Afternoon all,

I've just finished building my Land Rover Defender CC-02S and the tyres are terrible.

I've got a Carisma SCA-1E Range Rover and the stock tyres and replacement ones I bought have much more grip.

The Tamiya Land Rover Defender tyres have no grip and just spin and skid instead of grip and climb.

What's the best tyres to replace them with?

Thanks 

• Like 1

I really like the MST KM tires. 90mm tall and nice and soft, they fit nicely under Tamiya bodies. $19ish a pair is pretty reasonable too. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 2:08 PM, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I really like the MST KM tires. 90mm tall and nice and soft, they fit nicely under Tamiya bodies. $19ish a pair is pretty reasonable too. 

Thanks I can't seem to find them over here in the UK shops.

Does anyone know where I can get Tamiya 300054598 tyres in the UK or the suggested MST KM tyres?

For MST products, your best bet is HK sellers like AT or RCM. Quite hard to find in the UK.

• Like 1

Find some nice metal beadlocks and tires of your choice.  You’ll want the extra weight down low and you’ll want real tires.

Im using SSD 1.9 beadlocks with Pitbull Rock Beast XORs.

6cn5Olt.jpg

Terry

• Like 2

Those wheels/tire look great @Frog Jumper. They look quite a bit bigger. I imagine they increase the CC02's rough terrain capabilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saito2 said:

Those wheels/tire look great @Frog Jumper. They look quite a bit bigger. I imagine they increase the CC02's rough terrain capabilities.

They are much more capable than the 1.55 Rock Beasts I had on there before.  I think they are a touch too big, but thats better than a touch too small I guess…

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 1:39 AM, Frog Jumper said:

They are much more capable than the 1.55 Rock Beasts I had on there before.  I think they are a touch too big, but thats better than a touch too small I guess…

Thanks for the suggestion, have you had to raise the suspension to stop the body rubbing?  

I was looking for a tyre which will allow the suspension to be set at stockish height, so tyres very similar to the stock size.  

On 4/17/2023 at 5:37 PM, Andylincs said:

MST dealers in uk are driftmanjirc and slide dynamics. They’re primarily drift rc shops but they also stock all the mst crawler parts/chassis etc. 

https://www.driftmanjirc.com/collections/rc-crawlers/products/rc-crawler-tires-mst-km-crawler-tire-30x90x1-9-soft-compound-831006

Thanks, those look like the size i was after to fit without suspension adjustment and no body rubbing.

1 hour ago, DantheRSman said:

Thanks for the suggestion, have you had to raise the suspension to stop the body rubbing?  

I was looking for a tyre which will allow the suspension to be set at stockish height, so tyres very similar to the normal size.  

I’m able to mount the body really low and I only rub at extreme flex or steering angle.

Looking back at my 1.55s and 1.9s, I think the 1.7s would have been perfect for me as far as looks.  Unfortunately Pit Bill doesn’t make a Rock Beast in that size.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 1:26 PM, Frog Jumper said:

I’m able to mount the body really low and I only rub at extreme flex or steering angle.

Looking back at my 1.55s and 1.9s, I think the 1.7s would have been perfect for me as far as looks.  Unfortunately Pit Bill doesn’t make a Rock Beast in that size.

Thanks for the advice. I bought some MST tyres.

I finally took the rig to a proper really steep hillside woods with gnarly roots n plenty of vegetation to test it for well over a mile. It didn't perform as well as my Carisma Sca-1e Range Rover. 

So am planning on raising the ride height and getting the same size tyres as the Carisma Range Rover. 

However what dampers would you recommend for the ride height?

What's on the rig in the pic?

4 hours ago, DantheRSman said:

Thanks for the advice. I bought some MST tyres.

I finally took the rig to a proper really steep hillside woods with gnarly roots n plenty of vegetation to test it for well over a mile. It didn't perform as well as my Carisma Sca-1e Range Rover. 

So am planning on raising the ride height and getting the same size tyres as the Carisma Range Rover. 

However what dampers would you recommend for the ride height?

What's on the rig in the pic?

Yeah Racing Desert Lizards 100mm.  Though I did buy the parts to make a 90mm set (shorter piston shaft) and combined them to make a 95mm set.

Terry

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 2:35 PM, Frog Jumper said:

Yeah Racing Desert Lizards 100mm.  Though I did buy the parts to make a 90mm set (shorter piston shaft) and combined them to make a 95mm set.

Terry

Terry...

Didn't you do the axle mounted servo mod, like I did? I'm asking because 100mm shocks with that front 4-link/CMS combo would be a disaster with longer shocks! 😮

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Terry...

Didn't you do the axle mounted servo mod, like I did? I'm asking because 100mm shocks with that front 4-link/CMS combo would be a disaster with longer shocks! 😮

Yes, I did the axle mounted servo.

Can you explain more???

Thanks,

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

Yes, I did the axle mounted servo.

Can you explain more???

Thanks,

Terry

You had said you used 100mm shocks.... but I read again, and saw that you shortened the stroke to 90mm....

But the stock shocks are 75mm. Not a problem with our axle mounted servos, but if someone tries it with the stock chassis mounted servo (CMS) and 4-link front suspension (Tamiya's BIG mistake!), a longer shock will really jack things up!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 5:39 PM, Frog Jumper said:

I'm going to try 1.55" 98mm Pro-Line fake Hyrax on mine...  Personal preference, I just like the 1.55s on the "true 1/10th scale" Tamiya trucks. 

As opposed to the 1/8th scale Axial and Traxxass, that they claim "1/10th scale".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I'm going to try 1.55" 98mm Pro-Line fake Hyrax on mine...  Personal preference, I just like the 1.55s on the "true 1/10th scale" Tamiya trucks. 

As opposed to the 1/8th scale Axial and Traxxass, that they claim "1/10th scale".

The 1.55s are more size appropriate, but in the end i guess it depends on the tire you run.

In the end I decided that the oversized look was worth the fact that the car did so much better on my usual driving course with the bigger tires.

thanks for the thoughts.

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

The 1.55s are more size appropriate, but in the end i guess it depends on the tire you run.

In the end I decided that the oversized look was worth the fact that the car did so much better on my usual driving course with the bigger tires.

thanks for the thoughts.

Terry

Of course! The only rule in a hobby is.... YOU make the rules!! I'm positive your CC-02 can outclimb anything mine can.... 

But that's why I have a highly modified, brushless Axial Wraith!! 😀 My "cheater" Rig! 9 years old, and still whips SCX-10 III and anything Traxxass comes up with! 🥵🤣😂😜

Have Fun! That's the only hard fast rule.

• Like 1