8 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

fail to address the basic things that I want (motor mount, steering)

Note the TA-02 do have short comings too, particularly in these department you listed.

Motor mount - plastic, known to crack at the screw points. Metal upgrade available.

Steering - it uses the 'coat hanger arrangement, just a steel rod linking left and right. Personally, I feel there is a lot of play but me using it as a Ra build, it is not so much of a problem.

Another part I am not happy with is the prop shaft, it feels really loose as if it will pop out easily. It may never though. Harden upgrades are available but a little hard to find or TT style upgrade also available from 3rd parties.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Note the TA-02 do have short comings too, particularly in these department you listed.

Motor mount - plastic, known to crack at the screw points. Metal upgrade available.

Given the age I figured that cracking plastics would be a thing. Since you've built a TA-02 I'll take your word on it's shortcomings.

I am curious, how would you compare a TA-02 to a TT-02?

Even though I have a Type S, I have considered buying a stock TT-02 kit. Only problem is I feel like I'd be put off by all of the plastic. My stock TT-01s always felt very cheap.

28 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I  am curious, how would you compare a TA-02 to a TT-02?

I never have a TT-02, just a TT-01. Can never bring myself to buy a TT-02 once I priced it up properly.

Now between the TT-01 and TA-02, I like the TA-02 more. It just feels more serious like, with separate front and rear gearbox, instead of the 'throw everything into the tub approach of the TT. Drive wise will be harder to compare as they are 13 years apart, and I am talking about their build date, not release date. Personally, my feeling is the TT just feels too toy like and takes too much to lift it up while the TA is a bit more serious. Of course you can go all out and go TB or TRF, but I think bringing them into a <£200 conversation is just missing the point.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I never have a TT-02, just a TT-01. Can never bring myself to buy a TT-02 once I priced it up properly.

Now between the TT-01 and TA-02, I like the TA-02 more. It just feels more serious like, with separate front and rear gearbox, instead of the 'throw everything into the tub approach of the TT. Drive wise will be harder to compare as they are 13 years apart, and I am talking about their build date, not release date. Personally, my feeling is the TT just feels too toy like and takes too much to lift it up while the TA is a bit more serious. Of course you can go all out and go TB or TRF, but I think bringing them into a <£200 conversation is just missing the point.

Totally agree with this. The TA02 may be old, but it was the race car back in the day. You can see that in more metal pivots and broadly more robust construction. Less production engineering to build down to a price. When I raced the 2021 season I got into it with a TT01E for stock class. It was really hard to set up but I got there, but after 8 race meetings it needed a new tub, new front arms, dog bones etc. It was pretty shot, and when I re-tubbed it  it was never quite as good again. Got frustrated and started running my FF01. It similar running gear and construction to the TA02. Despite its reputation for fragility it's been amazing. Even the notorious diff only just wore the splines out and that was after many races and lots of running. I briefly had a TA02 and had equally delightful character. Only lack of high speed gearset at the time made me sell it. 

• Like 3

TA02 never was a racing chassis. Its a basic platform for offroad and onroad from mid nineties. Its heavy, not durable and outdated for today standards.
TT02 have much better plastic like old TT01. And SRX only shares tub chassis, blukheads, and some plastic parts. Drivetrain is new (XV02) and suspension is from TRF 420.

But, if budged is tight, best chassis from Tamiya with racing in mind, hands down, is TA05v2. (but some parts and optionals are hard to get)

3 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I  am curious, how would you compare a TA-02 to a TT-02?

Just to clarify...

As pointed out in the post above this, the TA-02 was never a race chassis. Since I don't race, perhaps I do not appreciate the finer aspects of a TT chassis. Therefore my stated preference for TA-02 in my earlier post is a strictly personal view for my own needs, make of it what you will. I bash and like the TA-02 better as a basher, outdated or not.

• Like 1

Given the age I figured that cracking plastics would be a thing. Since you've built a TA-02 I'll take your word on it's shortcomings.

