Kowalski86

Your Unpopular RC opinions

I've hinted at this several times, but I never cared for Tamiyas (or most other companies) "limited edition" junk. Making a truly unique RC isn't hard!

But then again I don't have any nostaligia for the re-res, I just look at what looks neat and has spares available.

• Like 2

Limited release "stuff" is a huge part of modern marketing across many industries and is unfortunately here to stay.  It seems to feed a heck of a lot of YouTube and Instagram content!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danimaldaisy said:

....canceled my backorder of my trf211xm.  It was going to be 670.00 shipped.  I was so annoyed I bought a Losi 22 5.0 dc roller....... I also picked up a Team associated Rc8b3.2 ....

Big mistake.  Those other two chassis don't come with blue bits.   Blue bits by default make it go faster!   :)

• Haha 1

As one who who strongly dislikes cutting and painting bodyshells, I find myself drawn to the limited edition stuff because it often comes with a pre-cut and nicely painted bodyshell. 😁

That said, my limited edition 6 wheeled Tyrrell needed the bodyshell cutting and painting by yours truly, which was not a fun task, but it was made up for by the nice shiny performance bits that came in the kit, which would have cost significantly more had they been purchased separately - another argument in favour of some limited edition kits - at least the ones that that are more than just a differently coloured version of the standard one.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:25 PM, Kpowell911 said:

I thought of another one…. This is gonna really ruffle feathers. I dont like when people put a driver in their car. This is mainly aimed at the people putting ‘action man’ in a TRX4 etc, but it resonates here, as a fair few Tamiya’s come with a figure/head. It just looks extremely toy like to me. Just makes a £500 RC look like a cheap Argos toy. ‘They’re’ not driving  anything, I am.

And as for the ‘scale’ argument, leave your Ken Doll at home and black the windows if it you..

I anticipate disgust in my replies. 

I'm personally not into action figures, but I will continue to include Willy and Billy in my Tamiya cars where appropriate, Paul and Collin will work along side Willy in their shops.  Kyosho's drivers will be installed on their buggies.  

Driverless cars in motion look odd to me so for those cars I tint the windows dark.

Hey here's Wendy. 

IMG_2022-11-12-085547.thumb.jpg.0167e45f9d4a159ae87b6d830349864f.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I've hinted at this several times, but I never cared for Tamiyas (or most other companies) "limited edition" junk. Making a truly unique RC isn't hard!

But then again I don't have any nostaligia for the re-res, I just look at what looks neat and has spares available.

I think it's time you go on our ignore list.  :lol:   

14 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Uncut body posts, left as kit stock instead of cut to the right size, make me cringe. :ph34r:

Yep, me too. But not as much as the thought that more and more people look at their uncut body posts and think: "quick, let's CAD and print shorter ones!"

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, OnTheTrail said:

Big mistake.  Those other two chassis don't come with blue bits.   Blue bits by default make it go faster!   :)

Team associated does :)

41 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Yep, me too. But not as much as the thought that more and more people look at their uncut body posts and think: "quick, let's CAD and print shorter ones!"

Oh. Hangs head in shame. 

Although, to be fair, I only printed because I wanted the holes round the other way... 😘

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BuggyDad said:

I only printed because I wanted the holes round the other way... 😘

That is a relief!

40 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

That is a relief!

(And also because I wanted to have a first go at modelling something for a 3d print)

Anyway, you'll be delighted to hear that one of my 3d printed body posts snapped before I even ran the car, so the kit ones went straight back in. 😁

Perhaps less delighted that rather than then neatly cut them to size I just roughly chopped them off about 6 holes up, just so the car fits in its box. My bodies might not last so I've yet to trim posts just right, in case the next one needs more...

• Sad 1

OK, I've dug my virtual foxhole so here's mine

I never liked the Sand Scorcher or the Ford Ranger. I've just never had an affinity for anything with a beetle shell, and the Ford Ranger seems pointless without a 4wd drive train. But on the positive I do like the rough rider, just never enough to actually buy one.

