Novamadcars

Alternative hardware to branded. (What do you use)

I have a couple of project's in mind that I've been collecting parts for and today it come to mind that I will need to buy screws washers spacers  standoffs ect.was wondering what others use instead of tamiya branded? And where from?

My local Ace Hardware carries stainless steel M3 hardware.  I also pick up random screws from my local hobby store.  Lastly, I order them in bulk from eBay.  All stainless steel hex button, both machine and self-threading.

• Like 3

Are you in the UK? Most recently I bought a load of M3 bits and bobs from boltbase. They were good value, have a wide range and seem good quality. Previously I have had a variety of items from accu. Excellent quality but quite a lot more money I think. Both were quite fast. I'll probably stick with boltbase. 

For all my machine screw needs, I use westfield fasteners (UK).  Great stock of stainless stuff.  Sometimes there's an odd size they don't stock, then I'll go to ebay.

For standoffs, shims and spacers - well, I really need to get on and find a stockist, I'm always recycling stuff out of the junk pot and I never have enough.

• Like 2

McMaster-Carr is where I like to buy bulk screws since they are an industrial supplier and have every size and type of screw in any material, but I'm pretty sure they only ship within the US.

• Like 2

I buy my screws from different sources locally and online. For RC aluminum screws, I get them from RCmart. Best alternative to blue aluminum screws are Yeah Racing /YR. Cheaper, just as sturdy, blue shade is very close and have more items insade each pack. Tamiya usually includes 5 pieces only. YR comes in 10 pieces at almost half the price of Tamiya. For my steel and stainless hex screws, I get them from Aliexpress and local shops (if they're available).

I’ve used BoltBase, Kay’s Fasteners and GWR for the majority of my stuff over the years. Also clearance/end of line stuff from model shops is another good source for weirder things like shoulder screws etc. 

@Pablo68 I’ve bought m2.5 of those from eBay before so I’d bet there’ll be some on there or AliExpress. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

Does anyone make a 3mm self tapper with a hex head?

I've had them from Accu before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pablo68 said:

I bought stainless steel hex button heads some from this guy and they worked out well.  But it doesn't look like he has stainless steel at the moment.

https://www.ebay.com/str/semanticsearchltd

He does have countersunk though.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265740435103?hash=item3ddf5d3e9f:g:vskAAOSwjvZjjYk3

Terry

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:33 AM, Pablo68 said:

Kyosho is doing that with their Dirt Master buggy coming out, but I don't see any spares anywhere.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 7:13 AM, Bash said:

McMaster-Carr is where I like to buy bulk screws since they are an industrial supplier and have every size and type of screw in any material, but I'm pretty sure they only ship within the US.

In the USA, this is definitely the place for hardware.  

I also buy some random screws and such off Amazon.. they have collections of washers, nuts bolts, e-clips, etc in our the RC sizes.  Very handy for my styrene projects as it uses all sorts of screws at times.  

On 3/20/2023 at 5:33 AM, Pablo68 said:

Square RC do make them  They are very high quality but expensive.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:33 PM, Pablo68 said:

I buy them on Aliexpress.

They have socket head, button head, countersunk etc with tapping threads. Quality has been fine for the price in my experience.

I get most of my machine thread stuff on there  too, although if I'm in a rush, local dedicated hardware companies like bolt base, kayfast and great Western fastners are all much cheaper than RC branded stuff.

Screenshot_20230327-174016_AliExpress.jpg

• Like 2

For the Netherlands I use microschroeven.nl .

They have a good range of various fasteners in small quantities.

I use Square, and mostly order them from Dai Sakaguchi’s shop. Have tried Hiro Seiko before but found they marr very easily.

Luke

4 hours ago, Novamadcars said:

Thanks for all the replys. I should have stated I'm uk based. 

Then westfield and Accu are your best bets

• Like 1