simalarion

My First Crawler-please Help me Decide

First off i am aware Tamiya is not (by far) the best Crawlers when it comes to handling/driving, but for me the combination off adding your personal touch to it + I think Tamiya kits have more personality to begin with ends with that it must be a Tamiya.

I have done some resarch and to me it (looking at videos) it seems CC-02 Chassis is to fast and «wobelly» to feel and look like a Crawler ride (out off the box)

Then i looked At a CR-01 driving over pretty rough stone terain and it looked much more like rhe ride was after, not Pro Crawling just a slow paced Casual fun ride, perfect.

I found the best Deal on Rock Socker but i prefer the look off Unimog (also as Rock Socker have a bit Monster Truck look as i already have), but i can just buy a Unimog Body later.

So after my resarch i landed on:

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Rock-Socker-CR-01-Kit-58592

https://tamico.de/?a=7255&lang=ger

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-CR-Tuned-Tuning-Engine-35T-for-Crawler-54114

Does this look like a good idea when you takink account to what i just described?.

Edit: I see i should have posted here,  «Monster Trucks, 4x4, Wheelie Rigs and Crawlers» so a moderator can just move it.

Consider using a 550 motor which has even more torque than your 35T CR Tuned.

And you are right about the CC being too fast, if you look at the early CCs, they are actually rally based rather than crawler based and they do go fast.

• Thanks 1

Yes it does. CR01 is typical Tamiya overengineered, but the closest they have come to a true crawler. It will do just fine out on the trail, and is easily modified when you are ready to do so.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, simalarion said:

Thanks again.

Somthing like this then:

https://tamico.de/Ruddog-Electric-Motor-Crawler-550-14T-5-Slot

? Edit:  Awhile ago i did tried to learn Turn compared to pinion used etc and how it would effect the driving but i gave up then, with Crawlers i believe i should use more time learning this :)

14T might be too fast for a crawler. I am using a 27T with 21T pinion (stock 14T) and I can run faster than it. I believe slow speed is what the crawler crowd refers to as "scale speed".

• Thanks 1

Slower speeds are definitely better for crawling. Not for "scale" speed, but for control. If you have a possible range of 0-100% throttle, and you make 100% slower, then the steps between 0 and 100 get closer together, so you have finer control over your speed, and that's important.

The 35 turn CR-tuned motor should be a good place to start. I've been crawling for 12 years now and I've never used anything but 35 to 55 turn 540-size motors. They have plenty of torque, especially with the CR01's low gearing. No need to bother with 550 motors.

Two other very important things: First, get a good strong servo with metal gears and high torque. Crawling puts a lot of strain on the servo, and most people run without a servo-saver to get rid of any slop or flexibility in the steering. And second, consider an ESC with a crawler mode, which includes drag-brakes. That way, the truck will stop when you let off the throttle, instead of rolling forward or backward. It's much easier to drive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have both the CC02 and CR01

I like the CC02 but it's not in the same league as a proper crawler, but I think it's a great "trail truck", mines great fun the woods with a superstock TZ motor. 

Its also great for zipping around the garden with a 13.5 brushless setup. It does have quite bad bump steer out of the box, so I think it's worth axle mounting the servo. 

The CR01 is much more capable as a crawler, but it's probably a slightly over engineered kit - I quite like that about it, it was a very challenging build. I also didn't feel like it needed a lot of hopups. I've added the carbon steel props, reinforced axles and drive cups and left it at that. It does need a very beefy servo IMO though, I tried a 20KG Savox but had to swap to a 30KG PowerHD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd echo what OldSchool' suggests - if you want a Tamiya, the Rock-Socker is the cheapest way to get a CR-01 chassis vehicle, and you can always swap the body over for pretty much anything else in time as you surmise.

Built it, run it stock, and then consider any upgrades (to the motor/suspension) as you find it's limitations... as markbt73 says above, if the kit doesn't come with an ESC, get a dedicated 'crawler' one - either the Hobbywing 1060, or their 1080 version (which is programmable) which features a drag-brake and different throttle responses...

A 35Kg servo ought to be considered minimum for something that size and weight (and tyre size) too - you can typically get a decent one on Ebay for around $25.

Have fun!

Jx

• Thanks 1

Thank you @markbt73 for the information, i have a Quicrun 1080 with program board so the esc i believe is hooked off already. Maybe i will just go for the setup in first post then. 

