2Dover3D

The Yellow n Black King Cab!

Ok so by now im sure a lot of you know how I feel about the king cab but believe it or not this beautiful black and yellow one right here that was featured in the 1990 April Edition of Radio Control Car Action Magazine was the first time I saw the King Cab. Thats right not the original box art one but this one. I remember like it was yesterday as a kid standing in the magazine section of the supermarket as my mom did grocery shopping I picked this issue up and my jaw dropped when I saw this truck. It was later on I found out the red white and blue was the original. But I still couldn't afford either one of them so I just had to settle with the magazine and drool over the pics. I owned this magazine twice as kid, lost it and tracked it down agian as an adult. I must have read the article 100 times and just imagined how much fun Tex McDonald (who I circled in the picture)was having while driving this beauty. Well my goal and dream is to have this truck and relive those great moments he was having in the article. I will start on the track tomorrow so wish me luck and stay tuned!

20230328_182507.jpg

20230328_165303.jpg

20230328_165238.jpg

20230328_182507.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, 2Dover3D said:

20230328_165303.jpg

I must have sketched that photo a thousand times it seems. The stance coming over that jump is awesome. Probably have the article memorized too!

• Like 2

I've often thought about doing a replica if Tamiya ever re-releases the King Cab itself.  Maybe they'll side-step getting Nissan copyright permission and will just do their own version of this one.  Everyone who owned a King Cab seemed to know about that particular one so it might even work out quite well for them.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 1:33 AM, Blista said:

I've often thought about doing a replica if Tamiya ever re-releases the King Cab itself.  Maybe they'll side-step getting Nissan copyright permission and will just do their own version of this one.  Everyone who owned a King Cab seemed to know about that particular one so it might even work out quite well for them.

I totally agree. I didn't know it was a license issue with nissan. Is that why they haven't re released it? I always wondered why they didn't yet as it is a high demand for it

15 minutes ago, 2Dover3D said:

I totally agree. I didn't know it was a license issue with nissan. Is that why they haven't re released it? I always wondered why they didn't yet as it is a high demand for it

It's possible but I think it's more likely they have other reasons.  At this point I'm really not sure what the hold up is.  The same could be said for a number of other cars of course!

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, Saito2 said:

I must have sketched that photo a thousand times it seems. The stance coming over that jump is awesome. Probably have the article memorized too!

Im going to try my best to mimic this iconic jump picture! 

• Like 1

This model had passed me by (it was way before my time to be fair - apologies if that makes you feel old!)

When I'd seen pictures of it in the past I'd assume it (and the Hilux it shared platforms with) were just TA02T style trucks. How wrong I was, it has a pretty unique chassis? Never been re-released I presume?

Sorry to invade your topic with noob questions.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 1:34 AM, ChrisRx718 said:

This model had passed me by (it was way before my time to be fair - apologies if that makes you feel old!)

When I'd seen pictures of it in the past I'd assume it (and the Hilux it shared platforms with) were just TA02T style trucks. How wrong I was, it has a pretty unique chassis? Never been re-released I presume?

Sorry to invade your topic with noob questions.

It's basically the Astute chassis drivetrain but attached to a much bigger chassis.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:57 PM, 2Dover3D said:

It's also likely because the King Cab (and Porsche 959/Celica) bodies were blow moulded, as opposed to vacuum formed. This is why these bodies were super detailed (and fragile) compared to any other offerings. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, 2Dover3D said:

I don’t get the licence bit for non re release. They obviously have agreements with Ford, VW, Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Toyota, not sure about Nissan, (are there Skylines in the current line up)as there  are models that are currently available from these manufacturers. The most obvious is the Ford Ranger F150 and the Pumpkin bodies. Both are still available in their non Ford clothing but why on earth would Ford not licence 40/50 year old vehicle bodies.??? What have they got to loose. The Mini Cooper is another although I don’t believe there are any BMW’s in the current line up so that maybe a reason. 

• Like 1