wtcc5

wtcc5's TT-02BR

The new BR somehow caught my interest, when I build the version five of my TT-02 competition upgrade set. The new XV-02 gear diffs are great and a big quality gain for the TT-02 platform. Knowing that the BR comes with all these new parts, then made the decision.

img_6215xrctt.jpg

You still can add Hop-Ups :D

img_6214xudl3.jpg

Unboxing:

img_6216l7igr.jpg

img_6217jmep6.jpg

• Like 12

I’m wondering if the TT02SR adjustable rear hinge pin mount can be shoehorned on. Looking forward to seeing it done. 

On 3/11/2023 at 3:35 AM, wtcc5 said:

The new BR somehow caught my interest, when I build the version five of my TT-02 competition upgrade set. The new XV-02 gear diffs are great and a big quality gain for the TT-02 platform. Knowing that the BR comes with all these new parts, then made the decision.

img_6215xrctt.jpg

You still can add Hop-Ups :D

img_6214xudl3.jpg

Unboxing:

img_6216l7igr.jpg

img_6217jmep6.jpg

Great! Looking forward to it. I'm particularly curious about how you will gear the BZ on a TT-02. 70/16 will still be too long I think so you might have to go to 64p and adjustable mount?

• Thanks 1

@Juls1: I will try to fit the rear suspension mount later here and let you know how it worked out.

@Pylon80: The BZ motor won't go out to play. The sandy area we are "racing" at, is a brushed-motor-killer. When I will prepare the car for an outdoor day, it will receive a closed brushless motor and probably the Yeah Racing stepless motor mount.

Lets start the build!

"All new!" is the drivetrain. It will be embedded into the black hard (glasfiber) tub that came in the box:

img_62185ufim.jpg

img_62207lc01.jpg

I replaced the stock bearings with sealed ones that will survive a day in the sandpit.

The new outdrives and blades are another nice feature:

img_6221ixfg9.jpg

Then the XV-02 diffs :wub: Perfectly smooth and sealed. I used 3000cst like the manual suggested (which is maybe wrong for performance, but I don't know):

img_6222zefry.jpg

The steel outdrives look very strong, but are also quite heavy, so I opted for the aluminium version in combination with blades.

img_6223uciii.jpg

img_6225y1i4h.jpg

img_6226b9coh.jpg 

Both of these then go hide in the tub under the covers:

img_6227xwism.jpg

• Like 9

Cool! I can't figure out why, but I too was captured by the look of this chassis when it was announced. Will this be receiving a similar treatment as your roadgoing TT02? :lol: What body will you go for?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Juls1: I will try to fit the rear suspension mount later here and let you know how it worked out.

@Pylon80: The BZ motor won't go out to play. The sandy area we are "racing" at, is a brushed-motor-killer. When I will prepare the car for an outdoor day, it will receive a closed brushless motor and probably the Yeah Racing stepless motor mount.

Lets start the build!

"All new!" is the drivetrain. It will be embedded into the black hard (glasfiber) tub that came in the box:

img_62185ufim.jpg

img_62207lc01.jpg

I replaced the stock bearings with sealed ones that will survive a day in the sandpit.

The new outdrives and blades are another nice feature:

img_6221ixfg9.jpg

Then the XV-02 diffs :wub: Perfectly smooth and sealed. I used 3000cst like the manual suggested (which is maybe wrong for performance, but I don't know):

img_6222zefry.jpg

The steel outdrives look very strong, but are also quite heavy, so I opted for the aluminium version in combination with blades.

img_6223uciii.jpg

img_6225y1i4h.jpg

img_6226b9coh.jpg 

Both of these then go hide in the tub under the covers:

img_6227xwism.jpg

The new diffs sure look nice. Keep us posted on how they... Resist... Leaking 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:12 PM, Juls1 said:

I’m wondering if the TT02SR adjustable rear hinge pin mount can be shoehorned on. Looking forward to seeing it done. 

I hope so, its on my hop up list

@Tizer:lol: We will see... Regarding the body: Please let me keep it a secret for now.

@ThunderDragonCy: I am already teased to do so. Hold me back :P

@Pylon80: I got one in my TT-02KRv5 and it didn't leak so far.

@all: Thanks for the nice words!

Next on was the motor installation:

img_62284adgh.jpg

img_6229tgfax.jpg

img_6230v4chd.jpg

img_6231tgcea.jpg

It is really nice, that Tamiya included the hardened aluminium pinion this time.

