Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

Futaba FX-10 is an unsanctioned copy.  People talk about how Tamiya must have helped Futaba with it's design (they are so close! parts are interchangeable), but in reality Futaba just took a different path from everyone else that was copying Tamiya at the time.  Instead of copying the Hornet/Grasshopper, they took a step up and copied the Striker.   Then they did it with their truck chassis. On the other side, out of all the Hornets/Grasshoppers/Strikers and their copies that are out there, the FX-10 is the only one I want. :)

Stadium Trucks... aren't.  They are at best "truggies".  When they were just coming out in the early 90's, I heard of stadium truck rc before I saw it.  I thought they actually would look like the trucks competing in stadium races, what we call short course trucks now.  They were buggy chassis with big tires sticking way outside of truck bodies: I loved my buggies, and truggies kinda swept in as the 'new big thing' and swept my buggies aside.  I can see these days that they are a good starter RC, as those big wheels soak up a lot of impacts, so they tend to be more durable than other syles, but they aren't Stadium Trucks.

It's "dee-cale" not "deh-call" :D :ph34r:

• Haha 2

I don't mind cutting the decals/stickers as I still cut the edges even if they are pre-cut. I leave minimal clear border and round off the corners to avoid them from peeling off especially when cleaning or wiping the bodies with a towel after washing. Some decal/sticker corners get caught with cloth or towels. Making the corners rounded won't make that happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

idea of jacking up prices to "increase the perceived value" of the brand

Strangely, that seem to work. There are some shops in the UK that carry nothing except Tamiya. It is only through exploring overseas shops that I discovered brands like MST, 3R, etc, and they are often better value than the equivalent Tamiya kits.

• Like 1

I prefer uncut stickers. On large stickers I cut a section of the backing paper in the middle, peel this part and position the sticker before final placement.

Also, when large/medium stickers are pre-cut, you still need to cut around the pre-cut sticker to better control sticker placement as you peel it (you don't want to wrestle the whole sticker sheet).

It would be fantastic if only small stickers would come pre-cut.

• Like 5

I like nimh…. Do own several lipos.. but i just like how i can just use nimh to bash cars in the rain, no need of extra balance plug sticking out etc. NIMh actually performs well with brushless.. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, one_hit said:

If it’s not a cost thing then why’d you mention money as one of the reasons lipos aren’t worth it? 

You’re basically paying the same money for an inferior and obsolete technology. And the only reason you’re doing so is because you can’t be bothered to storage charge after each session and store in an ammo can. I don’t get it. 

For that reason I've just bought two new NiMH batteries. I love the performance of my LiPo batteries but they are more or less useless for spontaneous running of RC cars. If I have an hour of spare time and like to run a car in the backyard and have only Lipo batteries I could keep everything where it is. Too much hassle pre and post running. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sogogi said:

balance plug sticking out

This!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, one_hit said:

If it’s not a cost thing then why’d you mention money as one of the reasons lipos aren’t worth it? 

You’re basically paying the same money for an inferior and obsolete technology. And the only reason you’re doing so is because you can’t be bothered to storage charge after each session and store in an ammo can. I don’t get it. 

I mentioned money because I don't think they're worth buying, not because they're expensive compared to NiMH  ;)

11 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Good thing theres an expensive hop-up to fix something that shouldn't be a problem!

At least the Frog has an expensive hopup to fix something that shouldn't be a problem. The MF-01X on the other hand, has a problem that cannot be fixed by the expensive hopup! 🤬

While I'm here again, I'll also say I think brushless motors are overrated.  They have expensive ESCs which are generally too big to fit in a retro Tamiya chassis, and the extra cable just gets in the way.  Plus there's the extra sensor cable cost and packaging problem.  If you're a racer with a modern style chassis it's a different matter entirely.

Thinking about it, it appears my unpopular opinions relate to the insistance that the stuff the racers use (wheel transmitters, LiPos and brushless motors) should be used by everyone else.  I totally disagree  :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

OK, try this one on for size : I don't like building new kits from scratch. I think once I decide I want an rc I am impatient to run it, and building properly from scratch, especially when it includes painting a shell, is just a drag. I LOVE tinkering with them, pulling them apart a bit, modifying, tuning, understanding, but not building. Realised that most of my favourite cars have come to me used and already built, but I have mucked about with extensively. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

While I'm here again, I'll also say I think brushless motors are overrated.  They have expensive ESCs which are generally too big to fit in a retro Tamiya chassis, and the extra cable just gets in the way.  Plus there's the extra sensor cable cost and packaging problem.  If you're a racer with a modern style chassis it's a different matter entirely.

