Sign in to follow this  
IoMTom

Seized brushed motor

Hi, as above really, swapped a 12t 90’s brushed motor into my txt1, hooked up to a Hobbywing 880 dual esc. Added lipo and it worked for 30 seconds before the motor seized.

I’ve pulled the motor apart and the only thing wrong I can see is the grey substance on the side of the armature. It’s hard but should I scrape it off? Putting the armature back in it does turn, but that’s without everything else. Bearings are both good as are the brushes (pics below).

cheers!

3C85F8C3-A2AB-4E53-B5BB-FB26E3600F1C.jpeg

0A253C2A-7925-4333-881E-9713C2F80F8F.jpeg

No that is putty for balancing.

I'd give it a through clean and reassemble, check it turns over by hand, and then connect directly to a battery to see if it works.

• Like 1

Ok, ta. I think I’ve lunched the esc too…..expensive day!

• Sad 2

Motor works again, esc not so much! New esc can’t take 3s, so back to slow truck for now..

Probably right, I did have it on 4s with dual silver cans for a bit which probably didn’t help!

• Haha 1

Holy Moly!

Maybe a little bit too much battery power for an old modified motor. 12t brushed was really hot with rpm´s over 30.000 back then. I´ve no knowledge about txt´s, but Monster trucks need lower gearing because of the big tires. So I hope you switched to smaller pinions when going from silver cans to the mod Motor.

Don´t know the age of it, but the collector looks slightly burned now. For my feeling it is a case for a commutator truing on the lathe. Or try to polish it with a hard eraser. (old Tamiya recommendation).

Good luck for the new ESC!;)

• Like 4

On 3/12/2023 at 5:24 PM, IoMTom said:

Motor works again, esc not so much! New esc can’t take 3s, so back to slow truck for now..

I know the IoM is known for mad motorsport but what you do is simply frying electronics with your S3 LiPo. Next smoke would have been the car probably...

• Haha 2

On 3/14/2023 at 12:03 PM, Collin said:

I know the IoM is known for mad motorsport but what you do is simply frying electronics with your S3 LiPo. Next smoke would have been the car probably...

Yeah, I’ve ordered a new esc for my wild one, which has an unlimited turn esc in it. That only takes 2s so hopefully the faster motor will improve the truck. If not I could always put the manual speed control back!