Sign in to follow this  
Dafino

Looking for advice, want a TT-02 1/10 Zakspeed Capri.

Hello all,

I'm recently getting back into the RC car hobby and would like some advice.

Background:

My brother had a number of Tamiya RC cars when I was young, including a Lunchbox, Grasshopper 2 and a Madcap. I was deemed too young for cars that fast so made do with a Radio Shack Jumbo Van haha. I then moved into scale RC boats and apart from ownership of a Traxxas Slash briefly about 5 years ago, I haven't had an RC car since. However, I am fairly experienced with RC vehicles in general.

I recently saw, and fell in love with, the 1/10 Zakspeed Capri. I want one but have a few observations and questions:

1. My understanding is they are based on a TT-02 chassis, which is a common entry level and good chassis, and allows a number of different bodies to be fitted.

2. For a relative beginner, are there any additional expenses/upgrades after buying one aside from the battery, charger and servo? I know you CAN spend a fortune, but my question is if you NEED to. I am looking at getting a Lunchbox again for nostalgias sake too, but I think the priority is the Capri.

3. Ideally, I want both the WURTH livery and the Jagermeister livery. I have seen an RTR version in the Jagermeister livery for sale so I am considering getting that and then buying a new unpainted WURTH body kit and painting that myself. Ideally at the moment I'd prefer a RTR version purely from a time perspective and having a built one to start with allows me to see how it is put together for future builds. I have seen a used (but still in box) RTR model for $370 that comes with everything except a battery a charger. Is this a good deal? I couldn't see what the MSRP was online and know that the kit comes without battery, charger, transmitter, receiver and steering servo.

4. Finally, if the above is not a good deal, where is the best place to find one? I have considered buying a.n. other TT-02 kit like a Mustang, then getting a Capri body but I know I'd need to buy things like the correct wheels and from past experience I'd rather buy the right complete kit to start with, rather then spending a lot more time and money trying to mix and match.

I will likely have more questions but don;t want to turn this into an essay, thank you in advance!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

The TT-02 is a fantastic kit. It's great for entry level as well as for people with experience who like to tinker. The only really needed hop-ups, frequently recommended are:

• Steel pinion, or at least a hardened aluminum. The included soft aluminum will last about 10 battery packs at best before it damages the spur gear.
  • Oil shocks. Tamiya mini-CVA (54753) work well and are affordable. The car handles quite badly with the included pogos.
  • Ball bearings. Will prevent premature wear of the drivetrain and also enhance performance.
  • Tire foams. Reduce tire wear and increase performance.

I have to say the Capri body is gorgeous. Below the one in my Tamiya garage (built on a TT-01E). A bit more info on my thread:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100089-f104-pro2-minardi-m189-alejos-project-thread/&do=findComment&comment=946573

Capri-3.JPG

Specifically, about the Capri, compared to other TT-02 bodies is that it has a very long front skirt, which makes it quite vulnerable unless you run in very smooth surfaces. Avoiding walls/curbs also helps :). It has wide shafts plus wide wheels on the rear, which combined create huge leverage at the shafts that tends to bend them on impact. All in all, it's not a bad body by any means, just note that if you want to drive it hard, there are more durable body variants. Narrower rally cars with very short front & rear overhangs are generally the most durable.

My thought would be, if you have access to another body, use that one for rougher driving & learning-curve and reserve the Capri for smoother running (e.g. parking lot racing).

Edit: Plazajapan.com has in-stock the wheels & tires needed for the Capri:

• 50548 Mesh wheels (front)
  • 50549 Wide mesh wheels (rear)
  • 50547 Wide slick tires (rear) with foams
  • 50454 Racing slick tires (front). You can use any compound with the fronts, but these have the same compound as the rear slicks. They don't include foams. Semi-slicks 50810 are virtually the same (especially once they wear a bit).
  • 53113 Racing slick inner foams (soft) or 53156 (hard). I normally use hard.
  • Like 1

The Zakspeed Capri body really needs flat roads or the front spoiler will catch on bumps and curbs, painted right it is a good looker.

If you're interested I'll be selling an almost RTR Zakspeed TT-01E soon, I'm just waiting on a spur gear. Previous owner ran it with the aluminum pinion for too long. I like the body but...I'm not a fan of the TT-01E, need to remove about 8 screws to get the motor out.

