skom25

TBLE 02S vs HW 1060

Hi,

I read some comparisons of those two ESCs but it is still not clear for me.

Is there any advantage of HW 1060 over TBLE 02S? Someone suggested that HW has much better modulation. I heard also that HW is faster.

What is your opinion? Do you have direct comparison? Is it worth to replace TBLE 02S with HW 1060?

You really need to compare apples to apples, I use both of these ESC’s but for completely different uses in my runners…

‘If I want a brushless ESC that handles a brushless sensored motor down to 13.5 , or down to a 10.5 sensored brushless with the optional fan(I got some fans from Ali Express for like $2) I would use the Tamiya ESC, good control and even better when it comes in a kit . I don’t bother running brushed motors on this speedie. You need a lipo alarm if running lipo or you need to check your voltage when running to not go down too low. I do run lipos on this speedie, no issue.

For my runners that have hot brushed motors, the HW1060 is unbeatable value and very reliable, I haven’t killed one yet, brushed motors down to 12 turn from memory are supported but I have run lower , you can also run mild brushed motors on a 3 cell.

the HW1060 also has low voltage cutoff for lipos.

Does this further explain these? the Tamiya can run brushless and brushed motors, but pretty much only stock brushed, while the hobby wing only runs brushed, but can run hot powerful motors and it features low voltage cutoff for lipos too.

• Like 3

Thanks!

I have Torque Tuned motor and NiMh batteries. I will stick with that, because I do not see reason to have much more powerful set. I prefer control, not pure speed and going straight.

In that case, is there any advantage of HW over TBLE? 

The 1060 is significantly cheaper than the TBLE which, makes it a done deal for me. I'll use the TBLE if its in the kit, but if I have to buy it separately I'll order Hobbywing every time. Either the 1060 for brushed motors or the Hobbywing 10BL60 or Max10 if its running a hot brushless setup.

I think the 1060 is also 3S LiPo compatible from the factory, which the TBLE isn't.

• Like 1

I already have TBLE from kit.

In that case, there is no real advantage of 1060?

No, no advantage and in fact there are more settings you can change on the TBLE than the 1060.

I use TBLEs on most re-re kits because they have the proper sized on/off switch to fit in the old chassis where the holes are invariably on the bottom for easy access with the bodyshell on.  I also tend to run them on Tamiya brushed motors less powerful than Super Stocks so they're spot on.

So for me it's kit dependent - do I need the big on/off switch or do I want to run a hotter motor?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

I already have TBLE from kit.

In that case, there is no real advantage of 1060?

One big problem I always have with the TBLEs is their BEC is too weak (1.5A vs 3A) to run anything other than a basic servo of about 4 - 5kg. At one point, my cars not keeping neutral problem had been blamed on my "cheap" radio gear. Luckily I ignored that advice and installed an UBEC instead and that solved the problem. It proved that my radio gear is not a problem at all. What really happened is the 9kg servo drew more power (2.7A tested) than the TBLE can provide and the BEC trip, causing the RX to cycle and the twitch you see in the video below is the RX coming on again and the TBLE startup sequence.

TBLE, no UBEC

With UBEC

Other advantage is the 1060 can run far more powerful motors than the TBLE.

• Like 2

I have 15 kg SRT servo and have not experienced such an issue. Works fine.

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

I have 15 kg SRT servo and have not experienced such an issue. Works fine.

I found on another forum that servos draw 1A per 3 - 4kg as a ballpark. So I used that as a guideline.

I had since got a brushless program card that can test servos. I had tested a few and found that is about true. So now I match servo to ESC based on tested draw. I had found that sometimes things fall outside this calculation (5kg drawing 2.2A) and a fellow forum member explained to me that speed play a factor too.

One thing to consider is that some BEC problems can be resolved with a simple capacitor plugged in a free receiver port - these are actually called "glitch busters". My Savöx 1258 servo is fast and causes large burst of power demand. These would cause the car to go nuts whenever I touched the steering stick. The capacitor solved that completely without affecting the servo performance, at least as far as I can tell. That was with a 1080 ESC. Funnily enough that capacitor came as a freebie with another Savöx servo that did not require it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skom25 said:

Hi,

I read some comparisons of those two ESCs but it is still not clear for me.

Is there any advantage of HW 1060 over TBLE 02S? Someone suggested that HW has much better modulation. I heard also that HW is faster.

What is your opinion? Do you have direct comparison? Is it worth to replace TBLE 02S with HW 1060?

The older TBLE02S had decent modulation, but the latter years it lost it for some reason (cost cutting?).

I don't know about the 1060 allowing faster speeds..

I have like 20 TBLE02S and a bunch more of the 1060's.. so I suppose I have some back to back experience.   Heck I'm installing one right now on my Tomahawk with LeMans 490.  :D

• Like 1

The 1060 can run lower turn brushed motors down to 15 turn 540s or 12t 550s. Its also waterproof.

