Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

3 minutes ago, Hairyjon313 said:

TT02 ... enough said. Granted its not terrible to drive but it is the most boring and tedious build. And for some reason every shell seems to use it (or the TT01 Type E, which is only slightly better). 

How is the TT02 tedious to build? Looks fairly straight forward from what I've seen. Working on my TT01E was a bit tedious though, Im not used to A arms just pivoting in a hole.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Unpopular opinion? Easy. The Thunder Dragon is amazing looking and the Grasshopper 2 and Super Hornet both look better than their earlier iterations. 

[mic drop] 

Still trying to put a Hornet body on your GH2 chassis though? :lol::P

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I know that the word "decals" are used often in 1:1 scale cars and even buildings.  However where I draw the line (in modelling) is, can modelling decal set solutions work on them? If no, then they are not modelling decals.

EDIT: The distinction between stickers or decals does make a difference in some sector of the modelling hobby. Gundam supply stickers for their basic kits but decals for their high end kits. They even sell decals as hopups for some of their more popular basic kits. Therefore IMHO, these words should not be used  interchangeably in the modelling hobby. But that is just my view.

I have some of my work in the static thread although I had not uploaded for a while.

I've heard fancy stickers referred to as "self-adhesive decals" before :wacko:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Still trying to put a Hornet body on your GH2 chassis though? :lol::P

Marketing innit? Reckon I might get a couple more building Ultra G conversions if I can show it as a Hornet. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

I've heard fancy stickers referred to as "self-adhesive decals" before :wacko:

This is IT! Let's call them self adhesive decals from now on. Everyone will be happy. Now that has to be a popular idea.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

I am not sure what is going with the GH or Hornet type of kits. These are about 40$ in Japan which is fair... Everybody expects and understands that things get more expensive once exported, but these kits do not seem to follow the same percentage as others.

This. The markup outside of the home market is ridiculous. They are almost justified in not supplying decent dampers or bearings when you consider the home market price. But to then mark it up by such a huge margin for the rest of the world... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

Glitched and double-posted...

Edited by rich_f
Double post

4 minutes ago, rich_f said:

This. The markup outside of the home market is ridiculous. They are almost justified in not supplying decent dampers or bearings when you consider the home market price. But to then mark it up by such a huge margin for the rest of the world... 

Shipping the giant boxes used for reres can be expensive, but even then I think they're preying on the collector/nostaligia market.

48 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

My unpopular opinions?  Wheel transmitters are utter rubbish and LiPos are a waste of time, effort and money unless you're a top class racer.

*Gets coat and heads for the door...*

How much do you pay for your nimh packs?My Sunapadow 7100mah 70C 2S pack, only cost $23 while the Sunapadow 4S 6000mah 70C packs that I use on my 1/8 and 1/5 are only $34 each. I can’t even find any nimh packs locally. Because they’re obsolete :lol:

• Like 2

I feel nothing for the old models. The Avante was fascinating in ‘88, but the Optima Mid was better. And I don’t feel anything for that one, either.

I’m here for the TD4, and maybe the BBX. Other than that, I don’t pay much attention.

I have one TT02, which is the last one I’ll own. 

Lipo batteries are a PITA, and affect how frequently I drive my cars. Which is infrequently. They are fun, though.

I have two brushless motors, and it’s probably brushed from here on out. I just like waterproof motors/escs that drive well. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, rich_f said:

In 1991 my buddy and I had Nikko's. His older brother had a Grasshopper, got it probably around 1986. It seemed so "pro level" and out of reach for us :D His brother had left the house to attend university out of town and so we would go to his cupboard and sneak a peek at the Tamiya wonder. Attempting to run it on our own was of course strictly forbidden. I definitely want one some day! Maybe if it ever comes back in stock on PJ. But at 130$ on AMain, I just can't justify it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Tamiya is not perfect as a company nor are their products. Their early efforts in competition were not the best for example. The Astute and Super Astute, (again, only for example), are beautiful and I'm glad we have them but they are not "just as good" as like buggies from Associated or Losi at the time "if they only had the right driver behind the transmitter". There is a reason the vast majority of racers chose other makes. Yes, it was wholly possible to win with them, but if they were the superior product, they would be the norm instead of the exception. The Top Force Evo was a nice buggy in its era (but not the best) and on today's tracks, in competition outside of retro classes, the use of ABS and PC plastics simply won't hold up. Those materials were outdated in racing circles in the early 90's when the car was new. I get that everybody loves the underdog. This extends to other facets like the half-baked Juggernaut 1 that should never had made it to market. This is just a couple examples that came to mind. 

I didn't find your post controversial at all...except maybe the MSC part. Going straight from fwd/rwd is too hard on tires.

I appreciate Tamiyas flawed racing efforts for at least being different, with over styled bodies and including drivers. Much more interesting than the later (if more competitive) TRF buggies.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Now that has to be a popular idea.

