Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

13 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Cheeky ;)

True enough, especially since as an Australian I am still a possession of the Empire.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Busdrivers do it as well. In the old days there used also to be system of hand signals to let each other know where the inspectors were on the route:ph34r:

Back in 2002 my wife bought a new BMW Mini Cooper when it was first released and on the occasion I would take it because it was in front of the garage etc and as I was driving and passing other minis the drivers of said other minis would wave and I would obviously look a bit surprised and half heartedly wave back originally thinking they must know the wife and mistakenly think it’s her:huh: I kid you not this went on for about a year until I asked her “have all your friends got minis?” No it’s what you do when you pass another mini but owners of original minis don’t………strange but each to own:unsure:

7 minutes ago, moffman said:

Back in 2002 my wife bought a new BMW Mini Cooper when it was first released and on the occasion I would take it because it was in front of the garage etc and as I was driving and passing other minis the drivers of said other minis would wave and I would obviously look a bit surprised and half heartedly wave back originally thinking they must know the wife and mistakenly think it’s her:huh: I kid you not this went on for about a year until I asked her “have all your friends got minis?” No it’s what you do when you pass another mini but owners of original minis don’t………strange but each to own:unsure:

With original minis, there was I believe a thing called the "mini wiggle" where you would wiggle the car when you saw another mini coming the other way.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

True enough, especially since as an Australian I am still a possession of the Empire.

Youre just a criminal to me! 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, simalarion said:

No you didn’t!

If I havent paid for an argument, then why are you arguing with me??🤔

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

If I havent paid for an argument, then why are you arguing with me??🤔

I told you once....

9 hours ago, Elbowloh said:

wiggle the car when you saw another mini

My first car was the original Ford Puma and you would always wave or flash other Ford Pumas. Once, purely by chance, I found myself driving in a line of 3 Ford Pumas and got very excited to be in a Puma convoy. A Ford Puma forum I was on even had a "Who have you seen" thread where you could mention seeing other Pumas around.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Triggered by this discussion elsewhere I think I realised what one of mine is

11 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Worse than Tamiya putting an RWD body, onto a FWD chassis? ....🤯

Shudder. All kinds of wrong, of course. 

But 4WD chassis under a RWD shell? My unpopular opinion is - I'm cool with that. Once you consider other aspects of the car (braking, grip, power:weight) I reckon RWD for a TC type car at 1:10 scale is not really more faithful to the 1:1, it's more like taking a super car, removing the front brakes and driving it in the snow. 4WD adds front braking and reduces wild rear axle bonkersness that was way beyond "scale". 

So the shell I have planned for my TT-02SR is about as obviously RWD as they come. 

😘

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

removing the front brakes

I think this had been discussed elsewhere that front brakes can be achieved with one way diff fitted the wrong way around.

22 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

Triggered by this discussion elsewhere I think I realised what one of mine is

Shudder. All kinds of wrong, of course. 

But 4WD chassis under a RWD shell? My unpopular opinion is - I'm cool with that. Once you consider other aspects of the car (braking, grip, power:weight) I reckon RWD for a TC type car at 1:10 scale is not really more faithful to the 1:1, it's more like taking a super car, removing the front brakes and driving it in the snow. 4WD adds front braking and reduces wild rear axle bonkersness that was way beyond "scale". 

So the shell I have planned for my TT-02SR is about as obviously RWD as they come. 

😘

I've been thinking on the whole "RWD body FWD" chassis thing, it always seemed out of character for Tamiya to me. Especially cases like the obviously rear motor/RWD bodies.

BITD Tamiya would create the FF, front motor belt driven chassis, and various M chassis just to have a chassis to match different body shells, guess they figured that we would swap chassis/bodies any how.

Im okay with RWD shells on 4WD chassis, i can always run thicker diff fluid in the back to get it to kick out, or remove the driveshaft.

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

I think this had been discussed elsewhere that front brakes can be achieved with one way diff fitted the wrong way around.