Lets hide the blue part (as always):

img_6232wpdo4.jpg

The next step is very exciting for someone who worked so much with TT-02 chassis, but never owned a TT-02B. The suspension is very different. So this is all new to me. Overall it seems to be a tad to complicated designed... Giving the front arms kick-up is not an easy task to do on an TT-02 tub.

img_62331lfk4.jpg

img_6234nocnv.jpg

img_6235vhc8h.jpg

Tamiya have the next Hop-Up ready to strengthen the front suspension mount. It gives me more trust in the durability of this car in action.

• Like 7

Only left to add the bumper at this point:

img_6236lcead.jpg

For the rear Tamiya uses the U-wire and a special mount:

img_6237n5c51.jpg

While mounting these parts, I thought, that it maybe could've been done with less screws. Especially after installing the rear bumper:

img_6238jning.jpg

img_6239elimi.jpg

Getting somewhere ^_^

img_624088ft8.jpg

Now to the tasty carbon plates. Front shock tower:

img_62411hiun.jpg

img_6242jgfug.jpg

img_6243did4d.jpg

I still cannot decide if I like the construction of the front suspension. Working with c-hubs and Kingpins... Seems oldschool, the good old DF-01 times. On the other side, again the problem on how to add kick up to this chassis. C-hubs are an easy and effective solution:

img_6257nnf70.jpg

I replaced the kingpin screws with lighter ones from the Tamiya range:

img_6258hld5y.jpg

The hinge pin screws for the outer c-hub installation also had to leave (while I was in my vintage style tuning fever):

img_62604eilx.jpg

img_6261fmc36.jpg

This pin is a bit short, though for the front (by 0.2mm).

img_62622ndi8.jpg

• Like 5

Same style of installation for the rear. Carbon shock tower:

img_62633we5q.jpg

Aluminium hubs:

img_62643tckq.jpg

img_6265e1cgx.jpg

img_6266akcxw.jpg

:wub:

It continues to be tasty with the shock build:

img_62678dd36.jpg

img_6268p6ere.jpg

img_62692vc8q.jpg

• Like 7

Now to the installation of these beauties:

img_627037fh4.jpg

img_6271lndbv.jpg

img_6272rbe0a.jpg

... and suddenly it is car :D

I got two unused sets of the Hop Up steering rack at home and because these are so expensive, I am happy to install one here:

img_6275yliq6.jpg

img_6276knfgf.jpg

The servo installation is also expensive. I am not a fan of this large aluminum-bridge-servo-mount and went for two TB-03 mounts in combination with the special servo screws. The nice servoarm and servosaver are stock for this kit:

img_6277xpi7s.jpg

img_6278sbf5i.jpg

img_62795qi4s.jpg

• Like 6

Getting closer to the end of the manual build...

I put on the wheelhexes, wheels and tires next:

img_62811vibm.jpg

I am a bit disappointed, that Tamiya didn't add clamping aluminum hexes in the box...

img_6282eai0q.jpg

img_6283ekcur.jpg

This chassis needed more carbon parts. I got a carbon battery brace left and find it fitting for the TT-02BR:

img_6284urcip.jpg

Just small things left to add, like the TRF wing mount and the sturdy body posts:

img_6286abfq6.jpg

img_6287jvf5q.jpg

The completed chassis:

img_6288q7da8.jpg

img_62898odwe.jpg

That is it so far for the manual build. Everything that follows now, will be typical "wtcc"-stuff :D

• Like 10

I'd be interested to see how this would perform against my mildly hopped up DF03, with the TT02B/DF03 alloy dampers and running the same Super Stock BZ.

• Like 1

@Elbowloh: Unfortunately, I cannot help here, as I do not own a DF-03.

Now, it continues a bit unusual and without a straight order :rolleyes:

First I tried the rear suspension mount with inserts:

img_6355i3cyr.jpg

It fits without causing any problems. I used it with 52mm hinge pins and 2.5mm shims in front of the arms. In the end I used the middle most inner insert, otherwise you will end up with too much toe. The longer wheelbase is welcome though and the rear bumper fits too:

img_6356cmewc.jpg

img_6357t7dmk.jpg

img_6358jiioi.jpg

I am not getting warm with the NeoScorcher body. Even though it is a better fit for the TT-02 tub, I went for the TRF501X body. The fitment went ok. The tub is too wide on the right side. I milled away part of the tub wall. Now it sits just millimeter away from the servoarm, motor and batterypost (perfect):

