Busdriver

Purpose of Kickup?

Title says it all. Buggies have but Touring cars etc don’t. Why’s that? What does it achieve?…………….

28 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

What does it achieve?

Tamiya manuals are seriously bad in explaining what all those tuning 'holes' are for and what their effects are. I learnt more from the 64 page manual of my LRP than anywhere else (yes there is online but nothing beats reading a book), so here is what it says about kickup.

rYwIHqZ.jpg

• Like 2

Ok I get that but why does that work for a buggy and not a touring car?

35 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

tuning 'holes'

Really? I hadnt noticed. Guess that is tonights bed time reading. "Tuning Holes 101"

1 hour ago, Busdriver said:

Ok I get that but why does that work for a buggy and not a touring car?

My guess is as @Twinfan mentioned, due to the jumps/off road element of a buggy? Allow it to take slope or uneven ground better?

32 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

Really? I hadnt noticed. Guess that is tonights bed time reading. "Tuning Holes 101"

Kamasutra for RC!

• Haha 1

For 2WD buggies they handle bumps a lot better with kickup - it's also a form of caster adjustment.

You note that touring cars don't have a lot, it's worth pointing out that neither do 4WD buggies which would probably average about 6 degrees of kickup

Edit: Also improves on power steering for 2WD

• Like 3

I always thought that "kickup" was about helping an RC ride over grass and bumps, for 2wd it helps "kickup" the front throwing traction back to the driven wheels.

Touring cars don't need it since they're intended for on-road use, rally cars can benefit from it though.

• Like 1

Afaik kick up and caster angle are intrinsically linked, more kick up = more caster = less snappy turn in.

if you think about flat pan cars, many of them are 4wd and you can have similar effects on the steering using the front diff/spool.  Caster/kick up adjustment re helps on 2wd off road.

https://site.petitrc.com/reglages/BuggySetupGuide.pdf

• Like 2

It is at least a bit to do with landing from a jump, it helps maintain steering control on landing (think of the buggy as it touches down from a jump, angled up enough for the kickup to be level-ish).

Not needed for onroad cars as they aren't doing jumps (usually, unless you are being naughty).

• Like 2

Kickup makes the vehicle transfer weight under braking more easily. You want this on a 2WD buggy to get the front to grip up on turn in. It does also ride bumps better. If you think about a car hitting a bump at speed, the bump is kind of a small ramp with an angle to it's face. If you match the front wheel path more closely to that bump angle, it will move out of the way more easily. You don't have as much on 4WD drive cars mainly because a lot of kickup would cause trouble in the 4WD system as the front wheels would try to wind up the prop shaft. 4WD buggies have as much as they can get away with. 

On touring cars, riding the bumps and weight transfer are less of an issue. That said, one of my favourite touring cars is the FF01, which has 3 degrees of front kick up. This must encourage weight transfer under braking to keep load pinned on those driven front wheels.

• Like 5

Sorry, may have missed something. What is Kickup? That's new to me. 

1 hour ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Sorry, may have missed something. What is Kickup? That's new to me. 

Will this help?

bdsFECn.png

• Like 3

For onroad you can actually have some 'Kick up'. It is usually referred to as pro-dive.. It will only be a very small amount that it is raised by (Usually adding shims under the front suspension block). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1