Jump to content
Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I think unpopular opinions, especially opinions that give an alternate view point, can be good food for thought.

I suppose that is another unpopular opinion.

How can it be “good food for thought” if it creates tension and division in this forum? Instead of talking about our passion on a positive note, people are reading about how somebody hates how buggies look, how we’re all wrong by saying decals instead of stickers, how people think it’s silly to have shelf queens. In short, people are getting offended by opinions of people that they didn’t have to read. As the saying goes, if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, one_hit said:

In short, people are getting offended by opinions of people that they didn’t have to read.

I apologize if I've offended you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Please can we close this thread. Its going nowhere and helping no one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opinions are like buttholes.

Everyone has one and they all stink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

And yet lithium batteries are banned from being posted.

https://channelx.world/2012/11/royal-mail-bans-postage-of-lithium-batteries/

For a decade now, I cannot order lithium batteries of any kind from Amazon or otherwise.

Eh? Why is that? I have Lipo’s delivered from Amazon and other model shops all the time? Guessing your location despite geing the UK restricts it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Eh? Why is that? I have Lipo’s delivered from Amazon and other model shops all the time?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Eh? Why is that? I have Lipo’s delivered from Amazon and other model shops all the time?

Re Amazon. I am not sure where you are so I will speak about UK (if you are not in the UK, delivery companies may have a more "relax" view on the CAA regulations).

If you get the batteries (batteries alone, so batteries inside devices don't count) delivered to an Amazon Delivery area, then yes, you can get lithium (all kinds) delivered as they are licenced to deliver such dangerous goods. I live in an area that is not covered by them and most of my items come by Royal Mail (larger items may come by someone else but restrictions still apply*) and RM (actually CAA, and I believe it is from an IATA ban) has a strict ban on lithium.

https://channelx.world/2012/11/royal-mail-bans-postage-of-lithium-batteries/

I had NiMH batteries intercepted and sent to be destroyed as it (probably) looks like lipo on the x-ray.

Here is what happens when I try to buy lipo on Amazon (Amazon, not 3rd party sellers).

4KClsaj.jpg

Now, I am not a "lipo hater" as described by some, in fact I have about a dozen lipos but only 2 or 3 NiMHs, but I had to organise some complicated logistics to get them to me, including sending them 700 miles in the wrong direction first, or actually bringing them onto the plane as hand luggage myself (lithium batteries are also banned as check in luggage BTW).

Amazon will be very careful about lithium batteries these days as they had been fined for sending them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37454587

Another thing is, I saw this on another forum so I cannot confirm if it is true or not, Hobbyking used to have a warehouse in NL where they ship lipos out via regular mail, I had some from them. They end up shutting down that warehouse as they got caught too many times sending lipos by regular mail. This, I can confirm as I had received their batteries through regular post. These days you still can get batteries from them, but will have to pay through your nose for DHL (I think) dangerous goods service.

A fellow forum member here works in an IT shop and they have a dangerous goods contract for their lithium deliveries.

Now, my question had always been, if lipos are so safe these days, then why is this ban still in place? Do those who say lipo ls are safe know something that CAA/IATA don't? This question was never answered.

* If you look at the T&C of many delivery companies, they do not allow lithium batteries of any kind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im in Birmingham, never had an issue buying a lipo online, granted not Royal Mail and never more than 2 at once. Not for a second saying youre wrong just presumed UK would all be the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Im in Birmingham, never had an issue buying a lipo online, granted not Royal Mail and never more than 2 at once. Not for a second saying youre wrong just presumed UK would all be the same. 

Then I guess you will be in Amazon Delivery service area then. Do me a favour, go put one in your basket (Amazon not 3rd party) and see who is delivering it.

Since you are in UK, I can be more specific with place names.

X-ray - Inverness airport, before the package goes on the plane. NiMH ended up in NI to be destroyed.

700 miles wrong way - once got some lithium batteries (not just lipo) sent to Portsmouth before my friend drove it up to me in his car.

Also, once had them delivered to Glasgow and taken up by some contractors in their van.

Never directly to my door from Amazon since 2012ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Then I guess you will be in Amazon Delivery service area then. Do me a favour, go put one in your basket (Amazon not 3rd party) and see who is delivering it.

Since you are in UK, I can be more specific with place names.

X-ray - Inverness airport, before the package goes on the plane. NiMH ended up in NI to be destroyed.

