...stickers... i love stickers ....

but dont overlook what I did to the rollcage/subframe joints :)

62e2fbo.jpg

and paint... i love paint...

63l8fax.jpg

647edqe.jpg

653gd0a.jpg

which one to choose ?

• Like 3

I decided to recreate my old karting gloves from bitd. Sharing this I notice how deep down the rabbit hole I am right now.
Does it have to do with all the brush cleaner ?

66fhe99.jpg

66_18gd55.jpg

67ejiuk.jpg

68wgebh.jpg

THe original car has these silver mounts for the dashboard. I made  helpful guidelines to place the dots. Things like These mounts or the wobbly dashboard look really funny on the race car and not even as straight as my scale model :D And those cars looked sketchy as badword in some places. Which I find really amusing. Rumors say that Lancia was once caught for having a rollcage made out of cardboard (to save weight) .... Walter Roehrls friends and family told him not to drive for Lancia because it crumbles apart in a crash. He said he was not planning to crash.

69rifoy.jpg

• Like 1

removing the masking tape from the firewall to reveal the window was a similar feeling to removing the wrap of a lexan body.

70ascdi.jpg

71qtfws.jpg

7295i81.jpg

by now, the little sparco logos on the gloves have joined.

73fnd27.jpg

745zde1.jpg

This rally timer can be seen in a video:

• Like 5

Another important thing is the right steering wheel:

75_1ircev.jpg

76w4ecr.jpg

..they call it marriage:

77qtiyb.jpg

78esie4.jpg

79czfa6.jpg

I thought about recreating the ignition wires, but I didn´t want to - I thought it might look more scale if done excellently, but it might also look more like high school art class and I really had no motivation to do the wiring at this point. Most important for me was the main volumes; and also the graphics. although I did make some piping. For me it was alright like this - everyone has their priorities.

• Like 3

First try for the rear mesh lettering - too big; I had mismeasured the correct size for the vinyl cut mask. Funnily on real pictures I saw they had the same thing and just painted over the vertical struts.

But after a night´s sleep I didn´t want to leave it like that, considering how far I had gone with other areas.

80ucen0.jpg

So here is the second try:

81jeexq.jpg

821efcx.jpg

much better !

and a good basis to carry on, in this case with the HLR logo:

8362evr.jpg

The same had happened on the front, by the way.. ANd it just bugged me..

83_129dme.jpg

• Like 4

Now for something trick again which I am really proud of tbh:

Mockup for the exhaust - at first I wanted to use this, but then OCD kicked in...

84kycsb.jpg

So I did it properly:

85ccelz.jpg

86hncwp.jpg

THe nice thing is, it is neatly screwed into existing screw holes, can fit a stabilizer as well and at the same time acts as a stabilizer holder, like the old 53312 carbon stabilizer support :)

AND... you see it through the rear mesh in the right light :)

• Like 5

Looking great, you have way more patience (and better eyesight) than me!

Thanks for sending over the battery plate. I couldn't get it working properly in the right format, but managed to read the dimensions accurately enough to draw one from your template :D

• Like 2

NExt stop: Wheels.....  I testfitted them (again). Let´s see:

87c3eio.jpg

and at this point - at the latest - I thought: THey ruin the whole car. It looks like an elephant on rollerskates. Especially because the 037 EMinence doesn´t have the Speedline 16 inch wheels which the Tamiya wheels from 58278 depict, but some special 15 inch rims with bigger cross section / sidewall tires.

spacer.png

Luckily, I found something like that in so called "VIntage VTA wheels/tires" - in this case from HPI. Really happy about that, as even the tire tread fits this car a lot better than the tamiya semi slicks x pattern tires:

88jlfjx.jpg

already better. See the comparison picture:

90wrfo9.jpg

But the design is off. I dont want steel rims. It should look like this:

spacer.pngspacer.png

So I hade to build them myself - with CAD and again the help of Peter Kolbasa from Kolbasa Design+Prototyping, who was really helpful in terms of e.g. adjusting the wheel hexes to a size where everything fits even with the shrinkage from the process. He provided unequalled service, thank you for that again !

94dhdqq.jpg

91b0dic.jpg

See the difference - a huge improvement in my book for the overall look !

