skom25

Plasma Edge II straight from box: Good or not?

It really isn't just Tamiya either, with any hobby grade RC you'll likely end up spending more on upgrades, wheels, batteries, or replacement parts in time. 

the important thing is if you like driving your RC, and if you think that the upgrades make a difference.

21 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

wheels, batteries, or replacement parts in time. 

I don't normally count those as part of the build unless the kit wheels sucks so much that a hopup is needed. Batteries can usually be used across multiple cars and replacement parts are running cost not build cost.

Of course, depending on the accounting method (ESC? Servo? Rx? Paint? Glue?), I usually say I spend 100% to 150% over the kit price (although all my Tamiya kits are on the cheap end of the scale) to finish a Tamiya kit although these days, I try to go minimalist (budget silver can challenge).

You are right but I think Tamiya Hop Ups are very expensive. It is really strange, that two carbon plates with some additional parts cost almost half price of the kit.

I think that TT-02 Hop Ups are so expensive, because it is still very popular chassis and people will just buy it.

I do not count battery, ESC etc. It is something you have to buy, not an upgrade.

• Like 1

I don't buy for bling but some hop ups and I enjoy the process as much as the result. Where i can replace screw pins they go, I just hate them lol other things like motor mounts but most of my cars still run stock or near stock motors , bar the one mild brushless for off road run time .

I have some spare shock shafts the correct size for the tt02b, wondering what hole piston would be appropriate for general running on/off road or should I just use the kit fixed ones ?

5 hours ago, skom25 said:

You are right but I think Tamiya Hop Ups are very expensive. It is really strange, that two carbon plates with some additional parts cost almost half price of the kit.

I definitely agree with you on there, I'm having a hard time just justifying the $20 aluminium motor mount. There are too many other better things that I could use that money on.

Since Traxxas is common here in the US, I use them as a benchmark for "is this hop up good value?", along with Yeah Racing, etc.

Traxxas aluminum bellcrank (comes in 3 colors, works on multiple models, not necessary): $30

TT-02 aluminium steering (often seen as necessary, sold in two parts, comes in one color, not available on any variants, only works on TT-02s afaik): $50

My theory is that TT hop ups are expensive to give extra perceived value to the fancier, limited release non-body kits.

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

I definitely agree with you on there, I'm having a hard time just justifying the $20 aluminium motor mount. There are too many other better things that I could use that money on.

Since Traxxas is common here in the US, I use them as a benchmark for "is this hop up good value?", along with Yeah Racing, etc.

Traxxas aluminum bellcrank (comes in 3 colors, works on multiple models, not necessary): $30

TT-02 aluminium steering (often seen as necessary, sold in two parts, comes in one color, not available on any variants, only works on TT-02s afaik): $50

My theory is that TT hop ups are expensive to give extra perceived value to the fancier, limited release non-body kits.

I don’t think the hop ups are expensive to give extra perceived value to the fancier, limited kits. Anything from Tamiya is just too darn expensive compared to other options. A TBLE-02S ESC is $56 while a Hobbywing 10BL120A $50. Their 6.6V LF batteries cost 2x more than comparable Lipos. Their 1600SP NiMh pack costs more than a Lipo. Tamiya brushless motor $70 vs Speed Passion brushless motor at $30. Tamiya Ceramic grease 10g for $5 vs aftermarket 100g for $10. The list goes on. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, one_hit said:

Anything from Tamiya is just too darn expensive compared to other options.

I can't argue there, that's why both of my vintage ORVs run aftermarket shells.

4 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Or go third party and get the whole complete thing at half the price. This Tamiya thing of needing 2 purchase to complete an upgrade is just robbery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, one_hit said:

Tamiya brushless motor $70 vs Speed Passion brushless motor at $30.

SP had been out of business for like over half a decade. Their motor being cheap could be due to the fire sales.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skom25 said:

Kit arrived!

If someone is interested, please visit my build.

I would but I don't have permission to see it?

2 hours ago, skom25 said:

Probably it has to be accepted by moderators.

I can see it now, hope you enjoy your TT-02B!

• Like 1