But that's not what this post is about!   We're going for unpopular.   Try to keep up!   :D

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pylon80 said:

In 1991 my buddy and I had Nikko's. His older brother had a Grasshopper, got it probably around 1986. It seemed so "pro level" and out of reach for us :D His brother had left the house to attend university out of town and so we would go to his cupboard and sneak a peek at the Tamiya wonder. Attempting to run it on our own was of course strictly forbidden. I definitely want one some day! Maybe if it ever comes back in stock on PJ. But at 130$ on AMain, I just can't justify it.

Buy a Radioshack Black Wolf, the chassis is identical to a Grasshopper, the front suspension is better, and they pop up here and there for only $30. They accept Hornet/Grasshopper wheels too, they're borderline hobby grade...just as the Grasshopper is borderline toy grade.

3 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

....His older brother had a Grasshopper,..... I definitely want one some day! Maybe if it ever comes back in stock on PJ. But at 130$ on AMain, I just can't justify it.

The upcoming "unsatisfying green" Grasshopper is on preorder with Tower for $93.   

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/110-grasshopper-2wd-buggy-kit-candy-green-edition/TAM47348A.html

While I'm not a Grasshopper fan as it's not very scale looking in my opinion, I was thinking of ordering one just due to the price.  And then I reminded myself it's green......  :blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here’s mine. Tamiya are going to be in trouble in the years to come. What they offer “new” these days doesnt resonate well with the “younger” generation, and lets be honest if you were getting into the hobby today, there is absolutely zero reason to buy a Tamiya over an FTX/Arrma/Traxxas. Theyre expensive, slow, and under equipped. Tamiya survive at the moment because the likes of us buy them, mainly for nostalgia. In 20 years is someone going to want to buy a ReReReReRe 12mph Lunchbox with a brushed motor and bushings? Not in my opinion. And the target audience are either going to not be with us, or already have them.

Im 36, going through a bit of a midlife crisis and buying some of my childhood RCs. For Me, thats a TL-01, a Traxxas E Maxx and a HPI Savage. Id be suprised if the generation after me who feel the same desire a Tamiya.

Look at the hugely anticipated upcoming BB01, its going to be £500ish running. Why would you buy that over a 3S Arrma or Traxxas for half the price? The Arrma or Traxxas is potentially half the price, twice as fast and potentially has the positive of being pre built

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

But that's not what this post is about!   We're going for unpopular.   Try to keep up!   :D

You are right. So here goes: I tried to pick a Tamiya M chassis body for 2 years and I could not find a single one that I liked. I wanted the 1:1 subject to be a FWD which restricted my choices. The one that I came closest to buying was the Mk1 GTI but the proportions are so bad and off scale that I just could not bring myself to get one. Oooohh ouch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Buy a Radioshack Black Wolf, the chassis is identical to a Grasshopper, the front suspension is better, and they pop up here and there for only $30. They accept Hornet/Grasshopper wheels too, they're borderline hobby grade...just as the Grasshopper is borderline toy grade.

Hmm, interesti... wait, what, Radioshack?! I just snapped out of it!

1 minute ago, Pylon80 said:

Hmm, interesti... wait, what, Radioshack?! I just snapped out of it!

If you can get around the looks, they're quicker, handle better, and might even be tougher than a Grasshopper.

6 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Here’s mine. Tamiya are going to be in trouble in the years to come. What they offer “new” these days doesnt resonate well with the “younger” generation, and lets be honest if you were getting into the hobby today, there is absolutely zero reason to buy a Tamiya over an FTX/Arrma/Traxxas. 

Most of Tamiyas money comes from models/supply afaik, and sadly most kids find more value in virtual goods than something tangible.

3 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

If you can get around the looks,

I don't think I could :lol:

But anyways the point would be to have the exact same original thing, with the box, manual, parts bags etc and feeling like it is just as it would have been in the 80's had I had found the box under the Christmas tree.

• Like 1

My unpopular rc opinion is I've always said that this is a light hearted hobby and likewise forum and people do tend to take it to seriously nothing is that important and certain contributors need to lighten up! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, one_hit said:

How much do you pay for your nimh packs?My Sunapadow 7100mah 70C 2S pack, only cost $23 while the Sunapadow 4S 6000mah 70C packs that I use on my 1/8 and 1/5 are only $34 each. I can’t even find any nimh packs locally. Because they’re obsolete :lol:

I paid £20 each for my Overlander 5000mAh NiMH stick packs.

It's not a cost thing vs LiPo, it's a can't be bothered with them thing when all I'm doing is bashing cars around the park...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

I paid £20 each for my Overlander 5000mAh NiMH stick packs.

It's not a cost thing vs LiPo, it's a can't be bothered with them thing when all I'm doing is bashing cars around the park...

If it’s not a cost thing then why’d you mention money as one of the reasons lipos aren’t worth it? 

You’re basically paying the same money for an inferior and obsolete technology. And the only reason you’re doing so is because you can’t be bothered to storage charge after each session and store in an ammo can. I don’t get it. 

5 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I can't stand calling those stickers decals. Those who call them decals obviously had never used real decals (in the modelling hobby).

I prefer calling them decals. A sticker is something a 7 year old girl uses to decorate a diary.

• Haha 4