The TBLE02 can run brushless, has longer motor wires, a switch that fits into Tamiyas cut outs, but its also prone to brown out issues.

It really comes down to what you plan to do with each individual model. Generally I run 1060s myself.

• Like 2

In terms of which I prefer to get in a kit, I prefer the TBLE-02S since if I want to go brushless all I have to buy is a motor and a fan. If plan on using the stock brushed on that kit I’ll replace the TBLE with a 1060 and keep the TBLE for a future brushless project. It’s so much cheaper to buy a 1060 at $20 vs $50 for a TBLE or Quicrun brushless ESC. Some people have reported problems with the BEC on the TBLE, but on the 5 that I have installed, none have this problem including one paired with a Futaba BLS-351 servo (15.63kg-cm of torque) and a couple paired with Futaba S9551 servos (8.79 kg-cm). 

• Like 1

When I first started racing my stock TT02 at my local carpet track I used tble02 as it came in the kit and it was decent enough to start with. Pretty much all the other racers said the 1060 was better though. My tble02 eventually started cutting out so swapped it with a 1060 and can confirm the modulation on throttle was much smoother and the brakes are better. Not sure it made the car any faster but I much prefer it. Just make sure to buy a genuine 1060 as my first cheap rep (I thought was genuine) caught fire in its first outing!

I bought TT-02B which came with Carson Dragster ESC, which seems to be HW 1060 with different sticker. It will not be 1:1 comparison because TBLE is in DT-03, but maybe I will notice difference.

1 hour ago, skom25 said:

I bought TT-02B which came with Carson Dragster ESC, which seems to be HW 1060 with different sticker. It will not be 1:1 comparison because TBLE is in DT-03, but maybe I will notice difference.

Remember to set your EPA on your TX. I find that 1060s tends to top out at about 70% throttle, so the reminding 30% movement is useless. By adjusting EPA, you can a better spread of control throughout the throttle movement range. Just observe the blinking light to know when you set it correctly.

• Like 1

I got an TBLE-04S in my Wild Willy 2 kit. How is that one compared to TBLE-02S and  HW 1060 ?

On 4/9/2023 at 6:29 PM, Dan1891 said:

I got an TBLE-04S in my Wild Willy 2 kit. How is that one compared to TBLE-02S and  HW 1060 ?

The 04 is said to be worse than the 02 in various forum posts but I do not have hard numbers. I had more personal experience with the 04 (many) than the 02 (only one) and have to say I did not have a good time with them. Note that I only got a 02 after multiple 04s so I became wary of them and am careful to only pair them with basic light servos. There are some who said they used the TBLEs with massive torque servos (20kg? 30kg? 2T?) and never had a problem so maybe it is just me having bad luck that mine will have problems with just a 9kg.

I've sold any TBLE 02 and more recently the 04s nip and bought either the 1060 and a 15t firebolt (before the recent price hike, I could get £20 for an 02s, and pay £21 for the 1060 esc and 15t)  if staying brushed ,or a 10bl120 esc if going brushless.

The 1060 is less of a faff imo, has lipo cut off, run down to a 10t brushed and run 3s lipo (although, seemingly the 02s will run 3s lipo too)

I fitted HW 1060 yesterday to my DT-03 with Torque Tuned. It is Carson Dragster ESC but in fact, it is just another OEM HW 1060.

Today I ran on my course where I run for at least month, so I have direct comparison in car behaviour.

Throttle feels much, much better. On TBLE I had to set exponential to -30% to have any control. Using HW I set 0%, because it feels really linear and predictable.

Brakes are very strong. To not rotate car every time when I press brake, I set 80% Brake EPA on TBLE. On HW I decreased it to 60% and still feels that brakes are stronger.

Car feels little bit more dynamic but it can be related to better modulation of throttle. Hard to say.

Did not find any difference in sterring.

I really recommend to change TBLE with HW for brushed motor.

Maybe I had better day today or ESC change worked as motivator but my run todays felt much better. Usually I hit track cones each few laps ( lap is around 20 seconds). Today I hit them only three or four times during around 40 minutes run.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, skom25 said:

Brakes are very strong. To not rotate car every time when I press brake, I set 80% Brake EPA on TBLE. On HW I decreased it to 60% and still feels that brakes are stronger.

For me it is the weak point on my 1060s. Maybe it has something to do with my Sanwa radio, even if I tried different settings with no success, but on two of my three 1060 the break is that weak that I prefer the Tamiya ESC or other brands. One is acceptable but not more. Maybe bad luck or the mentioned Sanwa radio is not suitable.

I have Sanwa MX-6 and on surface with very high grip, I can block wheels with just a touch.

Remember that currently I write about RWD car.