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, one_hit said:

And like I said to Alvin in the other thread, people die from motor vehicle accidents every single day. Does that mean we shouldn’t ride cars anymore? Or maybe we shouldn't cook at home anymore since the #1 cause of house fires is cooking? 

I think we should stop getting upset over who runs what battery in their RCs. If you ask me, AAA batteries will always be the best!

• Like 2

At the end of the day - we all have free will, and if one person chooses to do something we don't agree with, as long as it is still legal and doesn't hurt anyone else - let them - that is their right.

We could use any number of examples - smoking, vaping, drinking, extreme sports, watching daytime tv - there are known risks associated with them, but it is up to the individual to make that choice for themselves. If people here don't want to use Lipo batteries because of the potential risks - that's ok! If someone only wants to use Lipos because they offer more performance despite the same highlighted risks - that's ok too! It's not worth having an argument about, all it will achieve is ruining the day for yourselves and potentially others too. Nothing constructive is likely to occur from pressing your opinion.

I know I can get annoyed by comments people make that I don't agree with, but all it really does is put my blood pressure up and make me unpleasant to be around. Not nice for anyone. 

The other thing to say - and it's already be said very eloquently - is that typing really isn't the best medium to explain things, especially when the chosen language isn't the native tongue for all involved. Also, we covey a huge amount from our body language when we talk, so something that might be a throw away comment can be interpreted quite differently in text because you can't see the expression the person is using. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to apologise to people because I meant something in  a joking manner but they took it seriously!

So, can I suggest we all just take a step away from the keyboards, have a deep breath, take a minute to think of something nice, such as penguins sliding in their tummies down a slope, and ask ourselves - how important is it that I win this argument? We are all here because we love RC cars - let's just focus on that, enjoy the fact we are all different as otherwise we would all have a black Hornet, and enjoy the comradery of having a place like this to share our hobby with others?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Again it isnt a case of "we" should do anything, it comes down to an individuals own risk/reward threshold. I "need" to cook food so I risk having a cooker in the house and I "need" a car for some transport so I sometimes risk driving. However, for me personally, when it comes to building RC kits which I dont "need", its something I do for fun, then the fire risk and the need for greater maintenance care crosses my own personal risk/reward threshold. 

Actually it is being risk aware and then managing the risk.

Cooker - can cause fires, so have fire extinguishers, smoke and heat alarm, don't cook when drunk, etc...

Car crashes - wear a seatbelt, drive at suitable speeds, safer car construction, etc...

However one needs to be aware of the risk before one can manage it, be it cooker, vehicle, or lipo. And when I rise awareness about lipo, it is seen as a bad thing to some.

• Like 1

And like I said above - I'm the most expert professional on here, so you should all just shut up and listen to me

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

can I suggest we all just take a step away from the keyboards, have a deep breath, take a minute to think of something nice, such as penguins sliding in their tummies down a slope, and ask ourselves - how important is it that I win this argument? 

I think I'd rather watch some Pingu over reading this monstrosity I've created!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kowalski86 said:

Pingu on a Bad Day 🐧 | Pingu - Official Channel | Cartoons For Kids -  YouTube

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Luckily you didn't say Teletubbies!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I think we should stop getting upset over who runs what battery in their RCs. If you ask me, AAA batteries will always be the best!

I’m not upset about who runs what battery, just tired of hearing about UPS7 and Samsung Note7 from Alvin over and over again. And frankly, maybe you should refrain from starting trivial threads like this one? I see nothing productive out of it. If you want us not to care about what battery others run, then why should we care about their unpopular opinions? 

19 minutes ago, one_hit said:

And frankly, maybe you should refrain from starting trivial threads like this one? I see nothing productive out of it. If you want us not to care about what battery others run, then why should we care about their unpopular opinions? 

I think unpopular opinions, especially opinions that give an alternate view point, can be good food for thought.

I suppose that is another unpopular opinion.

• Like 4