Sign in to follow this  
Willsls1

After action report - VQS and Sand Viper

So weather has been nicer and got an itch to run my VQS and Sand Viper today. Broke the front shock tower on the VQS after a couple of rolls. The Sand Viper is definitely more rugged than the VQS. It runs brushless fine and jumps like a champ. Ordered the adjustable tie rod kit and some 3Racing shocks for it. Might actually start tracking it at our local carpet track. 

The VQS looks cool but seems to be made of glass. Already replaced the chassis and rear shock tower. It couldn't handle brushless very well either. I might just make it a shelf queen just sucks cause I like to run all my cars. 

20230317_202724.jpg

• Like 4

One can buy three of the other and yet the cheaper one is better...

• Like 1

My problem with running VQS on the dirt is that it ingest debris like no tomorrow. So many entry points and then they got trapped inside that chassis. I love mine but that car might as well double as soil sampling machine :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was curious about vqs…. But looks like it is not my cup of tea.. (I also run all my cars :) no shelf queen for me)

• Like 1

Sometimes simple is better, one was built to show off over engineering/stylisation, the other was simply built for fun.

3 hours ago, Gabranth said:

My problem with running VQS on the dirt is that it ingest debris like no tomorrow. So many entry points and then they got trapped inside that chassis. I love mine but that car might as well double as soil sampling machine :rolleyes:

Isn't one of the main design principles of a buggy for the body to double as a chassis cover?

I still haven't built my VQS, I've had it for um, maybe 2 years now? I'll get around to it someday. It does look to be a very fiddly build which doesn't bode well for reliability. Not like a Hornet which is a simple build and will stand up to ridiculous punishment.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Isn't one of the main design principles of a buggy for the body to double as a chassis cover?

Not for VQS, the body just hang loose on top leaving huge gap

• Like 1

I think the front shock tower is in a vulnerable position on these cars, even the Egress carbon one is prone to breaking. On my Egress I broke it and the wire wing mount as well. The Vanquish looks even more fragile. The rear shock tower is also mounted on a thin piece of plastic (G11). On my vintage Vanquish all these G parts (front shock tower, rear shock tower, G11, G2) started to get brittle and break on their own even just sitting on the shelf. When I build my VQS it will probably just live on the shelf too due to its fragile nature

• Like 1

I took a page out of the Traxxas playbook to help with this problem. The Stampede has kind of flexible, almost rubbery shock towers it seems (these are also body mount anchor points so they see a lot of stress in high speed roll-overs). I made my own towers out of flat 1/8" ABS plastic sheet using the factory tower as a template. I also use all four mount holes (not just the top two like Tamiya does) by countersinking the bottom holes in the tower and using appropriate screws (needed for clearance). This strengthens/braces  the gearbox lugs that mount the tower which can be vulnerable too. The flat ABS has some flex which isn't great for accurate performance but aids durability which I felt was more important since these are really competitive vehicles anymore. Taller and/or carbon towers look cool but their rigidity and extra height put even more strain on the gearbox lugs through more leverage and less impact absorption during roll-overs.

• Like 2

Biggest issue with the VQS is that the shocks bottom out before the chassis does, so any hard landing goes right to the shock towers. It does much better on smoother surfaces.   

7 hours ago, one_hit said:

I think the front shock tower is in a vulnerable position on these cars, even the Egress carbon one is prone to breaking. On my Egress I broke it and the wire wing mount as well. The Vanquish looks even more fragile. The rear shock tower is also mounted on a thin piece of plastic (G11). On my vintage Vanquish all these G parts (front shock tower, rear shock tower, G11, G2) started to get brittle and break on their own even just sitting on the shelf. When I build my VQS it will probably just live on the shelf too due to its fragile nature

Is that right.. wow.  This is probably why these cars can't win any races.. lol. At least they look fantastic next to my other Tamiya buggies.  B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy iine said:

Is that right.. wow.  This is probably why these cars can't win any races.. lol. At least they look fantastic next to my other Tamiya buggies.  B)

Yup, broke those parts. It was a blast driving it around the track but breaking stuff takes away some of the fun :lol: so the Egress now sits on the shelf

0BF1EC98-CC8A-47E5-BE15-4591163CEDA2.thumb.jpeg.a02461a34f41574a7789a5b7fa6ba71f.jpeg

F99631AE-2604-4110-ADB9-709732768253.thumb.jpeg.770a3e15bb0c448ce5e981aa76cdfeaa.jpeg

35C91523-50E7-4D45-93E5-A03CBAD9C198.thumb.jpeg.d58eff6cbb12924053d0aa960c144356.jpeg

• Sad 2

From what I understand, wasn't the Avante originally designed to "win one race"? On the other hand the DT-03 was designed to be simple and rugged, its interesting comparing both buggies side by side.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 6:38 AM, Willy iine said:

@Willsls1 Sorry to hear about the broken shock tower.. do they have CF towers like on the Egress for your car?

Not that I've been able to find. There aren't very many hop ups for this car from what I gather. 

2 hours ago, Willsls1 said:

Not that I've been able to find. There aren't very many hop ups for this car from what I gather. 

I see.. time to design your own?  B)