FoxShot

Vinatge SRB Chassis Differences

I have 3 Old SRB chassis, and various wheels, 3 complete sets as far as I know. All different. Seem to be XLT, Scorcher and Rough Rider

2 of them have the cast front spring stops, one the screw type. This i know as the first release. However...

The rear cage on them are all different. One appears to be a brass construction, could be another metal. Which, if any came with this version. It looks kinda home made, but well.

Another is black plastic. Other is aluminium. Currently the black plastic rear cage is on the same chassis as the Screw stop front end.

ideally I'd like to make one runner Sand Scorcher, modified with carbon chassis and RC Channel rear end etc, and 2 shelfies. One is for my mate I did the Mountain Rider for.

What I don't want to do is use the oldest/rarest version on my runner, so advice please people. I have had a google, but came up with nothing.

Many thanks in advance.

20220512_172725.jpg

20220512_172957.jpg

20220512_172642.jpg

20220512_172702.jpg

The gearbox with the aluminium rear cage is an early version, as it has the two lugs to attach the cage too, rather than the later infilled one.

This should go with the screw type front spring stops.

Hope that helps.

Rich

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Finman said:

The gearbox with the aluminium rear cage is an early version, as it has the two lugs to attach the cage too, rather than the later infilled one.

This should go with the screw type front spring stops.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Thanks. That rear end isn't with the screw front end!

They were/are in a very bad condition

Just a bit of useless information? And I don't know if this is correct but I was told that back in the original day the cadge on the Ford ranger was slightly smaller than the other two (rough rider, sand scorcher) because of the body going over it which I took with a pinch of salt until I rebuild a Ford ranger and used a cadge of a rough rider and the back of the ranger body wouldn't fit over the cadge??? Does anyone know any different because reading the above comments I didn't realise how many varieties tamiya had made!

4 hours ago, moffman said:

Just a bit of useless information? And I don't know if this is correct but I was told that back in the original day the cadge on the Ford ranger was slightly smaller than the other two (rough rider, sand scorcher) because of the body going over it which I took with a pinch of salt until I rebuild a Ford ranger and used a cadge of a rough rider and the back of the ranger body wouldn't fit over the cadge??? Does anyone know any different because reading the above comments I didn't realise how many varieties tamiya had made!

I haven't tried, but from what I've read, the Ranger body doesn't fit (over the cage) on the re-re Sand Scorcher and Buggy Champ. However, back in the day, as soon as the Ranger Body Parts Set got available, my cousin and I bought Ranger bodies for my Sand Scorcher and his Rough Rider and mounted them with the original rear cages (and the Ranger rollbars included in the BPS'es) without any problems at all. No clearance issues!

• Thanks 1

I haven't tried, but from what I've read, the Ranger body doesn't fit (over the cage) on the re-re Sand Scorcher and Buggy Champ. However, back in the day, as soon as the Ranger Body Parts Set got available, my cousin and I bought Ranger bodies for my Sand Scorcher and his Rough Rider and mounted them with the original rear cages (and the Ranger rollbars included in the BPS'es) without any problems at all. No clearance issues!

That's correct the Ranger body doesn't fit over the re-re cage.

C23302AB-4373-4449-AD0C-D849949264C1.jpg Not strictly a Ranger but a Blackfoot body fits over a re re SS. As far as I’m aware apart from the letters on the rear tailgate that part of the body is the same as the Ranger's?

EDIT sorry may have misunderstood OP. If you mean the roll hoop then you are correct it is too tall. The Ranger has a lower hoop that has a hexagon boss on top which in turn has a body post on top of that. The body also has two tabs which sit on the hoop. I thought you meant the cage that goes around the back, hence the picture!!!

Edited by Busdriver
Misunderstood OP