Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

26 minutes ago, one_hit said:

Okay so lipo naysayers find it a hassle to storage charge their lipos, but they charge their nimhs to full anyway before storing? 

I just charge my lipos the night before I plan to bash or go to the track. You know, at the same time I am packing and preparing my stuff. Only one hour of free time to play? Then charge your battery while you are eating your lunch or in the toilet taking a dump. You make it sound like charging is such a chore that takes up a lot of time and effort. It does not. You do know that you can do other things while you are charging right?

Not sure about the OP, but sometimes I had not planned to run the car, but I literally have a few mins spare, the wife and kids are out and think "I'll just go out on the drive or on the green over the road and have a bash". 

• Like 3

The TD4 is the best looking buggy Tamiya ever made

:P jokes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Elbowloh

I only run NiMH, if I raced competitively I'd have a few 2S LiPOs but I have no problem being an "obsolete man" when it comes to RCs.

Curious if anyone will get the reference.

• Like 2

Ok, it seems his channel is quite popular, I have no qualms about the content, but I find the bloke from RCKicks really annoying.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

Just now, Elbowloh said:

Ok, it seems his channel is quite popular, I have no qualms about the content, but I find the bloke from RCKicks really annoying.

"Haiiiii!!!! This is RCkicks! Here to talk about another amazing box from Tamiya for 12 minutes! Hit the bell and do the thing!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

This!

I use a rubber band and tuck it out of the way (if the battery sticks out of the chassis).

Just now, Frog Jumper said:

I use a rubber band and tuck it out of the way (if the battery sticks out of the chassis).

I tried that and it didn't work. The rubber band got torn up pretty quickly causing the plug to dangle and I actually damaged one of them plugs. Perhaps they are too short to tuck out of the way?

What I am doing now is use self adhesive heavy duty velcro and stick it to the side of the chassis. Seems to work through snow and mud so far.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, alvinlwh said:

I tried that and it didn't work. The rubber band got torn up pretty quickly causing the plug to dangle and I actually damaged one of them plugs. Perhaps they are too short to tuck out of the way?

What I am doing now is use self adhesive heavy duty velcro and stick it to the side of the chassis. Seems to work through snow and mud so far.

I haven’t had a problem yet but I can see how the band would get caught and rip.  Fingers crossed!

Here I go:

Buying Hop-Ups for the TT-02 is a waste of money and I doubt the common sense of people doing so.

(My own thinking pre 2018).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, wtcc5 said:

Here I go:

Buying Hop-Ups for the TT-02 is a waste of money and I doubt the common sense of people doing so.

(My own thinking pre 2018).

I have no common sense and the TT02 is tempting to me precisely bc of the myriad of hop-ups…

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

"Haiiiii!!!! This is RCkicks! Here to talk about another amazing box from Tamiya for 12 minutes! Hit the bell and do the thing!"

To be fair, I joined this forum years ago. I recently subscribed to RC Kicks and Tamiya Legends(I was watching Kevin Talbot, Tomley and Mark Saint Maria) and thats why Im back again. Do with that information what you will ha

• Like 1

On the subject of lipo bashing...

I hate it when the fanboys keep saying how safe they are as long as X, Y, Z are done or not done while completely ignoring the facts of UPS6, Samsung Note 7 and various B787

*Take cover now*

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Frog Jumper said:

I have no common sense and the TT02 is tempting to me precisely bc of the myriad of hop-ups…

Plaza Japan plus the upcoming TTO2R is so enticing :/

3 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I have no common sense

This sums it up for any TT-02 buyers.

*Take cover*

• Haha 5

Just now, alvinlwh said:

I hate it when the fanboys keep saying how safe they are as long as X, Y, Z are done or not done while completely ignoring the facts of UPS6, Samsung Note 7 and various B787

*Take cover now*

The flipside to this is 90% of us are probably posting on here via technology powered by a Lipo

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Kpowell911 said:

The flipside to this is 90% of us are probably posting on here via technology powered by a Lipo

Absolutely true, but with any new phones, I keep a close eye on them for the first 10 or so charges. Same for questionable lipos; I was once given some very old but BNIP 3S from a friend, I charged them, 20% at a time, at 0.25C, using a portable charger powered off an usb powerbank, outdoors.