It's sometimes a bit annoying listening to opinions about RTR vehicles, and 'What's the point if you don't build it yourself' etc. My first RC was effectively a RTR, a Sand Rover my Dad built for me. That got me into the hobby and now years later I have built several scratch built models from scrap metal ranging from a tank with scale thickness armour, a 4x4x4 lunch box with leaf springs and solid axles, a 4x4 'County' style tractor, a forestry Skidder with power steering powered by a 540 motor (That's just the steering, the main drivetrain has a massive low KV brushless), a half track, a 6x6 with a 3 speed gearbox and walking beams, and lastly a War Rig. I got to the point that I can do this because I started off with what was effectively an RTR Tamiya. I've got Tamiya to thank for that. I'm sure kit builders wouldn't like it if I voiced the opinion of 'But you've just assembled that from a load of pre-made parts. You've not actually made anything, you've just assembled it, come back when you've actually manufactured at least half of it yourself'. You never know when that 6 year with an RTR might be inspired to go on to start his own RC manufacturing company later in life. Wouldn't it be ironic if Elon Musk's first electric car had been a Nikko RTR........ 

Disclaimer: The above gripe is made tongue in cheek. I genuinely don't want to put anyone's back up, just trying to point out that  there's usually a different perspective the conversation can be looked at from, and I'm certainly not trying to say I'm a better model builder / assembler just because I make scratch built vehicles. I've seen cars on here built and finished to a standard that I couldn't achieve. Yes, I'm ok at building drive trains, but my painting of bodyshells sucks.  If a professional engineer took any of my builds apart and scrutinised them, there would a lot of comments along the lines of 'You call this manufacturing, most of your tolerances are only within +-0.04mm, there's plenty that are out by +-0.1mm, and don't get me started on the number of holes drilled in the wrong place or the lines that should be parallel but aren't.'

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Twinfan said:

Limited release "stuff" is a huge part of modern marketing across many industries and is unfortunately here to stay.  It seems to feed a heck of a lot of YouTube and Instagram content!

Thats a whole other topic that I could get into, but to keep myself short you're right.

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

As one who who strongly dislikes cutting and painting bodyshells, I find myself drawn to the limited edition stuff because it often comes with a pre-cut and nicely painted bodyshell. 😁

Thats sound reasoning, do you still need to apply 100 tiny stickers?

41 minutes ago, MadInventor said:

I never liked the Sand Scorcher....

Blaspheme!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I'll go along with some of this. I like drivers in buggies, but except for the Wild Willy (1/2), XR311, Cheetah and the FAV (I'm get iffy on the Sand Rover for some reason), I'm not into full body dolls in RC cars either. It's like a little corpse being hauled around or something.

I also do not care for special color editions too much either, especially when they go back to the classics. I don't need a DC comics Lantern Corp of colors for my Lunch Boxes or a mysterious black version of the Monster Beetles. I know its a tradition going back to the 934. It great some people like them, but they aren't for me. All I think is "frosted Lucky Tamiyas, their magically redundant!"

Put me in your ignore list and you will never have to see any of my posts ever again!  And let me tell you, I will not care.  :D

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Put me in your ignore list and you will never have to see any of my posts ever again!  And let me tell you, I will not care.  :D

I don't think I was being clear. I do like Wild Willy, XR311, Cheetah and FAV drivers very much, Your pics and collection is awesome @Willy iine, Sorry, my attempt at humor might have been in bad taste.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I don't think I was being clear. I do like Wild Willy, XR311, Cheetah and FAV drivers very much, Your pics and collection is awesome @Willy iine, Sorry, my attempt at humor might have been in bad taste.

Oh, my bad.  I must have read it wrong.  I was like man you are blunt.   I like honesty, but wow!  :lol:  Even so, I will continue to do what I do.. I am enjoying this hobby and hope I can spark interest for others to join. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

Blaspheme!

