Addicted

Early Tamiya Touring Cars TA01 - TA03

This build thread will be dedicated to the early Tamiya Touring Cars which is one of my main Tamiya passions. 

I have built up an interesting collection of Kits, Parts and Hop Ups that will be built up and documented here. 

I’m going to do some side by side comparisons from the original parts to the Hop Up parts and showcase some rare and hard to find parts. 

It’s going to be an ongoing thread which I think is better than starting multiple threads for each chassis and I welcome anyone to join in. 

• Like 7

As an opener, I have this offering:

TA01 built up using the Event Release Fluorescent chassis parts in Yellow 😎

These parts were available at Tamiya Events in Japan in the mid 90’s.   

Started with stainless pins for the arms - I don’t know how may of those e-clips I have lost over all my builds 🙈

Already decided I’m swapping out the balls to coloured ones - pink or blue???4ED99DD9-343C-42E0-95AB-6B25D5E761D9.thumb.jpeg.9deb244d184acc491613d150c7bb6922.jpeg

• Like 22

17 hours ago, Addicted said:

It’s going to be an ongoing thread which I think is better than starting multiple threads for each chassis and I welcome anyone to join in.

I'm in!

24 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

I'm in!

After watching your builds, I have a lot to live up to, but great to have you on board!!!!

It will be more of a meandering journey through the chassis types, variations and Tamiya Hop Ups

I know there has been a lot of activity on this thread to the early TA's but hopefully I can bring something new :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Addicted said:

I know there has been a lot of activity on this thread to the early TA's but hopefully I can bring something new :-)

Well, having had a brief peak at some of the kits and parts you have in your collection I'm sure there will be some treasures revealed here along the way 👍

3 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Well, having had a brief peak at some of the kits and parts you have in your collection I'm sure there will be some treasures revealed here along the way 👍

Oh yeah, I forgot you have seen inside the 'Secret Hoard' ha ha

I find stuff in there that I have even forgot about, hence why I thought I should document it here!

• Like 1

Very interested in this thread👍🏻

I'm big into the early TA's especially the 01, first touring car chassis I had. Doubt that will ever be re released.

I've a few fluorescent parts for a 01 but think I prefer the black! Still very nice though 😉 

• Like 1

I've started collecting the kits from this era as it's where I got into RC. Look forward to following this thread. Love that fluorescent chassis!

So I know I have been a little lazy with this one but I have started to gather parts to put this beauty (in the eye of the beholder as I know these Flouro parts aren't for everyone) together at the weekend.

I have been torn between 2 directions with a couple of sub questions, so opinions welcome.

1. Do I build it as a TA02 Racing Special tribute with all the parts that make the RS?
  2. Do I just go all out and fit all of the options available for the TA01 (which I have NIB) inc Tamiya Titanium hardware?
  3. If I do that do I use Turnbuckles to replace the standard upper arms and replace the Flouro parts (not sure I want to do this)
  4. In terms of shocks, I have a choice of any Tamiya Aluminium ones to fit OR I have some White CVA's that I was planning to colour match with RIT Dye? (I am thining the Latter)
  5. Wheels - Going to Dye them the same time as the shocks
  6. I have a couple of the 53143 Rally Car Skid Guard Sets - Do I Dye one of those too?
  7. Final Question - Body / No Body / Cut and Decal a body with no paint / Mask half the body lengthways and paint one side

THats why I havent made any prgress yet :huh:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Addicted said:

So I know I have been a little lazy with this one but I have started to gather parts to put this beauty (in the eye of the beholder as I know these Flouro parts aren't for everyone) together at the weekend.

I have been torn between 2 directions with a couple of sub questions, so opinions welcome.

1. Do I build it as a TA02 Racing Special tribute with all the parts that make the RS?
  2. Do I just go all out and fit all of the options available for the TA01 (which I have NIB) inc Tamiya Titanium hardware?
  3. If I do that do I use Turnbuckles to replace the standard upper arms and replace the Flouro parts (not sure I want to do this)
  4. In terms of shocks, I have a choice of any Tamiya Aluminium ones to fit OR I have some White CVA's that I was planning to colour match with RIT Dye? (I am thining the Latter)
  5. Wheels - Going to Dye them the same time as the shocks
  6. I have a couple of the 53143 Rally Car Skid Guard Sets - Do I Dye one of those too?
  7. Final Question - Body / No Body / Cut and Decal a body with no paint / Mask half the body lengthways and paint one side

THats why I havent made any prgress yet :huh:

For my 2p worth, I think a full flouro TA01 with hop ups, but keep the upper arms would be my vote. There have been a couple of TA02 RS tributes over the last year or so. A full flouro ta01 will be a bit different 

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

For my 2p worth, I think a full flouro TA01 with hop ups, but keep the upper arms would be my vote. There have been a couple of TA02 RS tributes over the last year or so. A full flouro ta01 will be a bit different 

Thanks for the feedback.

