5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Hmm. I hope you don't mind if I respectfully disagree there, or at least put forward an alternative perspective?

In my view, the basic TT-02 chassis is not significantly better or worse than any other shaft drive plastic tub chassis out there in terms of layout, weight, stiffness, etc. The performance and longevity are as good or as bad as the suspension that is attached to it.

My TT-02 Type S features the same suspension as my TB-03, and consequently has almost identical performance, handling and ability to withstand crash damage.

If the SRX has the suspension of a TRF420, I would expect that it shows similar performance, handling and ability to resist crash damage as the TRF car, especially since it comes with the fiber reinforced hard chassis which is not far off in stiffness to a carbon deck, albeit with a bit of a weight penalty.

Very good point.  I have only had regular TT02's (and include the buggy in that too).  The issues I've had are mostly in the suspension arms, so swapping out to TRF416 or TRF420 arms would solve all but one problem (steering).  If they had one using TRF418 arms I would have considered them as I have a lot of spares for those already.  Theres no reason why the drivetrain is any better or worse than the TB series as they have essentially the same design and layout.  I guess I still think of any TT02 as an entry level chassis and not worth spending money on but those Type S/SR/SRX are different.

@Nicadraus those Express kits are nice.  Unfortunately the AT1S isn't allowed in the cheap shaft class due to the plate chassis.  I looked at the XQ10R as one of the local shops carries them and there are a lot at the club.  Went with the Yokomo BD11 due to a couple of the fast guys running them and been very willing to help with tuning etc.  I think all the race kits are as good as each other so its down to parts and setup support.  The Express are a bit cheaper though so they are definitely the value for money option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akimrc said:

Original SRX. Its on stock everywhere in Europe. 

Ah, guess I'll take back my obnoxious youtuber comment then. I do think that these super duper variants should be a bit less "limited edition", but thats just me being cranky.

I am curious as to how well the SRX will compete with more race-bred chassis. To me the TT-02s more at home on the street for a bit of on-road bashing.

Just now, Kpowell911 said:

Oh no!

I spotted it two days ago and it's been torturing me since. I assume the offer will be over shortly.

Bare in mind that it's Japan stock and will take a few weeks to get to you.

6 minutes ago, Simon998 said:

I spotted it two days ago and it's been torturing me since. I assume the offer will be over shortly.

Bare in mind that it's Japan stock and will take a few weeks to get to you.

Theres only 1 left. Please order it so I dont!

Looks awesome. I'd be straight in there if I didn't already have an SR. No doubt this has been discussed but it does seem mighty odd to me they specced this with the plastic no bearing TT-02 steering. 

5 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Looks awesome. I'd be straight in there if I didn't already have an SR. No doubt this has been discussed but it does seem mighty odd to me they specced this with the plastic no bearing TT-02 steering. 

I think Tamiyas been going out of their way to make sure that everyone buys that hop-up. The TT-01E accepts bearings yet the TT-02 uses the old TT-01 design.

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Nicadraus those Express kits are nice.  Unfortunately the AT1S isn't allowed in the cheap shaft class due to the plate chassis.  I looked at the XQ10R as one of the local shops carries them and there are a lot at the club.  Went with the Yokomo BD11 due to a couple of the fast guys running them and been very willing to help with tuning etc.  I think all the race kits are as good as each other so its down to parts and setup support.  The Express are a bit cheaper though so they are definitely the value for money option.

Ah yes the AT1/AT1S. How did I forget that? Another one on my "consider" list of touring cars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I think Tamiyas been going out of their way to make sure that everyone buys that hop-up. The TT-01E accepts bearings yet the TT-02 uses the old TT-01 design.

Whats the part number for the upgraded steering that works for the SRX?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Whats the part number for the upgraded steering that works for the SRX?

I'm pretty sure you'd use the same parts as a regular TT-02.

TAM54574

TAM54575

I woner if the SRX will be the last of the TT-02 chassis...? Although I doubt Tamiya could really improve on much for a TT-03.

48 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I woner if the SRX will be the last of the TT-02 chassis...? Although I doubt Tamiya could really improve on much for a TT-03.

It wouldn't surprise me, both the SRX and the TT-02BR may as well be "ultimate" TT-02s.

There are a few areas Tamiya that could improve on the TT-03, chiefly more standard features in kits (and if that means a $20 price increase that's fine with me, can't cost more than $5 to include bearings and oil filled CVAs).

54 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Im leaning imto it being the final and ‘ultimate’ one to be honest

29 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Im leaning imto it being the final and ‘ultimate’ one to be honest

Until they come out with a SRXXXXXX.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Simon998 said:

Ive done it now, couldnt resist at 60% of the UK price inc any charges.  Ive been informed its gonna be a long wait as its coming from Tokyo. Im going to put my TRF big bores on it. Got a load of hop ups ready to order, just need to decided on electrics and some tyres

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Until they come out with a SRXXXXXX.

