I didn´t want this TA03. It came to me by.... fate ? 

It all started when a Tamiya 58278 appeared on ebay with numerous aluminium parts. All for 180.- buy now. The alu parts were "worth" that alone, so i bought.
I exchanged those to plastic and sold the 58278 on on ebay kleinanzeigen, for a fair 110.-.
The car had never appealed to me. I´m a kid of the late 80s and 90s, so I didn´t get the hype with the 83 car. Also the proportions, the hard body, a bit toyish impression, no performance and lightweight, etc...... nothing I ever considered.

THEN the buyer of the car didn´t like it. He said it´s not alright, bla bla bla.. Friendly as I am, I just took it back, although I probably wasn´t obliged to do so at all. The buyer did have 1:1 Lancias but probably not my TA03 knowledge.

MEANWHILE, I had done some research on the car (synonym for I went into the rabbithole)..... These were the links that especially impressed me. There are many more, but after watchin those, I was hooked.
THAT sound of this car is so insane and special. The Giugaro styling which seems really functional and not at all finicky or artificial. It is like a F40 / Esprit for Rallying.

Especially the look in that first link impressed me - A Modern restoration of a retro car, with some touches that make it nicer than back in the day - and not all the same martini
(gorgeous, yes, but my eyes have become bored by it really much). So this was what I was going to do with it:

A QUICK RESTO MOD. Haha.

spacer.png

Lancia 037 VOLTA returns - Restoration by Andrea Chiavenuto

Lancia - WINNING (by Centro Storico Fiat / Gianpaolo Tescari) 1983/84

Lancia 037 - Sounds

Lancia 037 vs. Audi Quattro on Grand Tour - The last RWD to win the World Rally Title - Most titanic battle ever according to Clarkson

• Like 6

Started by putting my Ta03 RS TRF-ish from a 911 GT2 under it - you can see the offsets are a topic. The body is quite narrow. Which is one part of the often toyish look.

012iiga.jpg

I don´t like tubs. So first things first, I designed a Ta03 RS Rally carbon deck. Less holes for less dust and some extra mounting holes for a possible later dust curtain.

02aye72.jpg

03rfdze.jpg

I like to put some special slots into my battery holders, so I can fix the speedo cables with some velcro ribbon, going in the right direction of the cables:

04g1ekm.jpg

05hzcct.jpg

Here you can see a variety in battery mounting positions for setup later

06mufxq.jpg

• Like 8

Lets start by restoring the body.
The pre-owner hadnt painted it, but stickered it, so with the yellowing white plastic, it couldnt be left like that.
THe helmets had been painted with some terrible stuff...

08jpipm.jpg

I made some extra openings

097gf66.jpg

and closed the grill extra headlight mounts, because the look i wanted was without the additional light cluster.

10hminw.jpg

12t4eo7.jpg

14sxfh2.jpg

Also I think "inside black" is important...

13paf7x.jpg

1530eog.jpg

16fwfxs.jpg

172fcqs.jpgOh and not to forget, I put another lip on the front...

• Like 9

Sticker time pt. 1 ! .... For this build I chose something else: water transfer decals. They have nearly zero thickness and can be laquered over; as I´m painting the outside anyway, this seems convenient. ANd no dust will get under the sticker edges !

18bjfnx.jpg

194cila.jpg

205eiil.jpg

21bldk0.jpg

• Like 8

2261fiv.jpg

What I especially like about the restoration by Andrea Chiavenuto in contrast to the old state of the car was the black window trim. So much more aesthetic in my eyes.

238id6b.jpg

24mifls.jpg

25whi61.jpg

26knetw.jpg

27abcvy.jpg

28m2f1a.jpg

• Like 9

Now on to something that REALLY COULD NOT BE LEFT LIKE THAT:
The car is a pure-bred mid-engined racing car. YOU CANNOT look through the rear window and see a spare tire and belts ! 

29v9ev5.jpg

I thought about using a Demi WOrks fake engine (4-cyl) - later I discovered exactly this has been done before on TC;
First I thought this would fit into the "vacuum forming look" of the cockpit; but I ended up not using it anyway because the proportions were off.
If anyone has a use for it, please pm me; just postage to the UK is not a good idea for me anymore sadly...

304idlt.jpg

SO I started mocking something up:

31ghc2e.jpg

A few hours later:

32cnfj6.jpg

33yudpf.jpg

..and a exhaust and a gearbox when we´re printing something anyway... and i planned in a hole to mount the gearbox on the chassis plate...