Yeah I think that's a cool idea and I'd be interested to experience how it drives.

I guess if you do the one way thing and keep power down to silver can levels you are getting closer to "scale" in this regard. So not to decry those who do, at all. But then supercar performance scaled down in this way no longer gives supercar exhilaration, where decent brushless can retain a flavour of that. 

I'm not anti RWD. I have a M-08 and I like it. Just I question whether insisting on RWD because of a shell is achieving its aim, if that aim is for driving characteristics to be faithful to the shell, because so much other stuff is affecting its behaviour in related and quite critical ways. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I have a M-08 and I like it.

I have a M-06 and didn't like it much. It feels too much like a DT (or 2WD buggy) driven onroad.

6 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

But 4WD chassis under a RWD shell?

Approve? 

On the project list, (having finished the RS200 on a Schumacher K1 chassis 2s/4.5t) , is a boomerang ,brushless ,RS500...🙄

2020-12-13_10-23-53

The plan is for 3800kv and 4s...

On 3/9/2023 at 8:46 PM, Twinfan said:

Wheel transmitters are utter rubbish

I'm not sure if this is a sign of an impending apocalypse, but we agree on something......🙄😳

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 8:53 PM, BuggyGuy said:

Tamiya missed a trick by not putting a different spin on the rere buggies

Look at what Kyosho did with better support for modern electrics and power and improved parts. Tamiya could have done the same

As far as I'm aware, kyosho farmed out the moulding bitd, so never actually owned the moulds (the other rumour, was the moulds got destroyed in a fire). So when Tamiya (a moulding company), lifted the old moulds off the shelf, and starting making the re re, and started the rere revolution, Kyosho had to act to cash in. Ultimately, making better cars as they had to start with a clean sheet.

• Like 1

My Unpopular opinions-

-MSC's where naff even back in the 80's, any cars that I get that have them, get ripped put.

-The Tamiya (molex) plugs, also fairly useless bitd too, and anything quicker than a sliver can, especially with a decent SCR pack, never mind modern LiHv...

-Plastic bushes, shouldn't be a thing these days (say as above, replaced)

-(one already been said) modern tamiya haven't kept up with tech, other manufacturers are better equipped, better quality and cheaper.

- Nimh vs LiHv has been done to death (none firey death), but I gave away all but 2 of my nimh...

- Even old cars will handle brushless, with some tweeks (but tbh, I'm like Darth Vader in that respect, I feed of the haters, if a Tamiya will blow up into a thousand pieces if you run it on brushless and lipo, I'll find a way, for it to run on brushless and 5s lipo....😏)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

-Plastic bushes, shouldn't be a thing these days (say as above, replaced)

I have a new found dislike for plastic bushings, currently going through an entire CC-01 and replacing each one.

It's annoying enough on something basic like an ORV or a Hornet, whole other level on a 4WD.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I have a new found dislike for plastic bushings, currently going through an entire CC-01 and replacing each one.

It's annoying enough on something basic like an ORV or a Hornet, whole other level on a 4WD.

Did you acquire the CC-01 or did you originally build it?

Its not a unpopular RC Opinion to hate Plastic Bushing, if you on the other hand stated you rather liked them you will be in trouble.

Short story to back this up.

First build getting into this hobby again few years back i started with TGH as that was a obvious start for me for reasons i wont use time on now. Fast Forward i did finish the kit ofc and posted on this very forum, proud of the result, first Comment «Do i see plastic Bushings on the Wheel!, please replace these asap as even a shelf Queen shall Not have Plastic Bushings». After this i never even dare to have plastic bearing in the picture frame posting on the forum ;)

• Haha 6

54 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Did you acquire the CC-01 or did you originally build it?

I brought it used, it would've been easier to build it from a kit with the bearings from the get go vs re-building it.

4 hours ago, simalarion said:

Its not a unpopular RC Opinion to hate Plastic Bushing

How about hating Tamiya for providing bushings?

• Haha 3