Sogogi

What’s your rule on purchasing a new kit?

14 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

The big 3 are?

Bearings, oil shocks and?

Steel pinion.

Of course, there are some kits (Lunchbox, Hornet, etc) where only bearings matter.

• Like 2

I get such bad buyers remorse/guilt that I don't bother and I live vicariously through you guys :P That's why I only have 3 cars. 

I do really really want that new mk2 Golf so may treat myself but it'll be tough lol

• Like 5

1. Convince Wife its a good idea

2… well, I have only that rule, but its a very hard one!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I think the main rule for me is:

Have I played with, or got good value out of the last kit I bought?

It's all to easy to get excited about the next project before the paints even dry on the current one. I'm just finishing off a Jeep and I'm already thinking about something new, which just makes no sense really. 

I am trying to stick to a couple a year max, so I will wait till at least June before picking something up, otherwise I just end up with an ever growing collection. 10 Rc cars is way more than I'd ever need, but I don't really like the idea of selling either as they all represent time and money and cool ideas which I wouldn't get back.

Sometimes I think I'd be a lot happier with a collection of 5 or so, but I couldn't decide which, and I know I'd just buy more anyhow.

• Like 2

When is payday and when is that credit card due.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've been on a new-car-spending-spree the last two years and now am putting my foot down in on my spending. Besides a porche 934 and the new BBX, I'm done for a long long time.

I guess my rules are, can I afford it and really I have collected all of the cars that as a child back in the 80's I drooled over but could not afford. I have them all now minus an RC10 gold pan, but keeping an eye out for a good one to clean up and display/run.

I'm also getting off the "rare and limited edition" wagon...I have a few of those that are nice to look at, but now I'm going towards the "run them or go home" wagon.  

From now on I'm thinking it through a lot more before I press purchase. It would have to be a very very very cool car for me to consider it. And no, not another Avante with a new body color or clod buster with different stickers. 

I already canceled my Kyosho javelin backorder and resisted a green grasshopper.

1# Is it fun to build/run and/or does it look good really on the shelf 

#2 Will spare parts be an issue in the future if i'm making it a basher. 

#3 Is it under $800

5 hours ago, simalarion said:

1. Convince Wife its a good idea

2… well, I have only that rule, but its a very hard one!

Bear the weight of that responsibility and take it on fully!  You can decide if it's a good choice or not.:) 

• Haha 2

I don't have any new in box kits, and I won't have shelf queens that just sit gathering dust and getting more brittle by the day so, I now have just one rule:

1) Will I drive it frequently?

Spares and hop ups availability is also taken into consideration.

I've recently gone from 15 vehicles down to 6 with two on pre-order.

• Like 3

My rules are:

1) will my parents notice? (Yeah I know, I’m only 16 :rolleyes:)

2) if parents DO notice, will they have a positive reaction, or tell me I’m wasting my money on something I already have?

3) is it an interesting kit to build? Is it something unique to my collection? (no repeat chassis’s)

4) are spare parts readily available?

5) will it suit my needs? Will it perform well on the surface I intend to run it on?

and last but finally not least,

6) will I enjoy driving it for many years to come?

The last one is very difficult for me. Some cars become boring once the novelty of the chassis wears off. The majority of my builds end up this way for some reason. Usually the ones I keep have some sort of… uniqueness, some sort of charisma or character that none of my other cars have.

that’s why I only have six cars at present, one of which I’m attempting to get off of my hands because I don’t find enjoyment in running it any longer.

just my two cents.

• Like 1

I’ve distilled it down to:

1. Assembly kit. RTR, GTFO!

2. Under $300, whether through MAP, sale, or coupon.

3. Reinforced plastics.

4. Bearings in kit.

The TD4 hit all four with Tower’s coupon, but I probably won’t get another one.

The BBX or the Dirtmaster will likely qualify, depending on which one I like.

The LC EMB1 qualified, but proved too fragile.

ABS plastics disqualifies the Sand Viper (parts discontinued doesn’t help).

Most Kyosho Legends are over my dollar limit, and parts seem spotty.

Most rally cars are over the dollar limit, and the ones that aren’t? RTR. Meh.

• Like 1

when im looking at buying a rc kit, i think of things as this:

- has to be different from what i already have. as variations of chassis layout, brand etc. 

- purpose for use after being built, also has be something i can see myself drive. 

- parts availability. can i get spare parts and upgrade parts later.

- if i got a place where i can drive it.

- the quality of the kit.

I'm starting to put together a "hit list" of models I have always wanted, and once that's in place, I doubt I'll ever buy anything that's not on that list.

For one, it's going to be an expensive list, and it will take me some years to complete. Some items on that list have been out of production for decades, and won't be easy or cheap to procure. And I'd much rather have them than some random alphabet-soup-chassis plastic thing.

For another, I'm running out of space, and I hate selling things. I'd rather stash something away in a corner than deal with the hassle of selling it, and I'm running out of corners. Time to start being selective.

And yes, when the hit list is complete, I'll post it here for the curious.

Space space space and more space. It’s a small old house without a garage and I’ve already taken over one end of the kitchen. Money doesn’t factor as much at the moment. I fell out of love with collecting video games a couple of years back and money raised from slowly selling those funds my RCs. I try not to generate a backlog of kits and am determined to keep only what I enjoy running. We’ll see how it goes. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 11:39 PM, Sogogi said:

After reading a comment here 

about 1in, 1 out rule, It made me think I need to have some sort of rules since I have acquired 12kits in 5months…

I am thinking probably 1 kit per chassis type would be a good start.