Seems to me the springs on CR-01 should be replaced with oil dampers, but not sure how the stock springs work for crawling?, as it is diffrent criteria for Crawling it might not be as important as i think

@BuggyGuy Thank you. For my monster truck i bought Several From AliExpress that holds up very well, so i believe they will hold up in my Crawler setup (?):

spacer.png

Edit: @JennyMo  Thsnks for information. I see you suggest 35kg, so i understand Crawling do demand a powerful servo, i will keep an eye out for an upgrade then but will start with the 25kg i have already. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simalarion said:

@BuggyGuy Thank you. For my monster truck i bought Several From AliExpress that holds up very well, so i believe they will hold up in my Crawler setup (?):

spacer.png

Edit: @JennyMo  Thsnks for information. I see you suggest 35kg, so i understand Crawling do demand a powerful servo, i will keep an eye out for an upgrade then but will start with the 25kg i have already. 

I’ve used that exact servo in my CC-02 multiple times before, mainly because of its incredible “price-to-performance” ratio in previous builds of mine. I’ve since swapped it out due to grinding gears (I believe I stripped whilst rock crawling) for a Flash Hobby 45kg off of Amazon. Precise turning with a lightning-fast response time. No issues, even with 3ish months of weekend abuse climbing trails and swimming in creeks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simalarion said:

spacer.png

Hi similarion - to be fair, I also run those exact same 25Kg servos in a number of my builds (typically with slight smaller tyre diameter than the Rock-Socker has) and they work fine - I was only suggesting that if you're buying one specifically, I now prefer this type - which have a slightly better build quality and more power:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363533434366

However, I'm sure the one you have will work fine too.

Jx

• Thanks 1

Thank you again for helping, i will then start off with the servo i have and do some Crawling before i decide to upgrade, and now i know what i will buy to upgrade.

Im quite sure i will enjoy Crawling as i live on a mountain so i can just go out the door and start, also like to watch when RC cars move «realisticly», im thinking i could bring it on the Family walks up the mountains on the countles pats where many is very steep incl rocks, only thing i wonder now is why i did not think off this before as this will be the only RC-Car the terrain right outside my door is made foor..

Thanks all, buying Rock Socker Stock box only first today, then i will decide what to upgrade later. 

• Like 1

You need to accept something. Nothing Tamiya makes is going to be a decent crawler. If you think they have more personality, and have an affliction to Tamiya then thats fine, amd perfectly acceptable, but it wont be fit to lace the boots of a ‘proper’ Crawler, even the budget Carisma/FTX ones.  A Rock Socker with upgrades is going to run into TRX4/Element/Axial territory, which is insane to me. If you think youll enjoy crawling, and live in crawling environment, I think youd be able to better spend your cash elsewhere. Just my thoughts 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Kpowell911 - yes that is the case as i wrote in first post, right now at least. So if im getting into just Crawling and want a performer only i need to step out off these shoes (im aware), and if thats the case i will come back to you ;), i bought myself a Rock Socker from Tamico just now. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Nothing Tamiya makes is going to be a decent crawler. 

My first crawler is a Carisma. The LHS recommended that to me over more expensive (and better profit?) Tamiyas. He said the same exact thing as you.

• Like 1

You need to define what you want to achieve. Most Tamiya Rock crawlers simply aren’t, at least without spending oodles of cash on them and even then are possibly not as good as say the SC10’s TRX4’s etc. I don’t know the CR01 so I can’t say but too my mind Tamiya’s are at best great trail/off-road trucks but to get competition level crawling look elsewhere .

Thanks for tip @Busdriver and again Happy Birthday.

But yes im aware as i also write a bit about it  in first post, that if i want a proper Crawler i must take off my Tamiya glases :).

So i was «talked out» from buying Hop-Ups in this post as the idea off buying Tamiya in the first place was not for performance but for making it a bit personal, i always get an attachment to the Tamiya’s i «build». And I just started to think about i actually live in the midle off a perfect Crawler terrain (very strange i did not get this idea earlier) so i might get hooked and want a proper Crawler, then i will not buy Hop-Ups to my CR-01 but Go for a clean Crawler as others also suggested. But thanks again.

edit: Just ordered Rock Socker (find the name strange and it have a perv sound to it). I hope we will be happy togheter ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

My first crawler is a Carisma. The LHS recommended that to me over more expensive (and better profit?) Tamiyas. He said the same exact thing as you.

I fully understand the Tamiya charm. Im spending a fortune on  slow, old TL-01s, because of nostalgia and Tamiya Charm. I fully get why youd be loyal to Tamiya. 95% of us are into RC because of Tamiya. 