34gbdw3.jpg

• Like 9

The (first) parts:

35ssc1e.jpg

And a shoutout to a really good partner in this project: I got the parts from KOLBASA Design+Prototyping, excellent service and conditions. Can only recommend !
https://www.design-prototype.de/

36i5fmg.jpg

and this is what the mounting hole was for....

37p3fgw.jpg

38csdu1.jpg

Too low though... gotta change... what about the exhaust ?

39qtfo9.jpg

.... Raised the gearbox with a spacer:

40b4d8r.jpg

For that, I had to cut/grind the rear gearbox in an unimportant area below the sabilizer mount:

41uscwa.jpg

42y2ev8.jpg

MUCH better now ! and protected in jumps and bottoming outs - by the CF plate.

• Like 12

By the way, YES, the original is RWD. I thought about converting the model to RWD, too. Be it with a one way the other way round, so I have 2WD drive and 4WD braking, or just leaving the belt away.
But from my experience with rallying RCs, this is not soo much fun and has nearly zero traction.
SO I went with a torque splitter unit; Normally you have to have 30T for a TA03R /S in total, meaning 14T belt pinion in the back and 16T in the front , for a LITTLE rear bias.
THe  drifters back in the day also did 30T, but more extreme, 10T in the back and 20T in the front or so - you know what i mean;

ANyway, with the chassis plate tolerances and maybe a slacky belt, I managed to comfortably fit 17T in the front and 14T in the back - meaning 31 total... SO it is even a little more close to a 2WD than with the normal torque splitter unit. We´ll see how it drives and if I go back to 16/14 with a new belt or what... we´ll see...

• Like 5

MOCK UP

43qmepz.jpg

44aucyx.jpg

The old cockpit was my test mule.... with the thick layers of brush strokes on it, I didn´t have major issues cutting it up.

by the way; the dashboard COULD NOT BE LEFT LIKE THAT. The original 037 dashboard looks totally different (angular)

45oxf10.jpg

https://srtartblog.files.wordpress.com/2020/11/pictures_lancia_rally-037_1982_4.jpg

4655d5d.jpg

more MOCK UPs

47uzinm.jpg

48gmeq7.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, GermanTA03Guy said:

And a shoutout to a really good partner in this project: I got the parts from KOLBASA Design+Prototyping, excellent service and conditions. Can only recommend !
https://www.design-prototype.de/

Fantastic work! Did they also cut the CF plate or just do the 3D printing?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FuzzyFlynn said:

Fantastic work! Did they also cut the CF plate or just do the 3D printing?

Thanks ! Just the 3d printing. The cnc milling of the plates was done by carbon-posten.de - also very good work for fair prices.  

Fantastic stuff!

Would it be really rude to ask for your 2D CAD drawing of the Battery Plate? I was literally about to draw one up myself later on today!

The magic words

TA03 and GROUP B

👍🏻

Looks brilliant well done

• Like 1

Just wow! This is a fantastic project and fantastic work with SolidWorks to create the engine bay. Then also doing the custom work on the cockpit... this would have been too much for my patience :lol:

Great! 

• Thanks 1

Like everyone said, fantastic! Love the details especially the mock up engine bay. Also the full CF chassis is stunning.

Great work!

• Thanks 1

Hey guys thank you for all the nice comments, I´m overwhelmed :) But I am indeed also really satisfied with the project. So again, thankyou for the kind reception :)

THe next step looks not soo spectacular but I can tell you, it cost me some sleepless nights to get the "construction" for the angles right, both in my head and in the plastics.

These angled side parts that have to exactly meet the inside of the body, as well as having the right angle for the firewall with the window... .. but I made it successfully

54roev4.jpg

551sdbm.jpg

And always the test fitting... as the craftsmen say, better measure twice and cut once, than the other way round :D

56j5fqi.jpg

Now some eye candy with the painted engine block. THose revell emaille colors are so good and opaque. Their flow characteristics are great.
I much prefer them to the tamiya XF paints. Which are much too big for my needs anyway. And they smell worse.

572feia.jpg

58wjdk7.jpg

59q5fb2.jpg

6082eio.jpg

• Like 7

Gotta throw in some LEGO :)

Also by now i have totally replaced the original cockpit front end. I hadnt planned to do that but getting the straight shapes meet the curvy cockpit form was challenging. Happy with how i could solve that.

61q8c3s.jpg

and a proportion check

61_1ggc2i.jpg

61_279czv.jpg

yup looking good ...

• Like 4