What’s your rule if there are any?

I am often surprised at how many kits TC members buy. This has to be very personal with some people buying a kit 'for the shelf' plus more of the same 'just to have it NIB', usually gathering some sort of a collection. Meanwhile others thoroughly drive their cars and would seem to resale cars before buying new ones. There are probably as many ways as there are modelers.

Ok, now that the mild mannered stuff is out of the way, I just wanted to offer some advice if I may. Rules sound boring, limiting, frustrating things that you want to abide by in the workplace but less so within the confines of your tinker RC shop. Well things may not be that simple. I personally believe that in any hobby, we can achieve more and feel more fulfilled when we set goals and follow rules. The brain wants things and that makes us buy cars but it is interesting to stop and reflect on what we are really after. Do we like the idea of such or such new project? Or will we really enjoy it (whether that means looking at it on the shelf or driving it)? The brain likes to get excited about new ideas. It can also get almost depressed when unfinished project accumulate, at least for some people. The RC burnout is real, to the point that AMain made a video about it to presumably warn its customer base about the risks of the RC burnout - losing people in the hobby means losing business.

Some people on TC have mentioned using a simple rule: always finish the current project before taking up the next. I am really impressed by that. This inspires me a lot more than gathering unfinished project or worse, ones that are not even started.

I am happy to admit that I made the mistake of buying certain cars without having a plan, multiple times. A lot of time and money poorly spent later, the current fleet counts exactly 5 cars. One will be for sale shortly. I no longer see the point of 'one of each chassis type' unless you are trying to build some sort of Tamiya Museum in your home :D Rather I like the idea of having cars that fit the running surface that makes it easier to enjoy them - just to be able to enjoy them more often. Some need a cleaner surface to drive on, others a larger area to drive on and finally some are happy on virtually any area.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

I am often surprised at how many kits TC members buy. This has to be very personal with some people buying a kit 'for the shelf' plus more of the same 'just to have it NIB',

Yes there is a member who buy three, one to run, one to display on the shelf and one to keep in box. 

For Tamiya kits….

1. If it’s a Porsche, I buy it, period.

2. If it’s an M Chassis, I seriously consider it

3. if it’s  re-release, I seriously consider it, especially if it has a cool touring body

For other brands, really into realistic, scale looking kits, crawlers and drag cars, especially anything Vintage American. Some of the other manufacturers like Traxxas and Kyosho, even Redcat make bodies rivaling Tamiya quality. The Kyosho Fazer series includes the Camaro, Chevelle, GTO, El Camino, Bel Air even a cool looking old Skyline and 240Z. The HPI Trans Am series are also high on my list.

1. Two each of an entry level chassis. One for each kid, also one to hop up for fun and one to keep vanilla because they drive better, and also for spares and because I really love the "Tamiya parts bin" flexibility and ingenuity.

2. A variety for different surface and weather conditions, and different space constraints. The park, the track, the beach-but-salt-is-scary. Aiming for fun and readiness. My current theory is a smallish SU-01 or a M-07/8 with a high torque/low speed motor, a fast servo and good tires would be the best + most fun racing by post surrounded by the hard sharp corners of my house is like to keep intact. If only the MF-01x was really a baby XV-01.

3. Nostalgia within practical limits. I only learned about the Super Fighter GR this year which I'm convinced is a spiritual successor to the Sonic Fighter.

4. Set a budget for anything you love or need then force yourself to spend it. Both a minimum (to keep you active) and a maximum (to keep you fed). You don't have to spend it on stuff! Experiences cost money, too 

• Like 1

I have only one guideline when it comes to considering a new Tamiya project, be it a new kit or a restoration/restomod of a 2nd hand one, and that is that it should give me some sort of new and interesting experience that I have not already had.

This might mean a different chassis to to those which I already have in my fleet, or it might mean exactly the same base model that I take a different direction with when modifying. For example, I have three TT-01s, set up for track, rally and drift.

Cost doesn't really come into it, as I have a £50 hobby budget per month, which I either can save or spend. Most of my projects take 3 or 4 months worth of budget. If I want a more expensive model, I just need to wait longer to save up for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tekjunke said:

I had no idea that we were supposed to have rules...

Oh my goodness, yes.   You have to have rules.   You don't have to follow them, but ya gotta have'em.....  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rules

1 : Have the money allocated for it, no allocation switching

2. Make sure the kit is new manufactured, no more than 5 year

3. The kit price doesnt exceed $400, no matter how much you want it (this is not include electronics and hopups)

4. Only 1 kit per year

5. Need to have good spare part availability in local market, no overseas shipment things.

I guess thats it XD

Main questions I try to find the answers to before purchasing a new kit:

1. Does it have any major weaknesses that would stop it being raced competively 

2. If the answer to 1 is yes: can those problems be solved with hopups (Tamiya or aftermarket), and what would it cost

3. Are parts available if something does break - always pays to be thorough with the research to this one, no point investing a lot in a build and having one tiny bit stop you in your tracks when it breaks!

These questions come as a result of some rather expensive bad experiences (E.g doing a 201 build from parts!)

• Like 1