RC_FunLand

Fastest Off-road RC You’ve Ever Owned?

Hi,

Just curious- how fast is your fastest off-roader? I’m not talking crawlers, but the yard, sand, mud, gravel bashers. It would be cool if we turned this into a discussion thread in which we stated our most accomplished buggy, as well the thought process/creative designs behind that idea.

Mine is a Tamiya Hotshot that runs 48 mph top speed, ripping through anything that dared to cross its path.

photo shows the aftermath of yesterday’s mud/dust run.

C74C2C34-C65D-4E03-A337-E1C46677A067.thumb.jpeg.a1808651a6232caa90d5c3a4ea3b5244.jpeg

Ideas for such a fast and “controllable ( :lol: )” system stemmed from me not having a race car any kind. My TT-02 is more conservative, only reaching a meager top speed of 27mph on 13.5T brushless, as well as my DT-03. So, I decided to wing it and grab myself a Hobbywing Quicrun 8.5T 5750kV motor, pairing it with the complementary Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120 ESC. Being my first ever “speed” build, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised to see such positive results.

Now, your guys’ turns! ;)

• Like 2

Not Tamiya but my Losi Baja f150 Raptor is pretty darn quick. It can also cope with some pretty rough ground at speed. Amazing suspension.

• Like 1

When you said off-road, do you only mean buggy or any offroaders? Monster trucks? Rally cars?

45 minutes ago, RC_FunLand said:

My TT-02 is more conservative, only reaching a meager top speed of 27mph on 13.5T brushless

Since you brought this up...

MST TCR-M (FF)

5x2n2Dd.jpg

3R M4

7w4vvZb.jpg

Both silver cans.

• Like 2

My DT02 will do around 30mph with a 15t Reedy Radon and stadium truck wheels, but I can't run it like that because the gearing is way too tall and I lose steering due to brownout.

There's a good list going here if you want to make it official:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101474-tamiyaclub-official-top-10-fastest-rcers-part-3

• Like 1

I've had 55 mph out of a TD2 with a 5.5T motor and 120 amp ESC on grass, could probably get quite a bit more running on tarmac and fiddling with the gearing.

I've no idea how fast my other buggies are - I would think my B6.4 is quickest, bit I've not timed timed it yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

When you said off-road, do you only mean buggy or any offroaders? Monster trucks? Rally cars?

Since you brought this up...

MST TCR-M (FF)

5x2n2Dd.jpg

3R M4

7w4vvZb.jpg

Both silver cans.

Now THAT is an impressive feat! How the badword did you manage to pull it off???

Fast enough to break stuff, which is why I don't bother with speed any more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RC_FunLand said:

Now THAT is an impressive feat! How the badword did you manage to pull it off???

Super lightweight chassis for the first, insane gearing for the second.

MST TCR-M - 75/18 X 1 = FDR 4.17

3R M4 - 60/50 X 2 = FDR 2.4 (you can actually see the massive pinion vs the tiny spur in the picture)

The MST is now on a more reasonable FDR of 5 as I had converted it to be a twin motor 4WD monster MTC and using the rear motor mount, I can only use a 15T pinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Fast enough to break stuff, which is why I don't bother with speed any more.

I break stuff, but I buy stuff to fix it. I love speeeeeed!!! 

I recently bought an Arrma Kraton 6s, which will do 60mph on road with the optional gearing (allegedly). It is insanely fast, but not actually that much fun. I've driven it twice and will be selling it, as I would rather have a Rere Boomerang to blast around the lane at home, instead of a missile that I am sure will end up in pieces!

• Like 2

That's without doubt my Kyosho Burns powered by an O.S. Max 21 EX-B - the heftyest motor that Norwegian Modellers had in stock in 1992.. I ranMessaging1678018516935.thumb.jpg.e1c2dbe491f4df7a021000be06ba92f8.jpgMessaging1678018523800.jpg.46a2649b339251443e1a20daad62f3f8.jpg it last time in 2008 or something like that, so there was no GPS-meter or outdated smartohone to strap on and messure the speed. It is blistering fast, I have nothing comparable to this date and it was exhausting to run. After one tank my head was about to implode. 

Compared with the nuclear powerplant RTR's of today it is probably pretty lame,  though. 

• Like 1

58mph Traxxas Maxx on 6S. Just on a grass field. 

I suspect my X Maxx or XRT are faster, as the bigger and heavier the more stable it seems but Ive not GPS’d them

• Like 1

I have a brushless Rustler 2WD with a "Queens Hobby" setup in it, unfortunately all of that power tends to make its ancient design spin out more than move fast! 

• Like 1