Generally (I might be wrong here), lithium batteries, if proven to work properly (if used correctly) for at least a few times, should be safe. The danger of them are coming out of the factory faulty and there are no ways us can know about it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

*Take cover now*

For me, if the people behind Losi manage to burn up a LiPO battery, then they are dangerous. Of course there are low quality batteries and chargers out there.

9 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

If you get one for the hop-ups, start out with the TT-02R or one of the variants that comes with a good handful.

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

Not sure about the OP, but sometimes I had not planned to run the car, but I literally have a few mins spare, the wife and kids are out and think "I'll just go out on the drive or on the green over the road and have a bash". 

Okay I get it. I actually have a battery for those spur of the moment scenarios. 2S 3700mah LiFe. Bought in Feb 2015, always stored fully charged ready to go. Still going strong 8 years after. 

75CE7326-76C6-41B7-B040-FF92264C39C1.thumb.jpeg.d1928d21d5c9b959b3494acb4e74002f.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

*Take cover now*

We are not “fanboys”. We’re just regular folks who know how to adapt to current, modern technology. If anything, the lipo naysayers are the fanboys because they are always the ones bringing up their hate of lipo. Like how the lipo topic got started in this thread. Started by somebody who hasn’t even tried lipo but thinks it’s useless. 

You keep bringing up UPS6, Samsung Note 7 and whatnot as examples of why none of us should use lipo. Yes lithium fires can happen, and you know what also happens? Car accidents. So should we all not ride cars or motorcycles anymore? Did you know that the number one cause of house fires is cooking? So should we not cook at home anymore?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, one_hit said:

We are not “fanboys”. We’re just regular folks who know how to adapt to current, modern technology. If anything, the lipo naysayers are the fanboys because they are always the ones bringing up their hate of lipo. Like how the lipo topic got started in this thread. Started by somebody who hasn’t even tried lipo but thinks it’s useless. 

You keep bringing up UPS6, Samsung Note 7 and whatnot as examples of why none of us should use lipo. Yes lithium fires can happen, and you know what also happens? Car accidents. So should we all not ride cars or motorcycles anymore? Did you know that the number one cause of house fires is cooking? So should we not cook at home anymore?

I never said not to use lipo, in fact I am just about to head out for a drive with a 3S. I am saying fanboys kept saying they are safe while dismissing the risks, when they clearly are not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I never said not to use lipo, in fact I am just about to head out for a drive with a 3S. I am saying fanboys kept saying they are safe while dismissing the risks, when they clearly are not.

Yes it’s wrong to state that there are no risks. There will always be risks, that’s why we charge and store them correctly in case something bad happens, as well as to prevent it from happening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtcc5 said:

Here I go:

Tamiya was absolutely brilliant with the TT-02.  You buy the base vehicle, mod it up, then "well I almost have all the parts to build another, so..."  and you build another, mod it months later, and have a lot of left over parts to build another, so...

At some point it becomes "well, this will only be a shelf queen, so it doesn't need mods.  Then, several builds later, it becomes "no really, no mods on this shelf queen/basher I am building for my kid who isn't actually interetested..."

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, one_hit said:

Like how the lipo topic got started in this thread. Started by somebody who hasn’t even tried lipo but thinks it’s useless.

Well this is not a random thread, and I brought it up because it's clearly an unpopular opinion ;)

And why would I try LiPo after researching them and deciding they're not for me?

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, one_hit said:

Yes it’s wrong to state that there are no risks. There will always be risks, that’s why we charge and store them correctly in case something bad happens, as well as to prevent it from happening. 

Yes, it is those fanboys that I am talking about, not you personally.

(Although you are free to take it personally in the sprit of this thread)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1