Thinking about it, it appears my unpopular opinions relate to the insistance that the stuff the racers use (wheel transmitters, LiPos and brushless motors) should be used by everyone else.  I totally disagree  :D

Agreed. When I got back into rc a few years ago I went straight to brushless because it was novel, but after having to use brushed motors to race on road vintage classes, I don't see the point either. A 1060 and even a fairly spendy brushed motor costs less than a decent brushless esc. I like lipos, but brushed is just fine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

All of your opinions are completely valid and understandable if we are talking in a Tamiya/Vintage Bubble. 

In the real world of RC, theres not really any point of NIMH/brushed set ups in RC. They dont really need to exist, theyre obsolete.  Lipo “care” is over blown, just check voltages and store them safely, and brushed set ups are higher maintainence and incredibly inefficiant. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kpowell911 said:

All of your opinions are completely valid and understandable if we are talking in a Tamiya/Vintage Bubble. 

In the real world of RC, theres not really any point of NIMH/brushed set ups in RC. They dont really need to exist, theyre obsolete.  Lipo “care” is over blown, just check voltages and store them safely, and brushed set ups are higher maintainence and incredibly inefficiant. 

See, there you go.  Telling me my opinion is valid but then not accepting it and telling me I'm wrong.  How is modern Tamiya re-re enjoyment not the RC real world?

That's the issue I have.

• Like 4

Just now, Twinfan said:

See, there you go.  Telling me my opinion is valid but then not accepting it and telling me I'm wrong.  How is modern Tamiya re-re enjoyment not the RC real world?

That's the issue I have.

Because 95% Tamiya’s are far from modern?

Come on, you cant post in a “unpopular opinion” thread then moan when there is discussion about it?

• Haha 1

I'm not moaning, I'm just saying you're not accepting my viewpoint.  Which is the issue I have.

You didn't say "modern", you said "real world".  I'm saying I'm in the "real world" enjoying a brand new, modern as in recently produced, re-re kit  :D

1 minute ago, Twinfan said:

I'm not moaning, I'm just saying you're not accepting my viewpoint.  Which is the issue I have.

You didn't say "modern", you said "real world".

Surely the point of the thread isnt to accept everyones viewpoint? Hence unpopular?

As long as youre enjoying the hobby thats all that matters :)

• Like 1

Indeed, but it gets very tireseome when people tell you you're wrong at every available opportunity.  There's no right or wrong in my opinion, just different.  More people should respect this and not try and preach to others  :)

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Twinfan said:

Indeed, but it gets very tireseome when people tell you you're wrong at every available opportunity.  There's no right or wrong in my opinion, just different.  More people should respect this and not try and preach to others  :)

Well my intention wasnt in any way meant to be disrespectful, more of a discussion piece :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aerobert said:

For that reason I've just bought two new NiMH batteries. I love the performance of my LiPo batteries but they are more or less useless for spontaneous running of RC cars. If I have an hour of spare time and like to run a car in the backyard and have only Lipo batteries I could keep everything where it is. Too much hassle pre and post running. 

If you have a lipo alarm hooked up, you can actually monitor voltage as you go about. Then when it drops to around 7.6 volts, you can stop and change batteries, and the one you removed is already at the proper voltage ready to be stored. Eazy peazy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, one_hit said:

If you have a lipo alarm hooked up, you can actually monitor voltage as you go about. Then when it drops to around 7.6 volts, you can stop and change batteries, and the one you removed is already at the proper voltage ready to be stored. Eazy peazy. 

If you have only an hour inbetween time to run an RC you can do that with a Nimh (stored fully charged) but you can't with a Lipo because you need almost an hour to get it fully charged on 1C as you don't store Lipo's fully charged. So with Lipo the hour inbetween time is gone before you can take your car out running... 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

If you have only an hour inbetween time to run an RC you can do that with a Nimh (stored fully charged) but you can't with a Lipo because you need almost an hour to get it fully charged on 1C as you don't store Lipo's fully charged. So with Lipo the hour inbetween time is gone before you can take your car out running... 

Okay so lipo naysayers find it a hassle to storage charge their lipos, but they charge their nimhs to full anyway before storing? 

I just charge my lipos the night before I plan to bash or go to the track. You know, at the same time I am packing and preparing my stuff. Only one hour of free time to play? Then charge your battery while you are eating your lunch or in the toilet taking a dump. You make it sound like charging is such a chore that takes up a lot of time and effort. It does not. You do know that you can do other things while you are charging right?

• Like 1