newforestpony

maxxum ff run, gather dust of sell

Afternoon, so I’ve finally got the RC bug back after getting my old hornet and Maxxum ff out of storage. The Maxxum runs (except the old receiver needs a new antenna and goes out of range after a few meters) but needs a new shell, tyres and electrics. The question is whether I run the Maxxum or restore to keep.. the parts don’t seem to be that easy to get and the car is in fairly good condition! I’d love a runner so I can race around with my sons Tamiyas’. Anyone else have experience with running old Kysho’s and have advice on running, keeping or even selling? 

thanks 🙏🏼 

58F51219-1D51-4AE0-8793-8E11A5D07293.jpeg

C1DE1CF9-5451-4D05-B4BD-F723CF0958CE.jpeg

I would restore it and keep it as part of Kogawa-san's history.. I think he mentioned it was one of his flop cars which might sound negative, but from a collector's point of view, such rare cars are the ones that can hold unique value.  Seemed the car did well in high traction, but was more an experiment to see how FWD held up to RWD cars on the track.

First, welcome! That's a great example of a fairly rare model you've got there. You're right; parts are going to be almost impossible to source. Kyosho buggies of that era are fairly robust, as long as you stick with sane levels of power (please please do not put a brushless motor in that car) and drive it with respect. But if something does break, you're going to have a tough time fixing it.

If it were me, I'd clean it up and keep it as-is, as a part of your personal history, and look for a new re-release kit to run. The Maxxum hasn't been re-released, but the entire Optima series has been (the 4WD cars from which the Maxxum was derived) and Tamiya of course has re-released half of their back catalog. Lots of good choices for a trip down memory lane, without the hassle of brittle 35-year-old plastic and unobtainium replacement parts.

• Like 1

Thanks @Willy iine @markbt73 I’m definitely leaning that way! Restore and take it out once in a while to relive my youth! The Le Mans motor still runs really well and I’ll keep in brushless and intact!! As you say there are plenty of amazing kits out there - so many re-releases that I can have as a runner!  

• Like 1

If it was mine, I'd put it on the shelf as is, especially if you built and painted it, and get something modern for bashing (something you can cheaply and easily get spares for)

I had one, which wasn't from my youth (so I had no connection with it) , ran it once ,with modern radio and 1060 esc, then sold it. Just couldn't relax driving it, as I knew if I broke anything, I'd need to sell internal organs, to get it back running again..

• Haha 1

@Wooders28 yes, I built and painted it when I was 13 (did a lot of paper rounds to buy it) so it would be a very hard sell. The quality of the finish leaves a LOT to be desired so I have ordered a new shell and hopefully I will do a better job the 2nd time round 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, newforestpony said:

@Wooders28 yes, I built and painted it when I was 13 (did a lot of paper rounds to buy it) so it would be a very hard sell. The quality of the finish leaves a LOT to be desired so I have ordered a new shell and hopefully I will do a better job the 2nd time round 

Loads of memory's 👌

I'd leave as is, but if you've got another, you can compare how well at painting you are these days🙄😛

• Like 1

#sandkil on Instagram did a nice restore.. I think he completed it today/yesterday..  check it out if you'd like.  :D

Kogawa-san mentioned it was the last car he designed before leaving AutoModel, the contracted design company under Kyosho at the time. 

• Thanks 1

Oh thanks for the heads up.. I’ll definitely take a look! I’ve just ordered a turbo scorpion so I can save the Maxxum for the shelf above my desk!! 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, newforestpony said:

Oh thanks for the heads up.. I’ll definitely take a look! I’ve just ordered a turbo scorpion so I can save the Maxxum for the shelf above my desk!! 

I love the TurboScorpion !

IMG_2023-3-8-192725.jpg.f1d9a838ab4a3c1e992f59a10b153fc5.jpgIMG_2023-3-13-183911.jpg.39fd5dee69555f13ebc7db52dd4c1672.jpg

• Like 1

They are good looking buggies! That orange one is a beaut. I’m thinking blue / pink for mine.  That’s one awesome collection! 

• Like 1

The re-re Scorpion is a gem of a car. I have the non-Turbo version, and I thoroughly enjoyed the build, and it's an excellent runner as well. Good choice.

• Like 1

Also finished the turbo scorpion 🦂 (but tyres keep falling off when it runs - the super glue has to come out) 

2D5E35D3-15AA-4F1E-8F3A-EE0DE043F40F.jpeg

Edited by newforestpony
Added photo
  • Like 2