I am curious, how would you compare a TA-02 to a TT-02?

Even though I have a Type S, I have considered buying a stock TT-02 kit. Only problem is I feel like I'd be put off by all of the plastic. My stock TT-01s always felt very cheap.

Since you already have a type S, I see no point in getting a base TT-02 unless you are racing it in TCS or TT-02 spec class where Type S, SR and SRX are not allowed. If you are put off by the plastic in the TT-01, then you will be disappointed in a stock TA02 especially with its brittle plastic on the motor mount, gearbox cases and damper stays. The only metal in it are the dogbones and prop shaft, but being as thin as a coat hanger, it’s no better than the plastic prop shaft in the TT cars. Don’t get me wrong, I love the TA02, I have a couple of them including one which was my first hobby grade RC, just giving my honest opinion having owned a TA02 since 1996. Just like a TT-01 or TT-02, it will need a lot of hopups, and these aren’t as cheap and aren’t as readily available as the hopups for the TT cars

EB173325-E071-41AE-BC25-3B928A3E57CD.thumb.jpeg.871491c19bce484c30ea4cabe4c212b3.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, one_hit said:

Since you already have a type S, I see no point in getting a base TT-02 unless you are racing it in TCS or TT-02 spec class where Type S, SR and SRX are not allowed. If you are put off by the plastic in the TT-01, then you will be disappointed in a stock TA02 especially with its brittle plastic on the motor mount, gearbox cases and damper stays. The only metal in it are the dogbones and prop shaft, but being as thin as a coat hanger, it’s no better than the plastic prop shaft in the TT cars. Don’t get me wrong, I love the TA02, I have a couple of them including one which was my first hobby grade RC, just giving my honest opinion having owned a TA02 since 1996. Just like a TT-01 or TT-02, it will need a lot of hopups, and these aren’t as cheap and aren’t as readily available as the hopups for the TT cars

EB173325-E071-41AE-BC25-3B928A3E57CD.thumb.jpeg.871491c19bce484c30ea4cabe4c212b3.jpeg

Thank you for the heads up, I think I'll stick with my TT-02s and M chassis for now. It's mostly the plastic dogbones/cups that felt very toy like to me.

37 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Thank you for the heads up, I think I'll stick with my TT-02s and M chassis for now. It's mostly the plastic dogbones/cups that felt very toy like to me.

Yes the plastic dogbones and diff cups do suck, but third party no-name universal drive shafts and metal diff cups for the TT cars are very cheap. If you are itching to get another touring car, I suggest getting something belt driven so you can experience something different from what you have. 

4 hours ago, akimrc said:

TA02 never was a racing chassis. 

The TA02 was THE stock touring chassis back in the day. No one ran the carbon cars in the silvercan classes, they were only run in mod class. It was about the only thing available.

Obviously it wasn't great compared to other more expensive cars. Now the TA and TB cars overlap with TRF (TA07MS / MSX)  but the price matches TRF.

45 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The TA02 was THE stock touring chassis back in the day. No one ran the carbon cars in the silvercan classes, they were only run in mod class. It was about the only thing available.

Obviously it wasn't great compared to other more expensive cars. Now the TA and TB cars overlap with TRF (TA07MS / MSX)  but the price matches TRF.

:) back in the day, onroad classes was 1/12 or Pro10. Touring cars started circa 1997/98.
TA01/02 (93) was hobby grade chassis. People bring it to the track, but thats all. First competetive car was conversion for TA02 from HPI and then final product RS4.
First racing onroad chassis from Tamiya was TRF404 prototype.
And carbon cars was not everything. I remember how succesfull was Asso TC3 tub chassis. (3x european champion and many other titles)

But thats not a problem. Every chassis have pros and cons. And everyone can make decission for yourself. Its beautiful hobby :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Built the TB05R today and I can't see a TT02 getting close, no matter what the extras. It was NZD220 / USD140 / GBP110 ish more than the SRX but came with alloy steering, SSBB alloy dampers and all the blue bits. The dampers and steering alone pretty much make up that price difference but the TB kit is all carbon reinforced plastic, hex machine screws and its about as close to a race kit as you could make a plastic car. It has a much more substantial motor mount with slots to adjust gear mesh and normal spurs fit (although I assume the SRX comes with the high speed gearset?).