I will be building a TA02RS as part of this thread but I am trying to keep things chronological so TA01's first.

So are you saying dye the wheels, shock and bumper flouro yello too??

On 3/17/2023 at 3:15 PM, svenb said:

Very interested in this thread👍🏻

I'm big into the early TA's especially the 01, first touring car chassis I had. Doubt that will ever be re released.

I've a few fluorescent parts for a 01 but think I prefer the black! Still very nice though 😉 

Thanks for the vote of confidence!!

You never know whats going to be re-re'd - I dont think anything is off the table.

Well if you have any of the connector sets that you dont want anymore, then I am in desperate need of some of those - that way I can add the turnbuckles without losing the flouro theme.

I know they did them but just havent seen any pop up for sale in ages.... 

1 hour ago, Addicted said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I will be building a TA02RS as part of this thread but I am trying to keep things chronological so TA01's first.

So are you saying dye the wheels, shock and bumper flouro yello too??

Don't know about dying. I'm scared of that. How about just start the build with the flouro parts you have and see how it feels. I find builds and projects evolve as you go along. 

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Don't know about dying. I'm scared of that. How about just start the build with the flouro parts you have and see how it feels. I find builds and projects evolve as you go along. 

I am going to have a go at dyeing the wheels first to see how it goes as I havent done it before.

I have watched other people do it on YouTube with wheels and is seems pretty simple.

It will look great if it works, as Tamiya didn't do the shocks in the flouro colours but the white ones are a perfect opportunity to make some.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Addicted said:

Well if you have any of the connector sets that you dont want anymore, then I am in desperate need of some of those - that way I can add the turnbuckles without losing the flouro theme.

I know they did them but just havent seen any pop up for sale in ages.... 

I may have, need to look in the stores 

3 hours ago, svenb said:

I may have, need to look in the stores 

Would be amazing if you have a set you could part with. 

happy to buy or trade 

21 minutes ago, Addicted said:

Would be amazing if you have a set you could part with. 

happy to buy or trade 

Don't know if I have a NIP set but I've a few still attached to a parts tree

22 minutes ago, svenb said:

Don't know if I have a NIP set but I've a few still attached to a parts tree

Any would be a massive help. I could maybe use them for the stabiliser set.I was planning on fitting

ill pm you. 

In preparation for this weekends Tamiya fun, I have purchased some small digital scales to enable me to weigh the Tamiya Hop Ups compared to the standard kit parts.

I know its not all about weight, as some parts are designed for a more precise fit and will offer a benefit from a more rigid construction or material but it will still be interesting to see a side by side comparison.

The weight is more of a 'thing' when it comes to rotating mass in the drive train and the need to accelerate a dead weight and keep it moving etc

I am interested to see the weight difference between bearings and plastic bushings as this will be large addition of weight but we all know the benefits of bearings!!

I am going to compare right down to the details of:

• Standard TA01Gear Diff
  • Standard TA01 Ball Diff
  • Standard TA01 Ball Diff with lightweight diff balls
  • Top Force Evo lightweight Alloy Diff Parts with Kit Diff Balls
  • Top Force Evo Lightwieght Alloy Diff Parts with Lightweight Diff Balls - Is this the Ultimate???
  • TA03 Ball Diff - for comparison
  • 4WD One Wat Diff Unit ( as fitted to the TA02RS)

As you can see, this is going to be a long project that will run side by side with the builds.

Wish me luck!!

• Like 2

OK, here’s a start of the weight comparisons

Standard Gear diff 24.14g254F1848-49B9-4163-82B4-6DDBAF39DABF.thumb.jpeg.32db29ceae35a17c25dc1cb860ca6dd5.jpeg

• Like 2

Standard kit ball diff build using Top Force Evolution lightweight Aluminium Pressure Plates

20.29g so a reduction of 15g which is over a third over the kit diff purely from using the TFE parts 😳

CFBCE40E-375A-4E4E-AEDC-0B88E706DD6E.thumb.jpeg.f3c88da8fa21f0d2281b8f3bae3f24aa.jpeg

• Like 2

So here’s a ‘curve ball’

Top Force Evolution lightweight pressure plates with the TA03 diff parts which are narrower than the TA01/TA02 version

18.3g which is near enough a 50% weight saving over the standard kit ball diff

952753A4-3E84-472B-9F8A-4DC7E6E123DF.thumb.jpeg.d32e28959d2408af9dacb3f73a3595be.jpeg

• Like 2

9F4CE27D-14E8-49F7-BE24-FA8EE35DF456.thumb.jpeg.5afc00a0731069cb10f4dfb795dbf6eb.jpegNow, let’s throw these into the mix……

Yes, they will be lighter but it’s also claimed they are ‘rounder’ than the standard item giving a smoother diff feel. 

I also need to dig out the Hard Tungsten Carbide ones too

Am I that good that I would ever notice the difference on the track - no, because 99% of my cars are shelvers 🙈 but I do really enjoy the technical engineering part of the hobby

• Like 2