F-150

Tools, mainly screwdrivers

I mostly have Tamiyas and they all have Phillips type hardware in which I have the Tamiya screwdriver set for and work well.  I'm interested in seeing if anyone has a nice alternate set of screwdrivers they build their Tamiyas with besides the Tamiya set. MIP does not seem to have typical screwdrivers, but I'm planning to buy MIP for my cars that have hex hardware.

Also I believe Tamiya hardware are the J.S. standard japanese size, so Typical Phillips screwdrivers aren't the best choice I guess. 

So what you guys/gals using?

You certainly need JIS screwdrivers as the similar-looking Phillips will just round out the heads.

Tamiya is the easy way to buy JIS screwdrivers, sometimes other brands state that they are JIS but are rarely cheaper than Tamiya, also some of the far eastern RC tools default to a JIS pattern without directly saying so, which can be a bit of a gamble.

MIP don't do any JIS drivers but they are very good tools.

• Like 2

Not come across the need to buy anything other than these yet, although I've only been building Tamiya re-re kits so far:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

I'm getting into RC mud boss racing, I have a Traxxas slash I'm converting and a custom works outlaw-4 sprint car that all use hex so I'm getting MIP for that. For my Tamiyas I'm looking for an alternative to the Tamiya kit(I have) just wondering what else everyone likes for the standard Tamiya kits that use normal screws. 

I'm looking at vessle drivers from Japan. I've heard they last and are pure JIS. I may just get some and see how I think they feel and fit.

I have the cheaper Tamiya JIS ones which have a all black handle. As posted above they are guarantied to fit and are probably cheaper than some claimed-to-be JIS screwdrivers. They last a long time. All you will ever need is a 'small' one and a 'big' one.

Tools are a personal thing but one piece of advice on adjuster (ball joint) is to just never disassemble them. Most will ovalize and develop play when you do so. Instead I remove the ball nut or the ball stud rather than disconnecting the adjuster.

• Like 1

Yep, I agree re. the ball nuts but it's not always possible without dismantling a lot of the car.  I only have cheap re-res anyway and if I need to fit a new plastic cup because the original is too worn then it will be a cheap thing to do.

• Like 1

I ordered some vessel JIS driver's from Amazon(made in Japan) to check them out and see if they feel better than Tamiya. 

I remember assembling an original hornet and Blackfoot when I was a kid, using whatever dad had laying around the garage. They worked and most likely not JIS. Just cheap Stanley department store driver's. 

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

Tools are a personal thing but one piece of advice on adjuster (ball joint) is to just never disassemble them. Most will ovalize and develop play when you do so. Instead I remove the ball nut or the ball stud rather than disconnecting the adjuster.

Good advice thanks.

I primarily use Wiha and Wera drivers for my RC.  They are phillips head so I file the tips to my liking to make them fully compatible with JIS.  

I use Beta drivers in my garage.  A those are good too.  

I have the MIP hex set, they’re good but the handles aren’t that friendly to your hands. If I was starting again I’d buy the speed bits and use an alternative handle or perhaps buy Hudy.

I use the Tamiya red set for the JIS screws.

I also really like Wera and have a few of those. Heard good things about PB Swiss but never tried them.

4 hours ago, Cynan said:

I have the MIP hex set, they’re good but the handles aren’t that friendly to your hands. If I was starting again I’d buy the speed bits and use an alternative handle or perhaps buy Hudy.

I use the Tamiya red set for the JIS screws.

I also really like Wera and have a few of those. Heard good things about PB Swiss but never tried them.

I use MIP hex bits and a Wera ratcheting driver handle.   It works well for the most part, but I still rely on my Wera hex driver (with ergonomic handles) for most screw driving/tightening as I do not like the small but annoying amount of play ratchet drivers have especially while initating the screw. 

On 3/14/2023 at 12:47 PM, F-150 said:

I'm looking at vessle drivers from Japan. I've heard they last and are pure JIS. 

In addition to the Tamiya JIS screwdrivers, I got a Vessel set of driver tips for a small slow electric driver I have.   I highly recommend them.  Fit the Tamiya screws perfectly.  I got this set from Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751891B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For hex fittings, I use MIP, both drivers and 1/4" drive bits.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OnTheTrail said:

In addition to the Tamiya JIS screwdrivers, I got a Vessel set of driver tips for a small slow electric driver I have.   I highly recommend them.  Fit the Tamiya screws perfectly.  I got this set from Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751891B5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For hex fittings, I use MIP, both drivers and 1/4" drive bits.  

Thanks, I placed order to give them a try.   My driver is a low power super compact Panasonic with slipper..it shouldn't be breaking MIP hex driver bits, but it did.   Anyway, I started making a separate tool set for my RC work desk so this is perfect.  

I’ve got a set of tamiya screw drivers and a set of Overdose hex drivers I use at home or for fresh builds. Also got a set of MIP hex drivers in my pit bag that I use at the track. 

Basic Tamiya 74085 set and their excellent 74089 electric driver for maintenance 

53659 TRF set for builds - pics below 

IMG_6245.jpeg

IMG_6246.jpeg