Did @MadInventor actually say he didn't like the sand scorcher and then followed up by the Ford ranger? OMG does tamiya know about this?......that deserves a triple emoji :o:o:o we need to book an enquiry! 

I've never witnessed such language!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Oh, my bad.  I must have read it wrong.  I was like man you are blunt.   I like honesty, but wow!  :lol:

Yeah, I was saying I like drivers heads and torsos in buggies. I also like the full body drivers in Wild Willys, XR311, Cheetahs and FAVs etc. but I don't really care for the full body drivers/dolls added to other vehicles. If other people like those things, that's cool, I wasn't tying to be a hater. It was just an unpopular RC opinion I have. I think I will rectify some other post now. Sorry for any confusion I caused. God, I have made a horrible mess of things again.

Edit: I just want to extend a personal apology to @Willy iine for any miscommunication on my part they may have led to the belief I was making a disparaging remark about certain models (which he has many beautiful examples of in his hobby room). I'm also sorry if my other opinions caused any ill-feelings among other forum members who did not speak out. Some were made in jest, but my sense of humor is poor at times which may be taken as insulting. I have removed them to reduce to chance of any further conflict. I don't want to be the cause of any issues on this great Tamiyaclub forum. Hopefully this will close the matter. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I've just never had an affinity for anything with a beetle shell

Hear hear! If they released something else on that GF-01TR, I would have pressed buy already. It is the Beetle shell that held me back.

8 hours ago, Willy iine said:

Oh, my bad.  I must have read it wrong.  I was like man you are blunt.   I like honesty, but wow!  :lol:  Even so, I will continue to do what I do.. I am enjoying this hobby and hope I can spark interest for others to join. 

Then again why is it not Ok to like completely different things. Even if much is not exactly my cup off Tea i have no problem at all enjoying exelenr craftmanship and original ideas.

when i come to think about it my unpopular RC Opinion is that to many think that their oppinion/taste is the only correct one, because is this not what makes this Forum really great, that so many goes their own way, heck recently a user on this forum got me hooked on Crawler after reading a lot off his posts, now im watching CC-02 and CC—02 kits, actually Tamico has a great offer as we «speak» :)

Edit: It was @Mad Ax by the way :)

edit2: Point is i Love both Mad Ax Work And Willy even it their work is completely different. I always thought Wild willy was very Cool but thanks to this forum im now also into crawlers :). Again even if this thread point out our diferences that is also exactly what we should embrace. 

@Willy iine 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Then again why is it not Ok to like completely different things. Even if much is not exactly my cup off Tea i have no problem at all enjoying exelenr craftmanship and original ideas.

when i come to think about it my unpopular RC Opinion is that to many think that their oppinion/taste is the only correct one, because is this not what makes this Forum really great, that so many goes their own way, heck recently a user on this forum got me hooked on Crawler after reading a lot off his posts, now im watching CC-02 and CC—02 kits, actually Tamico has a great offer as we «speak» :)

I am not saying it is not okay, I am just saying (in this case) my entire pretend RC shop theme is centered around Willy.  If you don't like Willy, then you have no business seeing my posts or comment on them because it will only bring negative energy.  I am definitely not going to change my ways just to cater to a few sour apples in the internet.  Just simply ignore me or I ignore them and we co-exist with no issue, you included.  

• Like 1

Perhaps at this point it is worth taking a moment to remind ourselves that as the opening thread asked, these are just opinions. Everyone can have their own opinions and tastes and I doubt anyone posting to this thread meant anything against anyone else personally. If everyone's tastes were the same things would be a bit boring and its thanks to so many people getting enjoyment from so many different things on this forum that we (especially me) are constantly learning and finding new things we didnt realise we would enjoy. Live and let live

• Like 3

I was not «speaking» directly to you  @Willy iine - and it seems you did not get my post as you are describing the exact oposite off what my point is. I have no clue how you got to that conclusion or why you felt this was a reply to criticize you, it was not. I quoted you to speak with you not against you or what you do.

fyi- need to hit bed now