95dkf9b.jpg

97pnc1k.jpg

98l8eca.jpg

by the way, front is -1mm offset, rear is +1mm offset. It would be good to go as narrow as possible on the front, but there comes a point (too soon) where the turnbuckles for the steering will scratch on the wheels unfortunately....

• Like 7

Maybe its just me, but when I see this shell I can only think of D'Artagnan (or  Dogtagnan if you remember it) and Cardinal Richelieu, the red eminence!

• Haha 2

Hi, yea thats just you. :D

j.k. yea first i found the sponsor Name strange, too. I had watched the 037 videos and thought about another livery like that, in red and white, maybe bastos, maybe pvs (which has been done before nicely by "otaka"), maybe omp or a custom livery. Or take the livery and put a different sponsor on. But then i Fell in love with the restoration of Andrea chiavenuto so much - who does other great cars that i love like the r390 gt1, too - and i wanted to respect both the builder and the car, that i wanted to stay really true to the original. I also showed These guys - builder Andrea chiavenuto and the owner/driver Erik comas the result (only online up to now) and they approved and applauded, for which i can tell you im absolutely over the moon. I watched Erik race in f1 in a blue ligier v12 as a child.

that would not have been the same, had i just replaced the brand name by my liking. And i had looked at the original so intensely that every other sponsor would have looked odd to me.

AND i found something else very fitting: eminence is a french manufacturer/Brand of men's underwear. And i found that so nicely fitting for a group b car, where u really need New underwear. I even thought about naming the thread something like "brown stripes in your undies" ... but i did manage to hold myself back from that as i want to be able to send interested folks the link, too ;)

• Like 2

...and to finalize it and round it up a last set of exterior shots:

a_01bkevf.jpg

a_02b5il5.jpg

g_02pffvo.jpg

k_09o8c3r.jpg

e_02rteiy.jpg

e_03s0d02.jpg

Well, for now that´s it. Next thing is to fit all the electronics, and then I´ll post again when I have some driving pics.

Thanks for watching and commenting, feel free to discuss or ask -  it´s appreciated !

• Like 7

On 3/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, GermanTA03Guy said:

NExt stop: Wheels.....  I testfitted them (again). Let´s see:

87c3eio.jpg

and at this point - at the latest - I thought: THey ruin the whole car. It looks like an elephant on rollerskates. Especially because the 037 EMinence doesn´t have the Speedline 16 inch wheels which the Tamiya wheels from 58278 depict, but some special 15 inch rims with bigger cross section / sidewall tires

You're absolutely right and it's the one thing that really disappoints me when it comes to scale looks of Tamiyas. For me, tamiya make the best bodies and their detail is usually amazing but with wheels - since they stick to using the 'standard' touring size wheel and tyres, they just end up looking horrible and completely out of scale. You've done a great job making your own - the whole thing looks amazing. 

• Like 2

True words. Although i never thought about it. I can look over it on a lot of cars, e.g. an clk gtr - when you Look at the bbs from the side, its ok, even though the Real gt cars have larger wheels in the back...  but the width is really off. But a terrible side view is far worse i think than wrong width. But there i can ignore it.

Where they really nailed it is the 911 gt2 (993) i think. These wheels are perfect on the car. The newest 911 gt3 is worse though... 

I was really happy these vta wheels exist... because the tire you cant do yourself. With sticking to the low profile standard tires, i couldnt have done a lot about the proportions, no matter how much 3d printing i'd have done...

On 4/2/2023 at 12:29 PM, GermanTA03Guy said:

...and to finalize it and round it up a last set of exterior shots:

a_01bkevf.jpg

a_02b5il5.jpg

g_02pffvo.jpg

k_09o8c3r.jpg

e_02rteiy.jpg

e_03s0d02.jpg

Well, for now that´s it. Next thing is to fit all the electronics, and then I´ll post again when I have some driving pics.

Thanks for watching and commenting, feel free to discuss or ask -  it´s appreciated !

There really aren’t enough like buttons to compliment you on this . Exceptional work…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fame Update..... 

I got a 4-page-feature in the german rc car magazine "cars&details" which i'm of course proud of. For now a nice conclusion of the project, although i have a runner lexan Version and an improved Version 2.0 in mind (oh my....) .... anyway, happy days :)

20230628_14001767dyk.jpg

20230628_140040wpekp.jpg

• Like 10