Im planning to make a TRF TT-02 SRX haha

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Ah, guess I'll take back my obnoxious youtuber comment then. I do think that these super duper variants should be a bit less "limited edition", but thats just me being cranky.

I am curious as to how well the SRX will compete with more race-bred chassis. To me the TT-02s more at home on the street for a bit of on-road bashing.

Hello,

I was racing in Hudy Arena (XRS Slovakia) stock class with Justock 13.5T (5.0 FDR) Zero boost, ETS high traction carpet.
We have pretty good competition with plenty of factory drivers (and non-factory drivers, but with time and money to be on the track every day).

I was on the track with SRX only on two practice days (that means little lower traction like racing day).
I am solid driver, not fastest, but i do not need marshalling all day long :D I know, how to do with car and setup.

First practice day was on stock car (with new steering set and motor mount). My best lap was 14,1s.
Car have too much grip on front and overal was pretty slow, but consistent. Shocks was stock CVA with TRF pistons and shims under for downstops settings (F6/R5)
The small plastic C-parts on driveshafts in front spool are weak spot. I have 3 broken without crash. Changed to orange Xray with zero issues. (center cardan and rear diff are OK)

Next day i have some new parts for test. I have stablizers, and alu shock with Axon springs front 2,55-2,85/rear 2,6 (and 2,7).
Diff oil changed to 7K. Car was much better. My best lap was 13,8s.

For reference, that week was a racing day in Saturday.
I am driving older Xray T4 2019. I was finished 12 overall (second in B-main, or something that)
- my best lap that day was 13,5s.
- non factory fast drivers with X4 2023 have 13,1-13,3s laptimes
- factory driver Adam Izsay with X4 2023 have 12,6-12,7s laps...

The gap is not much on paper. But in reality with competition we have here, the SRX is 10 position back, in C-Main in my hands.
But other hand, there is still plenty to do with setup etc. Even bodyshell can improve overall car, and my bodyshell was not ideal for that track.

Next testing will be outdoor on asphalt (next month i think).

:)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive done it now, couldnt resist at 60% of the UK price inc any charges.  Ive been informed its gonna be a long wait as its coming from Tokyo. Im going to put my TRF big bores on it. Got a load of hop ups ready to order, just need to decided on electrics and some tyres

I'll take my 5% commission via PayPal

:D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, qatmix said:

https://www.thercracer.com/2020/10/54965-tamiya-tt02-type-s-aluminum.html

This is the best hop-up steering part. Although the kit plastic arms in the SR and SRX are fine as they use a flange and a lower screw attachment. 

If anyone with a SRX is upgrading to the Alu steering hop-up, can I buy the flanged inserts off you? We aren't allowed to upgrade the steering in my race series but those flanged spacers look to be the cure to my steering issues.

Built the TB05R today and I can't see a TT02 getting close, no matter what the extras. It was NZD220 / USD140 / GBP110 ish more than the SRX but came with alloy steering, SSBB alloy dampers and all the blue bits. The dampers and steering alone pretty much make up that price difference but the TB kit is all carbon reinforced plastic, hex machine screws and its about as close to a race kit as you could make a plastic car. It has a much more substantial motor mount with slots to adjust gear mesh and normal spurs fit (although I assume the SRX comes with the high speed gearset?).

My experince of TT02 kits involve cheap plastic and self tappers, so assuming the SRX still has that in the tub then it still doesn't stack up with the same suspension as the TB05R/TRF420

I would definitely spend the extra on a TA or TB car (or save money and buy the Pro!)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Built the TB05R today and I can't see a TT02 getting close, no matter what the extras. It was NZD220 / USD140 / GBP110 ish more than the SRX but came with alloy steering, SSBB alloy dampers and all the blue bits. The dampers and steering alone pretty much make up that price difference but the TB kit is all carbon reinforced plastic, hex machine screws and its about as close to a race kit as you could make a plastic car. It has a much more substantial motor mount with slots to adjust gear mesh and normal spurs fit (although I assume the SRX comes with the high speed gearset?).

My experince of TT02 kits involve cheap plastic and self tappers, so assuming the SRX still has that in the tub then it still doesn't stack up with the same suspension as the TB05R/TRF420

I would definitely spend the extra on a TA or TB car (or save money and buy the Pro!)

I do tend to agree, at the UK RRP, theyre very expensive and there are much better options. Unless the specific club rules suggest you need one, theres no need to buy it. I like the TT02, and I see this as a swansong or a finale, that I admit could come better equipped (no alloy motor mount?) but for pretty much £100 off the UK Price, ive took a punt

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I'm considering just buying an old TA-02 myself, they're about the same price as a new TT.

Most of these super duper TT-02 variants fail to address the basic things that I want (motor mount, steering). For on-road bashing (the TTs real strength) I just want better steering and metal driveline parts, all things that came with a bone stock TL-01.

• Like 1