skom25

CVA shocks orings

Hi,

Which orings from Tamiya will be the best for CVA shocks #54567? Can I ask you for catalogue number?

Standard black are not the best. I will not call my issue as a leak but definitely there is some oil around piston.

Are there any upgrades worth to be made for mentioned shocks?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skom25 said:

Standard black are not the best. I will not call my issue as a leak but definitely there is some oil around piston.

I think it is red o rings 50597 that are better and then there is the blue 42214 that is said to be the best. Oil around your piston is correct considering it is sitting in a tube of oil. Do you mean the position shaft?

• Like 1

Yes, shaft. Sorry, bad word used.

I know that there should be small amount of oil on shaft but In my feeling it is little bit too much. It is visible on shaft and little bit around hole on body.

I’ve started using XRings in my CVAs.  Associated or 1upRacing both work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also recommend using Associated Green Slime on the rings.  Helps with lubrication and leaking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great suggestions @Frog Jumper.

If one is on a budget, I found adding slight more compression on the factory o-rings can prevent leaks.  I used a thin transparency with a hole reamed out in the middle for the shaft.  One can take some generic bubble pack material as well for trial and error. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I think it is red o rings 50597 that are better and then there is the blue 42214 that is said to be the best. Oil around your piston is correct considering it is sitting in a tube of oil. Do you mean the position shaft?

"Blue" are X-Rings. Will they fit without issues?

As always there is error on my LHS site. Catalogue number shows standard orings but in description I see X-rings...

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

"Blue" are X-Rings. Will they fit without issues?

As always there is error on my LHS site. Catalogue number shows standard orings but in description I see X-rings...

I am not sure but I think they will as I had seen them mentioned a few times here. Maybe some one more experienced will confirm with you. I go the Green Slime route as I cannot be bothered to order another item.

2 hours ago, skom25 said:

Any alternative for Green Slime? I do not see it available in my area.

You might try a bike shop and look for a product like Buzzy’s Slick Honey or Noleen SF3.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skom25 said:

I have Rock Shox SRAM Butter.

Try it out.  It can’t hurt.

Green Slime is just a plastic safe seal grease.  Bike shocks are pretty much super-sized versions of RC shocks:  shaft, springs, body, seals.

Green Slime is nice bc it’s sold in $5 tubs bc RCers will only ever use a tiny bit at a time.  No need for a $10 tube.

But if you already have the bike lube, try it out.  You can always disassemble and clean it out of you don’t like it.

Terry

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

RCers will only ever use a tiny bit at a time.

Very true, I am still using the smear on the lid after building over a dozen shocks.

One thing, I came across a mention that Green Slime actually made the shocks worse, any idea about that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Very true, I am still using the smear on the lid after building over a dozen shocks.

One thing, I came across a mention that Green Slime actually made the shocks worse, any idea about that?

I’ve never read anything negative about GS.  Truthfully, this is the only RC forum I read unless I’m after specific info and Google takes me to another forum.  But I’m sure there are Haters out there bc people are people.

In my experience, it helps with the initial stickiness you get when the shocks have been sitting for a while.  They are slicker from the start and seems “silkier” when I squeeze them in my hand.

I’ve never had a CVA leak issue so I can’t comment on it effectiveness as a preventer.

It was $5 at the LHS and I still have 95% of it after doing up all my shocks, so it’s got that going for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

I’ve never read anything negative about GS.  Truthfully, this is the only RC forum I read unless I’m after specific info and Google takes me to another forum.  But I’m sure there are Haters out there bc people are people.

In my experience, it helps with the initial stickiness you get when the shocks have been sitting for a while.  They are slicker from the start and seems “silkier” when I squeeze them in my hand.

I’ve never had a CVA leak issue so I can’t comment on it effectiveness as a preventer.

It was $5 at the LHS and I still have 95% of it after doing up all my shocks, so it’s got that going for it.

This, ive used a few different versions of shock “slime” and the only one i like better than AE green is the 1up racing blue. Mostly as its a good multi purpose option for diff seal o rings as well.

as for what it does, iirc it helps keep the orings in good condition, arms against hydrostatic lock and due to its viscosity also helps keep the oil where it should be.

cheaper versions tend to break down easily and mix with the oil.

for me the TRF X-rings are an excellent purchase, long lasting and double the sealing points due to it contacting the position twice for each ring, yet with no extra drag.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, matisse said:

for me the TRF X-rings are an excellent purchase, long lasting and double the sealing points due to it contacting the position twice for each ring, yet with no extra drag.

I too use X-rings often.   One thing I found though is when they fail they fail catastrophically..  like the entire oil dumps out.  I had this happen on a few of my cars where I found a puddle of oil under all four corners.   It could be from lack of use as some of my cars sit for a very long time before they get driven.  Since them I occasionally compress the dampers to kind of soak them with the damper oil inside their chambers.  Seems to help..

• Like 2

I bought red ones. Cheap, so I will just try.

I found that after change from 800/100 to 400 oil, there is significantly less oil outside. It seems that thick oil caused pressure and orings leaked a bit. At least I think so.

• Like 1

@Frog Jumper pretty much covered what I would have said...

Green Slime (or Team Losi equivalent), is actually good value. Consider this, I've been using the same 0.2oz tube for 3 years! And im certainly not alone. 

If you really have to pay TRF prices, go ahead. But Team Associated X-Rings have been leak free in my Shocks in 7 separate vehicles for between 2 and 7 years! 🤔 💭 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 5:53 AM, skom25 said:

I bought red ones. Cheap, so I will just try.

I found that after change from 800/100 to 400 oil, there is significantly less oil outside. It seems that thick oil caused pressure and orings leaked a bit. At least I think so.

I've started to notice the same. Rebuilt shocks twice thinking I was missing something.
Although not too thick, I brought the rear oil weight on my DT03 down from 575 (FT) to 516 (Losi) cst and it seems to help the problem.
After wondering for awhile, I'm starting to learn where the differences in oil weights become noticeable (e g. 400 vs. 425, 575 vs. 516).
I did go with red tamiya o-rings w/green slime, and left the black ones for when I'm in a pinch.