But performance matters when it comes to crawling. I think you seriously need to think about it. I was very skeptical regarding crawling. my girlfriend (who has a 1:1 Defender that she “crawls”) bought me a TRX4. Theyre absolutely incredible. So capable out of the box and really got me into crawling. I GAURENTEE if I started crawling with something less capable, Id think, well that was a waste of time

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, simalarion said:

edit: Just ordered Rock Socker (find the name strange and it have a perv sound to it). I hope we will be happy togheter ;)

Hah, I agree. Strange name indeed!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I fully understand the Tamiya charm. Im spending a fortune on  slow, old TL-01s, because of nostalgia and Tamiya Charm. I fully get why youd be loyal to Tamiya. 95% of us are into RC because of Tamiya. 

But performance matters when it comes to crawling. I think you seriously need to think about it. I was very skeptical regarding crawling. my girlfriend (who has a 1:1 Defender that she “crawls”) bought me a TRX4. Theyre absolutely incredible. So capable out of the box and really got me into crawling. I GAURENTEE if I started crawling with something less capable, Id think, well that was a waste of time

I think you mis directed your reply. My first (and only so far) crawler is a Carisma SCA-1E, no Tamiya (the Rock Soaker just don't float my boat). Just took it out today for a chassis test run (body not ready yet). Still undecided if I like crawling yet or not, if I do, I may pick up a Gmade Sawback as my second.

Incidentally, my wife thinks that this SCA-1E is too slow. 🤷

16 hours ago, simalarion said:

But yes im aware as i also write a bit about it  in first post, that if i want a proper Crawler i must take off my Tamiya glases :).

So i was «talked out» from buying Hop-Ups in this post as the idea off buying Tamiya in the first place was not for performance but for making it a bit personal, i always get an attachment to the Tamiya’s i «build». And I just started to think about i actually live in the midle off a perfect Crawler terrain (very strange i did not get this idea earlier) so i might get hooked and want a proper Crawler, then i will not buy Hop-Ups to my CR-01 but Go for a clean Crawler as others also suggested. But thanks again.

Jeez people, not everyone wants or needs a competition level kit, sometimes the "Tamiya charm" is enough. If that were the case, we'd all be running B5's and TLR22's instead of DT03's and Wild Ones. Far better performers for similar money, right?  This is the same response in nearly every CR01 thread, and only these threads. I don't understand it. If someone starts a TT02 thread, they don't get bombed with "go buy a Sakura/TC7/take your pick, it's a far better performer for the money, you'll tire of the TT right away" etc.  If we were basing all our purchases based off performance and cost, Tamiya would be in big trouble.  

I'm not going to talk you out of the CR01.... you wanted a crawler, it has to be Tamiya per your post, and that's that. It's the best option given your criteria, and frankly its a fine vehicle for trail use and some occasional rock crawling.  Are there better options out there - certainly, but that's not at all what you were asking. 

Anyway, you don't need to go crazy on hop ups, these trucks are built like tanks. Having said that,  I would recommend better center drive shafts as the Tamiya supplied ones are quite flimsy, and the tires leave quite a bit to be desired. Grip is everything, and there are all kinds of 2.2 options out there that are worlds better than the stock Vise Crawler tires.  They'll get you going no problem, but should be very high up on the eventual upgrade list. 

Also, I believe the RS comes with steel bushings in the axles - I'm not 100%, but I remember reading it somewhere.  They have their uses in the crawler world, especially if you like running in water but personally  I'd spring for bearings every time. Something to think about beforehand as tearing it down to get back to the bushings will take forever. 

Oh, and the supplied red threadlock in the kit I've found to be way too strong - some of my parts were all but glued together. Some basic blue does fine. 

Hope that helps. Enjoy the build, it's a good one. :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yep, I'm with OldSchool' on this one - of course there are 'better' crawlers out there (and fwiw. the best one - both quality/performance and value for money wise - is the Vanquish Phoenix which they've just released as RTR now at $479... I would suggest that every time, or the kit version for $100 less, but that is without any electronics of course) - but equally, there is a charm and a challenge in running a technically 'sub-par' crawler over the same terrain as a more performance orientated crawler might walk over...

I still enjoy running my leaf-sprung crawlers for exactly that reason - and like anything in this hobby, with a few choice upgrades and personal tweaks/modifications, they can provide an even more rewarding driving experience than a higher specification vehicle.

For that reason alone, you've now got me thinking about buying a Rock-Socker [for the chassis] myself! Arrrrrrrgh!

Jx

• Like 2