My experince of TT02 kits involve cheap plastic and self tappers, so assuming the SRX still has that in the tub then it still doesn't stack up with the same suspension as the TB05R/TRF420

I would definitely spend the extra on a TA or TB car (or save money and buy the Pro!)

I think the SRX comes with different plastics than a regular TT02 e.g. hardened deck, the suspension parts/uprights etc are hardened also. The shock towers are also not regular ABS. The Type S towers are FRP, so imagine the SRX has the same or better.

But yeah, probably not as good as the TB05 still.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akimrc said:

:) back in the day, onroad classes was 1/12 or Pro10. Touring cars started circa 1997/98.
TA01/02 (93) was hobby grade chassis. People bring it to the track, but thats all. First competetive car was conversion for TA02 from HPI and then final product RS4.
First racing onroad chassis from Tamiya was TRF404 prototype.
And carbon cars was not everything. I remember how succesfull was Asso TC3 tub chassis. (3x european champion and many other titles)

But thats not a problem. Every chassis have pros and cons. And everyone can make decission for yourself. Its beautiful hobby :)

Haha, going way back. Still see some Pro10 and Pro12 around depending on the club. I started in about 1995 and it was all TA02 in the silvercan class.

Last time I checked the NZRCA rules still exclude the 4 slot johnson for touring stock class now, it seemed amazing back then that people would buy a kit just for the motor

10 hours ago, one_hit said:

Yes the plastic dogbones and diff cups do suck, but third party no-name universal drive shafts and metal diff cups for the TT cars are very cheap. If you are itching to get another touring car, I suggest getting something belt driven so you can experience something different from what you have. 

I wouldn't mind one of the front-motor belt driven cars, thanks to my M chassis experiences I've already driven a variety of layouts.

I'm curious to know how many of these SRX's will end up as street bashers. That's really where TTs belong imo, or something for newcomers to get their feet wet with racing.

7 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I wouldn't mind one of the front-motor belt driven cars, thanks to my M chassis experiences I've already driven a variety of layouts.

I'm curious to know how many of these SRX's will end up as street bashers. That's really where TTs belong imo, or something for newcomers to get their feet wet with racing.

Ive no idea what to do with mine. Ive got £80 worth of hop ups in a basket from PJ, and I still need electrics and a shell. I may wait for it to arrive and sell it on NIB as I have no real use for it.

1 minute ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive no idea what to do with mine. Ive got £80 worth of hop ups in a basket from PJ, and I still need electrics and a shell. I may wait for it to arrive and sell it on NIB as I have no real use for it.

That sounds like something I would do... Can't you cancel the eBay transaction?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, toyolien said:

That sounds like something I would do... Can't you cancel the eBay transaction?

Its a UK Gaming shop who special order the item from Tokyo. They were fully transparent in their description, explaining its a slow process, and they take care of all import fee’s etc. They even messaged me within minutes of payment to explain the process and ask if I want to go ahead with the transaction to which I said yes. Theyve been great and I dont wanna mess them about. The upside to this, eBay’s 20% voucher was applicable so I got it for £239.99 all in. Cheapest Ive found in the UK is £308-£329? Logic was, my hop ups would make this same price as a UK model, and I already have TRF Big Bores. But with say £200 of electrics and a shell plus wheels and tyres, this is going to be a £600 model I have no use for me. 

Other optiin is keep it NIB for an xmas project in 8 months. 

