skom25

Protecting NiMh battery

Hi,

I have an issue with my DT-03 and battery. Racing Fighter has huge gap between chassis and body. After only two rides my battery is scratched at the ends, because there were small rocks in battery tray.

I tried with foam cover above battery, it is better but still not as good as should be.

How can I protect battery? Add second layer of heat shrink? Aluminium tape?

I have few ideas but I am still newbie. I am afraid that will all that covers battery will get too hot.

Any suggestions?

You could perhaps think about using pieces of polycarbonate to make dust covers to keep debris out of the battery compartment.

• Like 1

I just accept that batteries get scuffed up. You should see what running a car with a semi exposed battery, like the Thunder Shot series, looks like after a few runs over loose gravel! :o

They're NiMH, which are fairly robust, so should be absolutely fine. Mine certainly are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadInventor said:

You could perhaps think about using pieces of polycarbonate to make dust covers to keep debris out of the battery compartment.

Good idea. I think about some cover with velcro.

1 hour ago, Twinfan said:

I just accept that batteries get scuffed up. You should see what running a car with a semi exposed battery, like the Thunder Shot series, looks like after a few runs over loose gravel! :o

They're NiMH, which are fairly robust, so should be absolutely fine. Mine certainly are.

I run mainly on Gravel. I am little afraid but beginning is always little scary in every hobby 😳

Probably I will buy heat shrink and just put second layer. Today after 40 minutes on dust and gravel it is better. Foam cover did it job and battery was not hot, just warm.

@skom25 Having rocks & gravel in the battery tray leads to significant scratching of your battery only if the battery is rattling/moving inside the tray. What greatly mitigates scratches & scuffing, far more than preventing rocks from getting in, is to prevent the battery from moving. The DT-03 has a large space that a NiMH doesn't fully fill, especially if you run smaller batteries (<3000 mAh). I routinely use foam tape (leftover bits from the one provided in cockpit sets) to ensure batteries fit snug and movement-free on all my cars. For example, on a TT-02:

BatFillers.JPG.fa13a27b47bfeff7a8184ebb42505871.JPG

I do something similar on my DT-03 but it's hard to get a picture because the foam is inside the battery compartment.

• Like 1

Thanks! I had perfect piece of foam. A moment before build finish... my dog ate it 😮💨

I use black electrical tape both on the chassis and the battery. The tape might get eaten very slowly through chaffing as the battery moves around; all you have to do is replace the tape once in a while. Black electrical tape looks very stealth too which is nice.

I used Tamiya masking tape (to protect the label from tearing..actually Nichiban as it's the same material and have wide rolls) then wrapped it over with e tape..