700 miles wrong way - once got some lithium batteries (not just lipo) sent to Portsmouth before my friend drove it up to me in his car.

Also, once had them delivered to Glasgow and taken up by some contractors in their van.

Never directly to my door from Amazon since 2012ish.

AMDAEHk.png

 

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kpowell911 guess it will only show who is delivering it after check out. Thanks anyway.

In my case, I cannot even add it to basket until I changed my delivery address.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

@Kpowell911 guess it will only show who is delivering it after check out. Thanks anyway.

In my case, I cannot even add it to basket until I changed my delivery address.

It comes in the Prime van if that means anything? ive even had them delivered same day in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kpowell911 said:

It comes in the Prime van if that means anything?

Yes! It means it is by Amazon Delivery (or they are called Prime Delivery these days?). It is the same when I sent my orders to Glasgow and Portsmouth. Amazon's own delivery service  can carry those batteries but I don't think I had ever seen them using someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to be the one who brought this up, but there is a Brummy in this thread.
Very progressive of this forum to let him in.....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are watching this thread. Please refrain from being a tool and show some respect to your fellow TC members. We are all here for the same reason...sharing recipes! AND, my god, some the back and forth here is so passive aggressive it makes me want to puke. I realize it may be a cultural thing so sorry not sorry for being American. :) 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I'm just reading along and eating popcorn. 

You may want to switch the popcorn to bananas.

 

.....when you throw up from the reading unfortunate turns in the thread, they say bananas taste the same coming up as they did going down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RichieRich said:

I realize it may be a cultural thing so sorry not sorry for being American.

Is that a passive aggressive dig? Heh! Just kidding. :)

I used to ride motorcycles, and there was this weird thing where you were supposed to wave at other riders even though they were complete strangers. Okay, when in Rome and all that.

But it wasn't that simple. Harley riders would only wave at Harley riders. Sports-bike riders would only wave at other sports-bike riders. No one waved at mopeds, Trail riders would....Okay, you get the idea.

The proceedure seems to be to find yourself a niche hobby, and then fragment it further into little, even smaller tribes. Because humans.

 

On 3/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, one_hit said:

if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all. 

Yep, this. All day long. Underated, not always easy, but certainly something to strive for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
10 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

I used to ride motorcycles, and there was this weird thing where you were supposed to wave at other riders even though they were complete strangers. Okay, when in Rome and all that.

I had a bike in my early years and was very surprised when some other bikers waved. I took that to mean I should wave at all others and decided they were grumpy people if they didn't wave back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

Is that a passive aggressive dig? Heh! Just kidding. :)

I used to ride motorcycles, and there was this weird thing where you were supposed to wave at other riders even though they were complete strangers. Okay, when in Rome and all that.

But it wasn't that simple. Harley riders would only wave at Harley riders. Sports-bike riders would only wave at other sports-bike riders. No one waved at mopeds, Trail riders would....Okay, you get the idea.

The proceedure seems to be to find yourself a niche hobby, and then fragment it further into little, even smaller tribes. Because humans.

 

Yep, this. All day long. Underated, not always easy, but certainly something to strive for.

There's a thing about cyclists waving to each other too and, occasionally, on cycling forums there a rant/moan thread started by some who is miffed about other cyclists not waving back anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

I hate to be the one who brought this up, but there is a Brummy in this thread.
Very progressive of this forum to let him in.....

Cheeky ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry OP, I forgot the on-topic bit to my post.

I do, I think, have some unpopular opinions.

So I had an ask-around. I asked my wife, I asked my mother, I asked my sister. And reading between the lines and the varying degrees of diplomacy, None of them give a stuff what I think.

Yep, that's pretty much what I thought.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Elbowloh said:

There's a thing about cyclists waving to each other too and, occasionally, on cycling forums there a rant/moan thread started by some who is miffed about other cyclists not waving back anymore.

Busdrivers do it as well. In the old days there used also to be system of hand signals to let each other know where the inspectors were on the route:ph34r:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

You may want to switch the popcorn to bananas.

 

.....when you throw up from the reading unfortunate turns in the thread, they say bananas taste the same coming up as they did going down.  

I was an Air Force crew chief for 20 years . The pilots I knew confirm , Thai isn’t just an urban legend or wives tale , they really do eat bananas for the reason .

Also the potassium prevents cramping from pulling High G maneuvers.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...