41 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Its a UK Gaming shop who special order the item from Tokyo. They were fully transparent in their description, explaining its a slow process, and they take care of all import fee’s etc. They even messaged me within minutes of payment to explain the process and ask if I want to go ahead with the transaction to which I said yes. Theyve been great and I dont wanna mess them about. The upside to this, eBay’s 20% voucher was applicable so I got it for £239.99 all in. Cheapest Ive found in the UK is £308-£329? Logic was, my hop ups would make this same price as a UK model, and I already have TRF Big Bores. But with say £200 of electrics and a shell plus wheels and tyres, this is going to be a £600 model I have no use for me. 

Other optiin is keep it NIB for an xmas project in 8 months. 

Aah I see. Might be worth keeping then. At least until you decide what you want to do with it.

I'm exactly the same. I get carried away with a kit, ordering hop ups, and planning the build. Then I think (usually just as stuff is arriving), when am I going to use this? And so it gets sold, and the process begins again... However, now that I've realised what I do, I'm only having a select few vehicles that will actually get driven. Then I don't mind buying hop ups for these... The SRX is one of those that I have sitting here. Currently deciding which way to go with it. I don't race anymore, so all my builds are just for fun at the local park, and empty car parks etc...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

I would suggest to either sell it on if the cost gets to be too much, you might end up flinching anytime it gets a wheel caught and it rolls over, or the chassis has a new scuff on it.

Alternitively you could buy a cheap TT-02 kit, use the body/wheels/electronics from it, then sell off the chassis/manual...or keep the spares for a future project!

I would suggest to either sell it on if the cost gets to be too much, you might end up flinching anytime it gets a wheel caught and it rolls over, or the chassis has a new scuff on it.

Alternitively you could buy a cheap TT-02 kit, use the body/wheels/electronics from it, then sell off the chassis/manual...or keep the spares for a future project!

Meh its only money. Cant take It with you!

• Like 2

A bog standard TT02 will be faster than a bog standard TA02. It's heavy, has terrible base suspension geometry for an modern on-road car, the steering is not very good and it also has a very draggy drive train.  It's also really heavy.  

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of love for those cars, I raced a TA01 in the very early days of the what became the modern TC class, the TA02 was better simply because of the weight distribution of the battery and the shorter prop shaft. It was the only race chassis available at that time until Yokomo released the YR4 and it started to come over to the UK early in 94. Although to be honest the original version was pretty poor. The preferred kit was a TA02 with the HPI kit. 

I always have a soft spot for a Tamiya tub chassis. It's still fun after a race when someone comes over to see a TT02 on your set-up board.. A fully tooled up one is surprisingly neutral and easy to drive at a club level in 17.5t.

• Like 4

I’ve got an SRX and the only thing I wasn’t happy about was the plastic motor mount, I’d of expected a metal one for the price. Other than that I’m very happy with it 👍

• Like 4

On 4/2/2023 at 5:38 PM, Kpowell911 said:

Meh its only money. Cant take It with you!

£130 on Plaza Japan later Im gonna keep it. Max 10 SCT Combo too. 

Ive no idea on a shell. Kinda want an Evo?

1 hour ago, Andylincs said:

I’ve got an SRX and the only thing I wasn’t happy about was the plastic motor mount, I’d of expected a metal one for the price. Other than that I’m very happy with it 👍

I was shocked too when I flicked though the manual. I also expected better shocks, especially compared to the TT02BR

19 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

£130 on Plaza Japan later Im gonna keep it. Max 10 SCT Combo too. 

Ive no idea on a shell. Kinda want an Evo?

I went for a skyline, just need to fit the livery

58CCBAA9-4B04-4E83-B749-AC63D206DF84.jpeg

0529868D-9E91-4A23-9789-1994060A4490.jpeg

43306A53-5411-4556-8F2F-CD5AD7FB0427.jpeg

0DAA5CCB-AA2E-4247-9F0A-7412D6943D9E.jpeg

• Like 1