img_6344g6e8c.jpg

img_6345jycjr.jpg

Then the idea of owning the Aeration Big Bore Dampers bit me. Rear first:

img_6309dadoj.jpg

img_6310k8ijt.jpg

img_6347pzcmp.jpg

... and I must admit they are much better, than the original damper set... fronts next:

img_6348o3cs7.jpg

img_6349m6dnl.jpg

img_635028ekh.jpg

img_6351m1dtz.jpg

img_63520cfwl.jpg

Later, I also fitted the rear wing:

img_6359pmdmz.jpg

It sits a bit low... so I printed spacers to lift it:

img_6364aaf2t.jpg

36b637a3-ff8f-4842-8uqcuw.jpeg

Better ^_^

• Like 9

7 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

I am not getting warm with the NeoScorcher body. Even though it is a better fit for the TT-02 tub, I went for the TRF501X body.

To be honest, the Neo Scorcher body wouldn't also have been my first choice, and the TRF501X body looks so much better. Great decision! 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:41 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I'm giving it 3 months before we see 3D printed bits creeping into this one ;-)

5 days, it took him 5 days...

• Haha 3

You work fast!

Looks smart. Tamiya never made an 'R' spec DF-02, which is the spiritual predecessor of the TT02B if you will. I'm attempting to build one - it's proving expensive and I'm not even sure that the chassis' shortcomings will be overcome with the changes I've made anyway, but that's not what it's all about with Tamiya, after all.

I couldn't justify the genuine Tamiya rear uprights. The RRP in the UK is £64.99 for the pair :lol:

• Haha 2

I have to apologize, because I let this thread die quietly even though the car got upgrades...

Well, I added TRF suspension parts months ago, because this is the fun part. But then I didn't have the motivation to upload the pictures and post it. I also switched to dish wheels to give it the "pro look". And then I put it on the shelf with the body design drawn already. I didn't find the time to finish it that week and so it stood several more weeks without me wanting to do the masking of the body. Lucky, today was a lazy day. No gardening, maintenance or other work disturbing and also no one who wanted to play outside with R/C cars. And so I got to finish the body, finally! After buying a 3in1 Formula One sticker sheet in Tokyo, I decided for a classic cigarette livery:

img_85070uf00.jpg

The body has real strange surfaces. I always feel like there is one window too much depending on the perspective :lol:

img_8509wscrv.jpg

Here now a view of the chassis with all its Hop-Ups:

img_8511bvdv5.jpg

Some more views:

img_8515i9crk.jpg

img_85173leo8.jpg

img_851944eq5.jpg

• Like 13

Awesome ! I am a sucker for a mclaren style buggy. I also have one (asso b4). I changed it to "Malbüro" and "Shnell".. and "Arg teuer"... haha ... You already saw them mclaren liveries in the losi xx(4) days way back.... and you surely know the modern optima concept livery Designs from insta and co., amongst which is also a williams fw14 livery. Reminds me of this because of the Windows with the spender struts like a fighter jet. That fw14 look would also look great. The trf body is really really strange but its cool as it is, in its own right. Congrats... i guess you didnt calulate the Total cost of build (for your own sanity) ? I would not, but if you did, id be curious... 

• Thanks 1

Looks fantastic! That body looks far better than the NS body in the box - love the old school paint scheme!  

Did your diffs sit ok in the bearing pockets? Mine were quite loose, uncharacteristic for Tamiya. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

I have to apologize, because I let this thread die quietly even though the car got upgrades...

Well, I added TRF suspension parts months ago, because this is the fun part. But then I didn't have the motivation to upload the pictures and post it. I also switched to dish wheels to give it the "pro look". And then I put it on the shelf with the body design drawn already. I didn't find the time to finish it that week and so it stood several more weeks without me wanting to do the masking of the body. Lucky, today was a lazy day. No gardening, maintenance or other work disturbing and also no one who wanted to play outside with R/C cars. And so I got to finish the body, finally! After buying a 3in1 Formula One sticker sheet in Tokyo, I decided for a classic cigarette livery:

img_85070uf00.jpg

The body has real strange surfaces. I always feel like there is one window too much depending on the perspective :lol:

img_8509wscrv.jpg

Here now a view of the chassis with all its Hop-Ups:

img_8511bvdv5.jpg

Some more views:

img_8515i9crk.jpg

img_85173leo8.jpg

img_851944eq5.jpg

Delightful.

its a much better looking car with the TRF/DB01 front hubs isnt it?

what arms did you use?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1