As for a Lunchbox, they're fun trucks with crazy long run times, they only need bearings to be fun.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Welcome to the forum!

The TT-02 is a fantastic kit. It's great for entry level as well as for people with experience who like to tinker. The only really needed hop-ups, frequently recommended are:

• Steel pinion, or at least a hardened aluminum. The included soft aluminum will last about 10 battery packs at best before it damages the spur gear.
  • Oil shocks. Tamiya mini-CVA (54753) work well and are affordable. The car handles quite badly with the included pogos.
  • Ball bearings. Will prevent premature wear of the drivetrain and also enhance performance.
  • Tire foams. Reduce tire wear and increase performance.

I have to say the Capri body is gorgeous. Below the one in my Tamiya garage (built on a TT-01E). A bit more info on my thread:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100089-f104-pro2-minardi-m189-alejos-project-thread/&do=findComment&comment=946573

Capri-3.JPG

Specifically, about the Capri, compared to other TT-02 bodies is that it has a very long front skirt, which makes it quite vulnerable unless you run in very smooth surfaces. Avoiding walls/curbs also helps :). It has wide shafts plus wide wheels on the rear, which combined create huge leverage at the shafts that tends to bend them on impact. All in all, it's not a bad body by any means, just note that if you want to drive it hard, there are more durable body variants. Narrower rally cars with very short front & rear overhangs are generally the most durable.

My thought would be, if you have access to another body, use that one for rougher driving & learning-curve and reserve the Capri for smoother running (e.g. parking lot racing).

Edit: Plazajapan.com has in-stock the wheels & tires needed for the Capri:

• 50548 Mesh wheels (front)
  • 50549 Wide mesh wheels (rear)
  • 50547 Wide slick tires (rear) with foams
  • 50454 Racing slick tires (front). You can use any compound with the fronts, but these have the same compound as the rear slicks. They don't include foams. Semi-slicks 50810 are virtually the same (especially once they wear a bit).
  • 53113 Racing slick inner foams (soft) or 53156 (hard). I normally use hard.

Lovely picture and lovely build, it makes me want one even more!!!

Thanks for your reply. Good to know that you can start with a few essential mods and enjoy the car. I certainly intended to get another body to practice on and would only use the car on flat large surfaces. I'd probably just admire the Capri mostly and certainly only use it in places I'm confident it wouldn't get damaged. I'm still considering getting another Traxxas slash to abuse too while I get my hand in. I've never had a pavement only RC car before so it would be a new and exciting experience for me. I have considered getting drift wheels/tyres as that looks quite fun.

I'll check out the link, thank you once again.

4 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

The Zakspeed Capri body really needs flat roads or the front spoiler will catch on bumps and curbs, painted right it is a good looker.

If you're interested I'll be selling an almost RTR Zakspeed TT-01E soon, I'm just waiting on a spur gear. Previous owner ran it with the aluminum pinion for too long. I like the body but...I'm not a fan of the TT-01E, need to remove about 8 screws to get the motor out.

As for a Lunchbox, they're fun trucks with crazy long run times, they only need bearings to be fun.

I'd be interested, what would you be looking at for it? Did you want me to drop you a PM?

And yes, the lunchbox is a serious throwback to childhood so I'm looking forward to getting that!

19 minutes ago, Dafino said:

I'll check out the link, thank you once again.

I'd be interested, what would you be looking at for it? Did you want me to drop you a PM?

And yes, the lunchbox is a serious throwback to childhood so I'm looking forward to getting that!

Feel free to PM me, I'll post a for sale ad here once its put together. I'm waiting on a new spur gear before I put it together and sell it.

The Capri body can be fitted to other chassis's not just the TT01/2

IMG_20200524_221703.jpg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, svenb said:

The Capri body can be fitted to other chassis's not just the TT01/2

IMG_20200524_221703.jpg

It'll fit it any touring chassis with a 251mm wheelbase, unfortunately the only options that Im aware of are the TTs older chassis like the TA02.

WOW!!! Where did you get all the other graphic kits?

So does it fit to a, for example, TA-02 chassis? What is the difference?

TA02 with TA01 rear arms =251mm

TT02 type S cut down rear suspension shaft holders

TA04 with SS rear arms(not the front,rear only)

F103GT with a Made by Square -3.mm T-Bar

TB03 with TA04 SS rear arms

TA06 with TA04 SS rear arms(more involved than the TB03)

• Like 1