Sign in to follow this  
Gebbly

Experiences with Axel's Modellbau Shop?

I'm thinking of getting a Tamiya RC Centurion Tank. A lot of places seem to be out of stock at the moment. I have found RCJaz have it for a great price

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-56045-116-british-centurion-mkiii-medium-tank-fulloption-kit-p-27479.html

but opinions of RCJaz on this forum seem to vary. Anyone got any experiences ordering full kits from them?

But I have also seen the kit available from the German site Axel's Modellbau Shop

https://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/en/tamiya-56045-centurion-mk-iii-british-battle-tank-rc-full-option-kit-1-16.html

Has anyone had any experiences with this store?

If you are buying from overseas, don't forget to factor in the possibility of import charges - duty & VAT...and possibly the Parcel Force ransom fee.

Consider Fusion Hobbies if you are in the UK - they give a discount to TC members.

• Like 1

I've used Fusion Hobbies before (without the TC discount) and they have been very reliable. Sadly they dont have it in stock, just a button to preorder the item which I'm never keen on doing.

Is it only Fusion Hobbies that offers discounts are do any of the other sponsors (like Tamico)?

I have just noticed that Tamico have the Centurion in stock for a reasonable price. Have people had good experiences with Tamico?

Can anyone give a ballpark of the sorts of amounts that get added when items get imported? I'm guessing 20%VAT but no idea on import charges/duty.

1 hour ago, Gebbly said:

I've used Fusion Hobbies before (without the TC discount) and they have been very reliable. Sadly they dont have it in stock, just a button to preorder the item which I'm never keen on doing.

Is it only Fusion Hobbies that offers discounts are do any of the other sponsors (like Tamico)?

I have just noticed that Tamico have the Centurion in stock for a reasonable price. Have people had good experiences with Tamico?

Can anyone give a ballpark of the sorts of amounts that get added when items get imported? I'm guessing 20%VAT but no idea on import charges/duty.

Yes 20% vat plus maybe £12 charges 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gebbly said:

no idea on import charges/duty

According to this sample calculation, 0% import duty from DE as there is some kind of UK-EU trade deal going on. I assumed €600 kit cost and €100 postage for the calculation.

T7BV9XB.jpg

If from HK, the duty will be 4%. Try it yourself, I ran out of free searches for today.

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Use HS Code 95032000 for RC cars.

• Like 1

Thats great, thanks for the info everyone. Is it safe to assume that if its one of TC's sponsors (Tamico) they should be a reliable company. The Tamico option is started to sound quite tempting.

8 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

According to this sample calculation, 0% import duty from DE as there is some kind of UK-EU trade deal going on. I assumed €600 kit cost and €100 postage for the calculation.

T7BV9XB.jpg

If from HK, the duty will be 4%. Try it yourself, I ran out of free searches for today.

https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Use HS Code 95032000 for RC cars.

The shipping company (Parcelforce, DHL, whoever) will add on about £12 to handle the processing of the VAT. That's what happened to me when i purchased from Germany.

• Like 1

I cannot say anything about UK taxes, but regarding tre seriousness and reliability of Tamico I can say they are top notch. 

• Like 1

Used Tamico a lot over the years and never had a problem,  in fact I'm just waiting for a ransom note from Parcelforce for an order that's just landed in the UK and had customs charges raised.

You just need to be aware that inevitably it will get stopped by customers coming into the UK (100% hit rate for me, but i know others have faired better and not had additional customs charges), this is due to them putting a minimum order value of 165Euros for orders to the UK. So customs will raise a charge and you need to pay that before they release for delivery to you and the additional £12 for Parcelforce to pay on your behalf. 

I see the minimum order level of 165Euro is now stipulated for UK orders for RC-KleinKram, somebody else who i have also used may times and never had an issue, their shipping to UK was usually 2-3 days from placing an order.

• Like 1